RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

new rx300 owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 01:21 PM
jzacknae
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rx300 owner

I just purchased my rx on thursday from a dealer here, chevy, but loved it. Drove great, needs some shocks but nothing else (or so I thought). It has 128000 miles on it. It decided not to start today, read about hitting the gas, cause the dealer stated that they used regular unleaded so I am thinking it isn't enough octane in the gas, she started up but once you take your foot off the gas she shuts down. Once I got her going without holding the gas I went straight to the gas station and put some premium gas and some fuel cleaner in it. She still shut down when I tried to start her back up. Put her on the freeway to get the gas in it good and she did better. Now when I started her again she turned over and caught, but the back light and a/t light comes on til I hit the gas a little then they go off and she goes.

Also when I take my foot off the gas it shifts down like almost stopping itself. Please tell me it is not symptoms of the tranny...
I am getting the change done monday, cause the dealer said they did it but I don't believe anything a used car salesman says.
Old 03-06-10, 02:26 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jzacknae
I just purchased my rx on thursday from a dealer here, chevy, but loved it. Drove great, needs some shocks but nothing else (or so I thought). It has 128000 miles on it. It decided not to start today, read about hitting the gas, cause the dealer stated that they used regular unleaded so I am thinking it isn't enough octane in the gas, she started up but once you take your foot off the gas she shuts down. Once I got her going without holding the gas I went straight to the gas station and put some premium gas and some fuel cleaner in it. She still shut down when I tried to start her back up. Put her on the freeway to get the gas in it good and she did better. Now when I started her again she turned over and caught, but the back light and a/t light comes on til I hit the gas a little then they go off and she goes.

^^https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-write-up.html
Old 03-06-10, 02:28 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Also when I take my foot off the gas it shifts down like almost stopping itself. Please tell me it is not symptoms of the tranny...
I am getting the change done monday, cause the dealer said they did it but I don't believe anything a used car salesman says.

^^ Have your brakes check first before ruling the trans.
Possible dragging or locked up brake caliper(s).
Old 03-06-10, 04:11 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

First off, Welcome to CL! You will find a wealth of knowledge here!

I agree with NAD1370, I would first clean the IACV and also the MAF. Both very easy and quick to do. I would also run some Seafoam through the engine to clean any other deposits. Just search for it here in CL and do some research.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-06-10, 04:21 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

I think I would make the dealer you bought it from either take care of the problems or take it back. That many issues and you've only had it since Thursday? Find a more reliable one from someone who has taken care of theirs.
Old 03-06-10, 07:02 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

My RX was doing that with the brakes. I didnt think anything about it until my NEW rear brakes were smoked in 10000 miles. My rear caliper sliders were frozen because the lexus dealer didnt lube them. So i would say check the brakes first.
Old 03-06-10, 07:46 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

Check the battery. Sometimes when those vehicles sit on lots, they don't get driven too much and they lose charge. My cousin did that with an Optima Red Top I bought for his VW Golf, as he used the vehicle on and off.

Initially, for the first few minutes you get a case where the vehicle won't go over about 30 mph nor move up in gear (emissions/fluid warm up reasons). Not sure if you're seeing it somewhere else.
Old 03-10-10, 06:04 AM
jmcohen23
Driver School Candidate

by the way, you don't need premium gas. regular unleaded works just fine. I've had my rx300 for 7 years, running on regular unleaded.... it's all a myth....
Old 03-10-10, 01:07 PM
jzacknae
Driver School Candidate

thanks everybody for your help and suggestions. The car was cutting off because of a small hose behind the engine, air intake? My husband pulled off one end and it stopped cutting off. Shop said bring it back Monday and he'll fix it, just wondering what that is?
Old 03-10-10, 10:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

thanks everybody for your help and suggestions. The car was cutting off because of a small hose behind the engine, air intake? My husband pulled off one end and it stopped cutting off. Shop said bring it back Monday and he'll fix it, just wondering what that is?
Not sure exactly, but would need to know where in the engine (passenger side rear, etc., as I have my suspicions on a few hoses that could suffice).