RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Show off your after market wheels gallery.

Old 03-30-11, 06:52 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
svg_bum I LOVE your RX i think it looks bad ***!!! had I known you were gonna sell it I most likely would have held out buying mine and get your

I finally installed the wheels on to my rex today. Vertini Hennessey 20x10's all the way around with a +35 offset and 20mm H&R spacer in the rear. The tires are 275/40R20 Toyo Proxes S/T. The rear studs stuck out past the spacer so I had to cut them a little shorter as the wheels don't have pockets in the back of the wheel. I also just finished dropping the the car on Tein S.Tech's courtesy of DayMan22 (Thanks again man!)

FYI: the rear studs are about 6mm longer than the fronts. I trimmed of about 7mm and was still able to get 7 rotations on the lug nuts holding the spacer.
That looks even better than I had imagined. How does it ride?
Old 03-30-11, 10:22 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

The ride is comfortable, feels like stock. So far I've only bottomed out once on the right rear. But that was caused from my right rear strut currently blown (I have a set of KYB's on the way) and I was traveling high speeds and hit a pretty hard dip in the road, not like a pot hole but like the whole road dipped down all of the sudden.
Old 04-02-11, 12:07 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Australian
I finally got a set of wheels for my rx300 19 x 7.5 +40 225's offset and 19 x 8.5 245's haven't tried fitting yet i assume i will need a spacer i have too thin tires though only 35's.
Wondering if it will look silly not lowered or if i should spend money on another set of tyres as i can only see myself buckling them.

I tried a test fit today with a few problems 1st problem i noticed was the 12mm lug nuts i purchased the thread is wrong. What lug nuts do i need?

Secondly and this is the real debatable part. I have 8.5 rears which seem to not fit i will need a spacer but i also refuse to cut my lug nuts. I plan to use a spacer and still not use a fender flare wondering if i can clear the lugs and still keep the wheels under the car. It may be easier for me to stick to 7.5 rims and get rid of the 8.5s has anyone fitted say 50mm spacers if so how far out does it stick out. What is your offset.
Old 04-02-11, 10:51 AM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by new2lexus2
Nothing special, but I picked these up for my snow tires...I've not been able to determine what they are.

Any one know?
I think that is an "old school" Neeper Wheel....not sure if they are still around or not.
Old 04-05-11, 02:56 AM
Australian
Advanced

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS

I finally installed the wheels on to my rex today. Vertini Hennessey 20x10's all the way around with a +35 offset and 20mm H&R spacer in the rear. The tires are 275/40R20 Toyo Proxes S/T. The rear studs stuck out past the spacer so I had to cut them a little shorter as the wheels don't have pockets in the back of the wheel. I also just finished dropping the the car on Tein S.Tech's courtesy of DayMan22 (Thanks again man!)

FYI: the rear studs are about 6mm longer than the fronts. I trimmed of about 7mm and was still able to get 7 rotations on the lug nuts holding the spacer.
If you had used a 28mm rear spacer you wouldn't have to cut your lug nuts
according to your post. I think the lug bolts are longer and would need more like 32mm spacer to clear the bolts. Do your wheels hang out past the fenders? What is your front wheel size i assume you haven't used 275's on all 4's. This information will assist others in installing large wheels. I am currently looking for the ideal spacer measurement to assure keeping the lugs from being cut.

I am trying to avoid 3 things
#1 Cutting the lug bolts
#2 Having wheels stick out past fenders.
#3 Having to install fender flares because of #2

My wheel size is 7.5 x 19 front +40 with 225's rear 8.5 with 245's +35
Didn't test fit the front i am assuming they will bolt straight on no spacer.
Test fit on back i was hard against the rear strut perhaps i can get away with less than 20mm spacer even 10mm but the real issue is having long enough lugs for the hollow style spacers or with bolt on spacers absorbing the lugs within.
Old 04-05-11, 06:49 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

I finally got a set of wheels for my rx300 19 x 7.5 +40 225's offset and 19 x 8.5 245's haven't tried fitting yet i assume i will need a spacer i have too thin tires though only 35's.
Wondering if it will look silly not lowered or if i should spend money on another set of tyres as i can only see myself buckling them.
Dont run that tire size. 225/35 or 245/35 is ridiculously too small for the RX and WILL NOT have the proper load index meaning they will not carry the weight of the RX and will most likely explode if you try to drive on them. You should be running a 245/50R19 on the RX

I tried a test fit today with a few problems 1st problem i noticed was the 12mm lug nuts i purchased the thread is wrong. What lug nuts do i need?
Make sure the lug nuts are 12x1.5 this is standard for all Toyota and Lexus (excluding the new LS460/600h)
Make sure they are NOT 12x1.25 as they can cross thread your studs, they are cheap to replace but can be very costly to to install.

Secondly and this is the real debatable part. I have 8.5 rears which seem to not fit i will need a spacer but i also refuse to cut my lug nuts. I plan to use a spacer and still not use a fender flare wondering if i can clear the lugs and still keep the wheels under the car. It may be easier for me to stick to 7.5 rims and get rid of the 8.5s has anyone fitted say 50mm spacers if so how far out does it stick out. What is your offset.
It's not necessary to cut the lug nuts if you use a spacer. The reason I needed to cut mine is because the wheels I have dont have pockets in the back of the wheel so my original studs to pass through. If your wheels are 8.5" wide anything between +25~+35 should work. The 8.5 +25 all the way around would be ideal.

