RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cost of replacing Door Locks and Keys of 02 RX 300

Old 08-09-09, 07:51 PM
nadir576
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of replacing Door Locks and Keys of 02 RX 300

Somebody broke into our house and along with other stuff, he took our Lexus 2002 RX 300 keys. We are now unable to get inside our car but AAA guy came and disabled the starter. Question is, How much it will cost to get the new keys? and not only keys, we also have to change all the door locks as well. What is the process and how much it will cost all together if we go to a lexus dealer? and or any other cheaper alternative?
Old 08-10-09, 12:54 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nadir576
Somebody broke into our house and along with other stuff, he took our Lexus 2002 RX 300 keys. We are now unable to get inside our car but AAA guy came and disabled the starter. Question is, How much it will cost to get the new keys? and not only keys, we also have to change all the door locks as well. What is the process and how much it will cost all together if we go to a lexus dealer? and or any other cheaper alternative?
I am assuming you have both auto comprehensive insurance and homeowners insurance. For certain one or both of those should cover it, minus the deductible. It will be pretty expensive, I'm sure. If somehow, you have to pay for this, I would definitely let a qualified locksmith do it. Be a lot cheaper than Lexus.
Old 08-10-09, 04:30 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about your theft. With all the burglaries these days, I'm surprised this questions hasn't been raised more often.

Another consideration is reflashing the ECM. The keys have both a physical and electronic/magnetic component. Just doing a physical rekeying won't restore the non-physical anti-theft protection that enables/disables the ECM.
Old 08-10-09, 04:37 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Removing electronic authorization of a key

One additional thought. As I recall, there is a maximum of I think 7 keys allowed electronic/magnetic access to an RX300. If you cycle through the registration procedure with your remaining keys, you should be able to "push out of the register" the authorization for the stolen key. Maybe this is standard procedure, but I don't recall reading about it here.
Old 08-10-09, 04:57 AM
nadir576
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by code58
I am assuming you have both auto comprehensive insurance and homeowners insurance. For certain one or both of those should cover it, minus the deductible. It will be pretty expensive, I'm sure. If somehow, you have to pay for this, I would definitely let a qualified locksmith do it. Be a lot cheaper than Lexus.
Thanks code58 for a quick reply. Yes I have both comrehensive and Renter's insurance. The vehicle was parked in a parking space in our building.
I have $10000 renter insurance and since lof of other valuable stuff have also been stolen, I am just wondering how much it cost at Lexus dealer so that we can decide which insurance should cover it. I will be heading down to my local Lexus dealer today to see what they have to say on this.
Old 08-10-09, 05:01 AM
nadir576
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob2200
One additional thought. As I recall, there is a maximum of I think 7 keys allowed electronic/magnetic access to an RX300. If you cycle through the registration procedure with your remaining keys, you should be able to "push out of the register" the authorization for the stolen key. Maybe this is standard procedure, but I don't recall reading about it here.
Bob, thanks for your reply. We don't have any remaining keys with us. Both of our keys have been stolen and now I guess we only left with Valet Key (If I am correctly calling it) in the Glove compartment. The Vehicle is still locked and AAA and police didn't get us into the car or unlock the vehicle. However, AAA guy somehow managed to open the hood and disable the starter fuse.
Old 08-10-09, 06:27 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Yes, you can delete remotes from the ECM, but you need to start anything with a current master remote already programmed. I think re-flashing is the only option.

I may be wrong though, here is the procedure I used when I added a new remote to mine. You can see it discusses other modes:

For the immobiliser try this:

1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. Do not turn the key.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5. Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition.
7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete.
9. Start the vehicle using the new key to verify that programming was successful.

For the central locking/alarm try this:
MODES OF REGISTRATION (PROGRAMMING)

There are 4 registration modes:

Add Mode:
Adds a transmitter without erasing existing transmitter
codes. Four transmitter codes can be registered at one time. If number
of registered codes exceeds 4, previously registered codes are erased
in order, starting with first registered code.

Rewrite Mode:
Erases all previously registered transmitter codes and
reprogram new transmitters.

Confirmation Mode:
Informs user of number of existing transmitter codes already
programmed in system.

Prohibition Mode:
Erases all existing registered transmitter codes and cancels wireless
door lock operation. Use this function if transmitter is lost or stolen.

