RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine shuts off at 35 mph, clock resets to 1:00AM

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-02, 12:02 PM
gk99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine shuts off at 35 mph, clock resets to 1:00AM

My wife was driving our '99 RX300 (~47K miles) at about 35 mph when the engine just shut off -- all of the lights on the dashboard appeared, and the car coasted to a stop.

I brought the car in 2 weeks ago (twice in one week) to fix a problem when turning the engine on -- the "information screen" always reset the clock to 1:00AM, and put random values for the MPG & average speed. The dealer replaced the battery both times (new battery, both times). After the first time, the problem re-appeared. After the second time, all was well until today -- when the engine just shut off.

I am dropping the car off at the dealership on Monday to (hopefully) take care of the problem. My concern is that they don't know what is causing the problem. Yeah, a free battery is nice -- but I'd prefer to get the car working. I've never had a problem with it until now (4 years old in October).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-02, 08:08 AM
Handogen
Driver

Sounds like bad wiring to me... rare but not impossible.

After the RX shuts off at 35mph and stops, does the power come back and you can resume driving? If it's at an exact point then it might be some kind of computer problem.

Not sure if it's the same thing, but my Dad used to overload his VW Van in Hawaii. When he'd go over the Pali Highway with a full load, the van's computer would shut down from being overstressed. Your RX is obviously not being overstressed, but maybe the computer thinks it is?

Best of luck with that. I hope you get some good techs to look at the problem.

Take care,
Hando
Old 09-04-02, 04:51 PM
kb2yza
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This unfortunatly could be a computer related issue or a communication issue between your computer and the various sensors and display which is a wiring problem/ voltage problem. Have you added any thing to it? System? Etc. if so try dis conectining it if it is easy or at least leave it off although some amps still draw current. And also you may want to note if it is cold or hoter than normal since the computer may be functioning improperly due to the outdoor extremes. Hope they can find your problem.
Old 09-22-02, 05:53 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

I just bought a 99 RX Friday, and I have also noticed that my clock sometimes resets to 1:00am after starting, and a couple of times, the digital display would not even turn on. But I could turn the RX off and recrank it and it would come on. I sure hope this isnt a bad sign as far as having to replace that unit, I'm sure it isn't cheap.

Anyone else had problems with their clock resetting to 1:00am? Also, it didnt have any owners manuals with it. How do you set the clock and is there any other place than the dealer I can order a set of manuals for it at?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-22-02, 08:22 PM
kb2yza
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clock

Well setting the clock is almost as easy as starting the car. look above your casette player there is a button marked "CLOCK" press that and watch the blue display. It will cycle between alarm on/ off, the alarm time, military time, and normal time. (not the same order as above) It your choice what you want to change but to change it you will use the buttons below the display to go change the Hour and minutes (much like an atm machine). Enjoy your new lexus.
Old 09-22-02, 08:34 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Thanks, I am really enjoying it so far. I do need to get ahold of a set of owners manuals though.
Old 09-24-02, 05:16 PM
Handogen
Driver

Check out eBay for owner's manuals... I always see a set of books floating around on there. I didn't pay close attention to how much they sold for (as I already have a set), but you'll no doubt get 'em cheaper than if you were to order a set from Lexus parts/accessories.

Hando
Old 09-25-02, 12:30 AM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Yeah I looked on Ebay and saw a set for $29.00. May get em'.