If you had used a 28mm rear spacer you wouldn't have to cut your lug nuts
according to your post. I think the lug bolts are longer and would need more like 32mm spacer to clear the bolts.
You are right and wrong. Yes, if I bought a 28mm spacer I would not have to cut the bolt, but then they would stick out 8mm more than than they currently do which I dont want. Secondly no company makes 28mm spacers. 32mm would just be ridiculously too big making the wheels stick out 12mm more than they currently do so that would be a big no no.

Do your wheels hang out past the fenders? What is your front wheel size i assume you haven't used 275's on all 4's. This information will assist others in installing large wheels. I am currently looking for the ideal spacer measurement to assure keeping the lugs from being cut.
My wheels are 20x10 all the way around with 275's on all four. The wheels are nice and flush in the front but hang our a bit in the rear due to the spacer, but was necessary to clear the shocks. Even though it hangs out a bit is does not rub.

I am trying to avoid 3 things
#1 Cutting the lug bolts
#2 Having wheels stick out past fenders.
#3 Having to install fender flares because of #2

My wheel size is 7.5 x 19 front +40 with 225's rear 8.5 with 245's +35
Didn't test fit the front i am assuming they will bolt straight on no spacer.
Test fit on back i was hard against the rear strut perhaps i can get away with less than 20mm spacer even 10mm but the real issue is having long enough lugs for the hollow style spacers or with bolt on spacers absorbing the lugs within.
You can achieve all those goals with 8.5 no problem. I'm a little crazy in the head and I like to run the most aggressive fitment on all my vehicles. But if you want to accomplish all those things here what you need to do...

Let's start off by saying you should not be staggering the wheels on your RX if it is 4WD. Personally I would never stagger a SUV because I think it just looks a little weird. Second if you RX is FWD and you still want to stagger, make sure the overall tire diameter is the same height front and rear. Here is a link to a tire size calculator you help you out. http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

The rear wheel can be tricky to fit if you don't know your offsets. If your rear wheel is 8.5" wide you will need a +35 offset or lower. If you say your current wheel is 8.5 +35 and it is touching then something is wrong. I know for a fact that should fit in the rear no problem. My guess that wheel you have is a higher offset than +35. As I mentioned in my previous post. The rear studs on the vehicle are about 7mm longer than the front. With this being said you can run up to a 10mm H&R spacer and still have enough turns for the lug nuts.

Note: 10mm spacers are note a bolt on type spacer, they looks just like this and do no need longer studs in the rear to apply as the rear studs are already longer than the front.

But if I had to do it all over again I would have to say the ultimate fitment for this vehicle would be 9" wide with a +30 with 275's all the way around. Second option would be 8.5" wide with 245's or 255's

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 04-06-11 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-11-11, 03:46 AM
Australian
Advanced

wow thank you so much for posting all of that i will try to absorb it in. I know i have wrong tires sizes but i got the tires with the wheels i can still use them on my other car. Once i get the spacers i need I will look at new tyres.
Old 04-19-11, 04:48 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i finally got tires for my rx330 rims setting in my garage. i painted them black and took this picture with my camera phone. i would wash my car but it needs a couple of days for the paint to cure.
Old 04-20-11, 12:06 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn i should've painted mine black, your RX looks properly done. My graphite RX330 rims are starting to bore me lol
Old 04-20-11, 01:22 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks tcheung87, i like your graphite wheels. it matches your cladding color.
Old 07-07-11, 02:34 PM
Shed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my first post - woot! I bought a 2002 RX300 AWD Coach Edition about two weeks ago with 91k miles on the ticker. I've named her T-Lex. So far I'm loving the car. My last car was a 09 Subaru WRX so the ride is different. I've been reading lots of info on this forum and I'm in the process of changing the antenna mast and will do a trans fluid/filter change in the coming weeks. The car is in need of new tires so I'm taking the opportunity to also buy new rims. I've looking at getting 18x8 with 235/55R18 tires. The wheels have an offset of +35. Will I be able to install without spacers? I really don't want to use them.
Old 07-11-11, 06:52 AM
ByTor
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of those 20-22" rims look hideous. I never understood why people would do someting like that to an SUV. Reminds me of this, only wider.
Old 08-15-11, 09:18 AM
Shed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T-Lex got some new boots. TSW Jarama 18" Hyper Silver with Hankook Aventus AS RH07 235/55/18. I think I might paint the brake calipers red.

Old 08-16-11, 06:25 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Shed
T-Lex got some new boots. TSW Jarama 18" Hyper Silver with Hankook Aventus AS RH07 235/55/18. I think I might paint the brake calipers red.

Very nice.
Old 08-18-11, 11:23 AM
enchanted
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires and Wheels

I finally got my New Wheels and tires on.......The tires are yokohama Avid EnVigor 235/60/18. So far I love them!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Show off your after market wheels gallery.