RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 passenger side window won's stay up

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 08:47 AM
mshumack
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgermani
I have had the same problems, but now I have a new one. Here's the very long explanation, and then if SOMEONE has a diagnosis and cure, please let me know.

Because of all the great advice I read here on these pages, I was able to determine that I did need a new front passenger side window motor. I could only get my window to go back up from the down position after giving the inside passenger door a swift kick. Can't keep doing that, right? Since we do not have a Lexus dealer where I live, I had to settle for taking it to the local Toyota dealer, who replaced the motor for a hefty $700.

Sure enough it worked. But, as they were handing me back my car, the service manager said, "Oh, by the way, you need a new window switch." And he showed me. The window goes up great, but the second it hits the closed (fully up) position, it starts heading back down. Naturally, I fish-eyed the guy, who said it would be another $450 for the part plus labor. I had just spent $2800 on repairs with them, and I said thanks, but I'll look elsewhere for help.

So, here are the symptoms. The window (from either the driver's master switch or the passenger control) will go up, but it immediately comes back down when it hits the closed position. I can control the window by tapping it up or down and that's fine. But, no matter what I do, if it hits that closed position, it just comes back down. So, right now I'm having to drive around with that whistling sound from the little crack at the top of the passenger window.

Ok... I bought a used replacement switch for about $100. I followed the instructions offered by Lexmex on these pages elsewhere to remove the bezel. I unplugged the original box switch and put the replacement in. THE SAME EXACT THING HAPPENS. Window goes up fine and I can tap-control it, but the instant it hits the fully-up position, the window comes back down.

I know absolutely nothing about auto electronics or wiring or relays or boards, or anything like that. But, doesn't that sound like there's some sort of bad connection from the switch to the motor if the same exact thing happens with two different switches?

Can anyone help me, please? I just want to be able to take it to a reliable local guy and say this might be the problem and this is probably the solution. I've been back to that dealer twice now for other problems they didn't take care of during the $2800-repair job.

Thanks!
I've seen that behavior in other car models. New cars have a torque sensing motor designed to automatically reverse if something is stuck in the window opening (like a child's head). The motor has the torque sensing feature not the switch. So if the dealer is telling you the switch is bad (and they just replaced the motor) be careful - they might just want to sell you some other part since they need to redo the job they just did.
I saw this problem on some 2012 Ford trucks (we bought for our Fleet) when we installed the "rain visors" that fit into the upper window channel. When the window closed it touched the rain visor and promptly reversed direction. On the Ford you could manage to get the window closed by moving it an inch at a time unitl it was just closed. We ended up pulling off the Rain Visors (however there is a torgue settign adjustment that coul dhave been done). maybe Lexus has an adjustment too. Such as with this Nissan http://www.justanswer.com/nissan/102...se-nissan.html
Old 12-17-13, 10:40 AM
gmgermani
Driver School Candidate

Yeah... it almost is like a sensor. I'll take a look at the Nissan site you suggest. Obviously the switch, as the Toyota dealer claimed, was not bad. Or, it could be wildly coincidental that both my original and the replacement I bought suffer from the same problem. I doubt it though.

I just now tried Z07's suggestion: "Try training the window where open and closed are again." But, that didn't work. But at least I got the window to stay up and closed during the "training" process. Unfortunately, after finishing the process, turning off the car and trying the window again, it still has the same problem: comes right back down upon closing.

So, I'm still stumped.
Old 12-17-13, 10:43 AM
gmgermani
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Z07. I did the training process, and it didn't work--from either passenger or driver's side controls. Did everything exactly.

Would it hurt for me to disconnect batter for a few seconds and then see if something good happens?
Old 12-17-13, 01:54 PM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmgermani
Thanks, Z07. I did the training process, and it didn't work--from either passenger or driver's side controls. Did everything exactly.

Would it hurt for me to disconnect batter for a few seconds and then see if something good happens?
The system may not be a type that learns it may be limited based upon amps. Let me dig into the FSM before I waste anymore of your time. I'm sorry it didn't work out.
Old 12-29-15, 08:14 PM
FixLexus
Driver School Candidate