Registration Of Recognition Code:
1. To begin programming, remove key from ignition switch.
Ensure driver’s door is open and unlocked, and all other doors are
closed. Insert key into ignition switch, and then remove it. Go to
next step.
2. Complete the following in 40 seconds or less: press door
lock switch to LOCK position, and then within one second, press door
lock switch to UNLOCK position. Repeat procedure continuously until
door locks have been locked and unlocked 5 times. Close, and then open
driver’s door. Go to next step.
3. Complete the following in 40 seconds or less: repeat
procedure in step (2), except~ for closing and opening driver’s door.
Insert key into ignition switch. To enter desired mode, turn ignition
switch to ON position and back to LOCK position (one cycle), within
one second, the specified number of times. See REGISTRATION MODE
SELECTION table. Remove key from ignition switch. Go to next step.
REGISTRATION MODE SELECTION

Registration Mode No. Of Ignition Switch Cycles
---------------------------------------
Add - 1
Rewrite - 2
Confirmation -3
Prohibition - 5
---------------------------------------

4. If any mode other than confirmation mode is selected, go
to next step. If confirmation mode was selected, door locks will cycle
0-4 times depending on how many transmitter codes are stored in ECU.
Example: two stored codes equals 2 door lock/unlock cycles.
Registration of confirmation code is complete after door locks cycle.
5. Complete the following in 40 seconds or less: if add mode,
rewrite mode or prohibition mode is selected, to confirm proper
initiation, door locks will automatically cycle one time for add mode,
2 times for rewrite mode and 5 times for prohibition mode. Press
transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for at least 1.5
seconds, and then within 3 seconds, press any transmitter button for
at least one second. Go to next step.
6. If within 3 seconds, door locks’ cycle one time, new
transmitter code has been successfully accepted. Go to next step. If
door locks cycle 2 times, new transmitter code was not accepted. To
program an additional transmitter or to make a second attempt, return
to step (5) within 40 seconds.
7. Registration of recognition codes is complete under any of
the following conditions:

* Forty seconds has elapsed since wireless door lock ECU has responded.
* Driver’s door is closed.
* Key is inserted in the ignition key cylinder.
* Four recognition codes are registered at one time.
Old 08-10-09, 06:48 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been in you situation before with only having a valet key. I had to take it to a locksmith to have the ECM flashed to get new keys. The total for one new master key from locksmith and the flashing of the ECM was $400. An additional key was $125. This didn't include the lock out that you have now. I would expect that to probably run you a couple extra hundred $, no more than $200. I am not sure about the changing the locks on the doors and igntion. I would also ask the locksmith about that, they can reset all the locks so the old keys wouldn't open the doors manually. Sorry but I have no idea how much that costs. But a local locksmith is your best bet compared to the Lexus dealer. I watched mine do all the work, it only took about an hour or less. Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-09, 08:49 AM
nadir576
Driver School Candidate

Thanks blueridge and JohnLX300 for your valuable inputs. I really appreciate your time and efforts in putting a very detailed reply. One quick question to John, What's your car and make model? is it the same RX300 2002? becuase when I called local locksmith to ask about ECM flashed, he wasn't sure if it will work on 02 RX300. Though he has very good reputation in this field and consider one of the best.
Also I went to lexus dealer and they estimate it would cost in upward of $2000 to get new computer installed (have to order it from CA) and changing door locks and getting two new master keys.
Again we don't have any working keys and we baiscally have been locked out of the vehicle.
Old 08-10-09, 10:42 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Without the master key your options may be limited.

This is to help you ask the right questions when you visit your dealer [at the end they will help you make the right decision]

1. Level1: [prevent some one with old keys to drive you RX away] ... As long as imobilizer is matched to the new key and old key information is removed from ecu, no one can drive away. Should be the cheapest (relatively) way. Still need new keys (with groove cut to match old) and ecu re-programmed. I think you can have the old remote door lock access code removed from the ecu. Caution: The old keys will still be able to unlock the doors.

2. Level2: [totally new setup]. Here you get Level1 and you change all the key cylinders ... 2 door, 1 hatch, 1 glove-box, ignition. This change will make the old keys totally useless.

With Level1, you run the risk that if the thief matches your RX to the keys, then (s)he can enter the vehicle ... have it towed away etc. Level2 will buy you all the security but will most likley be 2x cost.

Note: The feeling is the the old code can be removed form the ECU. Please confirm with the dealer that it can be done and not just new key access added.

