RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tranny oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 01:40 PM
Alexus02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny oil change

had my tranny power flushed and oil/filter changed at AAMCO. The pan didn't have any metal shavings, the magnets didn't either. The fluid was a dark cherry. The shifts are now much smoother. 2002 FWD 76k miles....
Old 07-30-10, 02:04 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't think that was a good idea, but I wish you luck. And especially AAMCO I wouldn't let them even come within' 2000 feet of my car. You should have done a simple drain and fill, and if you did really want a flush (not recommended but) you should have atleast had it done by a good independent shop or toyota/lexus.

Last edited by hypervish; 07-31-10 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-30-10, 04:51 PM
joychri
Driver School Candidate

Alexus02

If you don't mind me asking, what lead you to have the tranny flushed? The toyota dealership from which I bought my 2002 rx 300 (I have it serviced there as well) recently recommended that I have the tranny flushed when we have our next oil change (scheduled for next month). My rx has a little over 70K miles and, based upon the dipstick, the fluid is still light red/pink. Based upon what I have read on this forum I have been hesitant to do it.
Thanks.
Old 07-30-10, 06:37 PM
Alexus02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joychri
Alexus02

If you don't mind me asking, what lead you to have the tranny flushed? The toyota dealership from which I bought my 2002 rx 300 (I have it serviced there as well) recently recommended that I have the tranny flushed when we have our next oil change (scheduled for next month). My rx has a little over 70K miles and, based upon the dipstick, the fluid is still light red/pink. Based upon what I have read on this forum I have been hesitant to do it.
Thanks.
The fluid was very dark cherry and the car was 8 years old so I thought a flush was a good idea..too late to go back if it gives me problems now! Your tranny oil color is probably what it should be so maybe a flush is not required.
Old 07-30-10, 08:54 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Alexus02

Thanks.
NEVER EVER FLUSH! Drain and fill only, Lexus/Toyota do not endorse flush machines at all. BS that dealers use to make extra $.
Old 07-30-10, 10:42 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Second to carguy07 opinion...Drain and fill only ...unless you do a fluid exchange which uses the tranny pump to flush the fluid.
Old 07-31-10, 06:24 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carguy07
NEVER EVER FLUSH! Drain and fill only, Lexus/Toyota do not endorse flush machines at all. BS that dealers use to make extra $.
x3, never flush...always do a drain and fill.
Old 07-31-10, 11:11 PM
kkee
Driver School Candidate

What kind of tranny fluid should be used and how many quarts for drain and fill?
Old 08-01-10, 06:22 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Always use a fluid compliant with Toyota Type-IV or else you'll have a tranny failure. I see your in Minnesota so you should be able to acquire Toyota Type-IV if your not interested in that fluid I would recommend Castrol Multi-Vehicle Import it is a synthetic blend opposed to the toyota fluid which is a dino.I myself use the Castrol and the RX hasn't ever shifted this well.
You will need 5 quarts. The drain and fill needs a little over 4 quarts so don't fill in all 5... Measure how much you drain and refill that amount with fresh ATF.

PS...Toyota Type-IV is the same oil as Mobil 3309 except it is just packaged with the Toyota name.
Old 08-01-10, 04:55 PM
joychri
Driver School Candidate

I think my Toyota dealership might mean a fluid exchange. I called a local Lexus dealership after getting the original recommendation and was told to avoid something they referred to as a backflow flush but that a flush, which as they described it was a fluid exchange, would likely be fine. I then called my Toyota dealership and asked them to described what the recommended "flush" entailed and it sounded like the procedure Lexus said was ok. Essentially, as I understood it, the machine would have two hoses, one of which would push new fluid in to the tranny while the other was used for the old fluid that was pushed out. I will know for sure next month when I bring the car in for service.
Old 08-02-10, 07:07 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

A Fluid exchange only uses the Cars transmission pump to move the fluid. Personally I dont trust the mechanics in general. I would do a drain and fill with a filter cleaning....I have had the fluid exchange done, but by my son-in-laws brother whom I do trust...on my Ford F150.....
Old 08-02-10, 03:19 PM
Alexus02
Driver School Candidate

200+ miles and I haven't noticed any adverse effects of the flush..still early days but i'll keep posting as I drive further....
Old 09-08-10, 09:19 AM
Alexus02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Alexus02
200+ miles and I haven't noticed any adverse effects of the flush..still early days but i'll keep posting as I drive further....
UPDATE: 3000 miles and have not noticed any adverse effects from the tranny flush. Tranny changes are smooth, oil looks and smells like it should...more to follow if anything changes...
Old 09-08-10, 11:57 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Alexus02

Thanks.
Do you mean by the 70k mi comment that you bought it new and it's never been changed in the 70K? Is it a FWD or AWD? I believe '02 was about when they improved the planetary gear so you may not show the need for change that the older models of the RX do, especially if you have FWD. I would say from your description of the fluid that it doesn't need to be changed, especially if it smells good. I know they changed the recommendation from lifetime to about 30k mi, but if it stays pink I would say it's still good to go. My wife's new 2011 Camry doesn't even have a dipstick. Book says if there is ever any reason to service or change the fluid- take it to the dealer. That I'm probably not likely to do. I worked in dealerships for many many years and there were very few service tech's that I even wanted near my vehicles.