RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

stupid ran out of gas episode.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-02, 09:53 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid ran out of gas episode.

ok, this is to warn all u guys, the RX only has a range of less than 30 miles after the low on gas light comes on.

I, myself, will never fill up a tank unless im going on a long trip or right after the light goes up. I dont know why, but subconciously, i like to know how far i can go until i reall ran out of gas.

Well, i found out yesterday in what seems like 100 degree heat and unbearing humidity. Im in my RX blasting maximum cold AC with the fan running 3 hash marks. Frankly, the cabin is freezing! but outside it seems like a desert after god suck the air out of it.

Im coming up on this overpass where i usually do 70mph which is double the limit. I start climbing this bridge and suddenly i feel this pull back feeling of power, i immediatley knew im running out of gas. Since i have a couple experiences previously(dont ask!!), i instantly put the gear in neutral, turn the AC off and start coasting.

Since i carried a lot of speed on to this bridge, i can coast off it for sure, but now after 30 seconds, im doing close to 25mph!! And people i flew past seconds ago are all over my rear view mirror. Now, i start to doubt if i really ran out of gas or is the car broken??!! I put the car into drive again and AC back on, because its getting warm. I feather the gas pedal and seems like its still got some left. So now after the bridge im so lucky there was a gas station 500 yards away. Then i have no forward power AGAIN, this time i know better to miss with the gas pedal or the AC. Im praying to God that i have enough momentum to the gas station.

Then traffic shows up!! I really didnt want to brake or anything, because i know from experience that if i really ran out of gas, all power will be shut off.
So i approach the gas station now with 15mph of forward thrust, i gave it gas to make it to the booth.......NOTHING happens. I continue coasting, and without even braking my car stops at the booth i intended!!

Needless to say, i will never let my car run on fumes again. And let this all be a warning to you.
Old 06-25-02, 10:05 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

You sure do abuse that RX John Glad you made it alright - right to the pump
Old 06-26-02, 08:44 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to know how far I can go, too...but, I've gone 50 miles after the light has come on.

Perhaps the slight incline of the overpass sucked up a bubble of air into your fuel line?

I've always heard it can be a biotch to restart cars with fuel injection, if they run out of gas. Any probs, J_RX??

Another fuel injection nugget I picked up: I've always heard it's good idea to keep your tank full, especially in the cooler seasons, to not allow any sort of condensation forming on the empty tank walls.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 06-26-02 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-26-02, 01:10 PM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

yikes! i guess i'm a bit more conservative than you with my vehicle...i gas up before the light comes on usually...
Old 06-26-02, 01:55 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Red face

A bit of advice,

If you want to avoid messing/clogging up your fuel injectors and your fuel pump you shouldn't let your car go under a quarter of a tank left!!! :eek: Cause if you do you run the risk of sucking up all the debris and crap that settles at the bottom of the tank over time!!!!!

Also never fill up when a gas station is getting a delivery of fuel because they stir up all the crap in there own tanks and then its transferred to your car while your pumping!!! :eek:
Old 06-26-02, 02:54 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Isn't the fuel line from the tank already in the bottom
of the Tank? That's how you can use all the gas and
run out, like JohnsRX, right?

So it's already down there "sucking up all the debris
and crap that settles at the bottom".

Forgive my ignorance. Where else could it be?

Last edited by Daddy-O; 06-26-02 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-26-02, 03:14 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Yeah but when there is gas in the tank its free flowing and as the tank goes down its replaced with air/oxygen. The air then becomes a major contribiting factor for "Suction" and promotes/stirs up the debris plus the pump is working harder because of that. I hope I clearified that for you.
Old 06-26-02, 06:43 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Riiiiiight...LOL
Old 06-26-02, 07:56 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

I think i ran out of gas 3 times in my life, and there was never any problem re-starting it when i even just put even one pint in. Since its never really cold here i dont really care how much gas i have in, only before a long trip i do.

Originally posted by Paddy Wagon
I've always heard it can be a biotch to restart cars with fuel injection, if they run out of gas. Any probs, J_RX??
Another fuel injection nugget I picked up: I've always heard it's good idea to keep your tank full, especially in the cooler seasons, to not allow any sort of condensation forming on the empty tank walls.
Old 06-26-02, 07:58 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

who cares, its not like im gonna keep this car forever.

Originally posted by SharpLS-96
...If you want to avoid messing/clogging up your fuel injectors and your fuel pump you shouldn't let your car go under a quarter of a tank left!!! :eek: Cause if you do you run the risk of sucking up all the debris and crap that settles at the bottom of the tank over time.....up all the crap in there own tanks and then its transferred to your car while your pumping!!! :eek:
Old 06-26-02, 08:11 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Cool...

Before I bought fuel injected cars (when all was carburated and I was broke), I ran out of gas all the time.

I carried a length of hose and a milk jug. Just poured most in the
tank, and saved a couple ounces to pour directly into the carb.
Vroooom!
Old 06-26-02, 08:19 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Yep, i did that to a Fiat spyder i had almost on every occasion to make my engine start. My neighbors always thought i hated that POS, and wanted to set that thing on fire. Because it will actually burn hair off me, if i was standing too close to the hood.

Originally posted by Paddy Wagon
Cool... I carried a length of hose and a milk jug. Just poured most in the
tank, and saved a couple ounces to pour directly into the carb.
Vroooom!
Old 06-26-02, 11:22 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

I tell ya the KIDS today!!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-02, 08:22 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Riiiiiight...LOL...Better buy some gas before I hit 1/4 tank.
Old 06-27-02, 09:52 AM
foucco
Rookie

Don't feel bad. My RX ran out too couple of months ago. I felt the same symptoms, did the same thing you did, and it died 150 yards from the nearest gas station. The guy behind me got out of his car & pushed me into a parking lot. I walked the remaining 1/5 football fields and bought a gallon, cursing all the way.

I decided to play it somewhat safe and made myself buy 8 bottles of fuel injector cleaner and made myself put one in every second tank after that. Whether or not it makes any difference, I don't know. What I do know is that thing is a gas guzzler because those 8 bottles (16 fillups) went in a hurry! But I still like my RX inspite of it's fuel-guzzing problems.

Does anyone know how much gas is *supposed* to be left when the light comes on? It doesn't say in the manual.

Ciao

Quick Reply: stupid ran out of gas episode.