Salim
Old 08-10-09, 11:38 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I am not sure what your priority is right now. But if it is unlocking your RX and getting at your valet key so you can drive your car call a dealer or locksmith that can cut a key from your vin. This will unlock your car so you can get to your valet key so you can start your car. The new key won't be programmed in the ECU so it will fit the ignition and engage the starter but the engine will not start. You will have to use the valet key for starting. I see you are in NJ and I don't know anyone that can cut from vin but just start calling local dealers and locksmiths. Or contact www.toy-lex.com or Sewell Lexus in Dallas Texas. Both can cut a non-remote key from your vin for about $50. Then you would have to add overnight shipping if you are in a hurry. This solution does not address your long term security issue but gets you going fast.
Didn't you get what is called a wallet key with your RX? It looks like a black credit card with a small silver metal key that snaps out of it. Most owners put this away someplace and forget about it. If you can find this it will help a lot, even if it is locked in your car. This can be used as a master to program new keys and eliminate old keys so your ECU would not need to be removed and flashed.
Here is a link about Sewell with some info:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...9130&hl=sewell
Old 08-10-09, 04:20 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nadir576
Thanks blueridge and JohnLX300 for your valuable inputs. I really appreciate your time and efforts in putting a very detailed reply. One quick question to John, What's your car and make model? is it the same RX300 2002? becuase when I called local locksmith to ask about ECM flashed, he wasn't sure if it will work on 02 RX300. Though he has very good reputation in this field and consider one of the best.
Also I went to lexus dealer and they estimate it would cost in upward of $2000 to get new computer installed (have to order it from CA) and changing door locks and getting two new master keys.
Again we don't have any working keys and we baiscally have been locked out of the vehicle.
I have a 1999 RX300. I was told about the ECM and that it needed to be replaced. Well that is what the dealer said. But, the locksmith I called, came out and took apart the car, took out the ECM opened it up hook a tiny gator grip to a chip, placed it back in the car and BAM!!!! He registered he new keys and I was on my merry way. I asked what this machine was. I wa told that not many locksmiths have it....aftermarket....that Lexus will deny up and down and tell you it can't be done. I did have this done while I was living in New York. And with all my research I was told in RX300 2001 and above the dealer could flash it? I would try a couple other locksmiths to see if they have this tool. Find someone who cold replace/expert in the immobilizer car key systems. Hop this helps.
Old 08-10-09, 06:02 PM
nadir576
Driver School Candidate

Again many, many thanks guys esp. Mikey, John, Salimshah, blueridge and code58 and others for your valuable inputs. I am leaning more towards the options that John has mentioned and see if I can find a good locksmith to take care of it.
Also if anyone can answer this for me, I would really appreciate it.
Even though I don't have any masterkey left with me but I am pretty sure, once I get into the car again, I have atleast valet key still in the glove compartment. If I order the following item from sewell lexus
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...l.asp?id=54499
they can cut the key from my VIN , am I able to drive the car and are these keys meant to replace the acutal remote key that we lost in this situation?
Old 08-10-09, 06:16 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

That key (cut to your vin) will unlock doors manually (no remote). It will turn in the ignition and engage the starter but the car will not start. You would have to use your existing valet key to start. If you wanted to use that replacement key from Sewell to start the car and remotely lock/unlock that key would have to be registered in your ECU. To register a new key you need an existing master (not Valet) to program ECU. Or you need a locksmith/dealer with the ability to reflash ECU.
Are you sure you don't have wallet key? It would save you $$ and trouble.It looks like this and was standard with new RX:
Attached Images  

Last edited by mikey00; 08-10-09 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-10-09, 07:28 PM
nadir576
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikey00
That key (cut to your vin) will unlock doors manually (no remote). It will turn in the ignition and engage the starter but the car will not start. You would have to use your existing valet key to start. If you wanted to use that replacement key from Sewell to start the car and remotely lock/unlock that key would have to be registered in your ECU. To register a new key you need an existing master (not Valet) to program ECU. Or you need a locksmith/dealer with the ability to reflash ECU.
Are you sure you don't have wallet key? It would save you $$ and trouble.It looks like this and was standard with new RX:
Mikey, I am not sure whether I have Wallet or Valet Key in my glove compartment. I am pretty sure I saw something similar when we bought this used lexus from private party way back in 2007.
I will be looking to see if I can find someone who can open the doors tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cost of replacing Door Locks and Keys of 02 RX 300