RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aftermarket vs. OEM Transmission filter/seal kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 01:44 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan300
But hey we still have ethanol I went to my local Kragen/O'reily last nite and only saw Valvoline ATF full synthetic for $5ea. My plan is to use the cheaper fluid for the first 2 drain/fill and then Amsoil on the final (along with new crush washers and pan gasket) to reach 70% fresh tranny fluid.

Was this your process as well (using cheaper fluid on first and 2nd refills)?

Rethink..
Multi-drain and fill is to get enough of the new fluid in the torque converter etc. So if you use sub-standard stuff, that will remain in the system.

Salim
Old 01-10-11, 02:44 PM
Ryan300
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Rethink..
Multi-drain and fill is to get enough of the new fluid in the torque converter etc. So if you use sub-standard stuff, that will remain in the system.

Salim
Agree. I think I'll use Amsoil ATF.

Update question:

I'm curious how you guys feel about having 75% fresh synthetic mixing with 25% leftover (old) "non-sythetic" ATF after the multi-drain/fill?

Did you notice anything on performance of the tranny- sound, power, etc?

Last edited by Ryan300; 01-10-11 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-11-11, 07:43 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

When I switched to the Mobil 1 I noticed smoother shifting....and mind you that is on a tranny that has 80k on it. (my second transmission)
Old 01-11-11, 08:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

First time I switched from Type IV to Amsoil, I felt a difference on the first drain and fill. Also, smoother shifting, vehicle felt more fluid...more pep on the light. I am using Redline D4 right now as a test.
Old 01-11-11, 08:49 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
First time I switched from Type IV to Amsoil, I felt a difference on the first drain and fill. Also, smoother shifting, vehicle felt more fluid...more pep on the light. I am using Redline D4 right now as a test.
And the initial experience is ....?

Salim
Old 01-12-11, 06:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by salimshah
And the initial experience is ....?

Salim
Right after the first drain and fill (Type IV to Amsoil), I took off down the street and it felt more fluid between the gears changes than when I had previously done those changes alone with Type IV. Felt like a 'second wind' or burst of energy on the acceleration and the gear changovers were like silk.

Give you probably a better analogy, it felt like I had just put air pressure back into the tires and the vehicle was accelerating better.
Old 01-12-11, 11:20 AM
Ryan300
Driver

I probably should have asked this long time ago, but how many qts did you use per drain/fill? I'm thinking 5 qts per drain/fill (3x) to achieve 75% clean ATF.

Is this correct?
Old 01-12-11, 03:40 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I probably should have asked this long time ago, but how many qts did you use per drain/fill? I'm thinking 5 qts per drain/fill (3x) to achieve 75% clean ATF.

Is this correct?
My 2001 takes 4 1/4 everytime.
Old 01-16-11, 03:49 PM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Right after the first drain and fill (Type IV to Amsoil), I took off down the street and it felt more fluid between the gears changes than when I had previously done those changes alone with Type IV. Felt like a 'second wind' or burst of energy on the acceleration and the gear changovers were like silk.

Give you probably a better analogy, it felt like I had just put air pressure back into the tires and the vehicle was accelerating better.
I am considering using Toyota WS fluid (or its equivilent) on the next tranny fluid 'drop & drain' on my 99 RX. Do you or others on this board recommend using this new fluid? I understand that it is supposed to be backwards compatable, but would like to hear comments. The newer fluid appears to be more MPG friendly due to it having a lower viscosity or at least appearing that way. I am also hoping there would be other benefits of the newer fluid.
Old 01-17-11, 09:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lexspeed
I am considering using Toyota WS fluid (or its equivilent) on the next tranny fluid 'drop & drain' on my 99 RX. Do you or others on this board recommend using this new fluid? I understand that it is supposed to be backwards compatable, but would like to hear comments. The newer fluid appears to be more MPG friendly due to it having a lower viscosity or at least appearing that way. I am also hoping there would be other benefits of the newer fluid.
I'd stick to something that is Type IV compatible. Where I might have been tempted to do this (and WS fluid didn't exist) was when the vehicle was a lot younger (like practically new). However, same as with engine oil, as these vehicles get older, they like to chew oil (engine or tranny) and they need that extra viscosity. In addition, I'd also like to eliminate the potential for leaks as my vehicle gets older.
Old 01-19-11, 08:32 AM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

I'd stick to something that is Type IV compatible. Where I might have been tempted to do this (and WS fluid didn't exist) was when the vehicle was a lot younger (like practically new). However, same as with engine oil, as these vehicles get older, they like to chew oil (engine or tranny) and they need that extra viscosity. In addition, I'd also like to eliminate the potential for leaks as my vehicle gets older.
That is probably good advice. My regular service using Type IV has returned 182k trouble free miles on my orignal RX tranny, so why mess with success. I do like the newer WS and am using the full synth versions of that when changing fluids in my 08 RAV4. WS came in my RAV, but I don't buy the "lifetime fluid" claims and change it.
Old 01-19-11, 01:33 PM
razali2k5
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using Redline D4 ATF for a almost a year now. Shifts are very smooth, though I don't know how different it is than Type IV. I had Type IV for about 10,000 miles before I replaced it with Redline and I didn't notice any difference. However, many BMW enthusiasts trust Redline so I will probably continue using it.
Old 01-22-11, 04:28 PM
Ryan300
Driver

Has anyone replaced their pan drain plug with a magnetic drain plug similar to the transfer case drain plug? It should pick up more metal residue/gunk instead of just having one magnetic.

I wonder why Lexus didn't use two magnetic drain plugs? Is it overkill if 2 magnetic drain plugs are used?
Old 01-25-11, 07:27 AM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

I wonder why Lexus didn't use two magnetic drain plugs? Is it overkill if 2 magnetic drain plugs are used?
I wouldn't think that an extra magnet would be overkill by any means. My 08 RAV4 has three magnets in the tranny pan!
Old 01-28-11, 07:24 PM
shortlid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we get aftermarket magnet drain plugs for our SUV's

Quick Reply: Aftermarket vs. OEM Transmission filter/seal kit?