ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003-182/)
-   -   P1130 on Battery Change (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/408258-p1130-on-battery-change.html)

blueridge 02-08-09 07:44 PM

P1130 on Battery Change

Here is a new one: My Battery was starting to go so I replaced it today with a new one. Within 5 miles of driving the usual CEL/VSC came on :rolleyes:. I pulled P1130 and P1130 "pending" and cleared them.

What gives with this? I'm gathering this is not a hard fail of the sensor?

lexus114 02-08-09 07:55 PM

Here is what i found for you;

ok, here's the deal, first before your battery died,
was the check engine light on??if so and after installing a battery the light is not on but there are codes in the computer, they are hard codes!!
the toyota-lexus systems will keep hard codes after loosing power IE(dead battery) also this is a 2 trip (50 miles)each or a total of 100 miles and mutiple trips before the engine light comes back on if it resets because of a code.also before it can be emissions tested IE(not ready) on so many items!!!

so being a Toyota-Lexus Technician, here is what you need to do.
1.P01130-P01135 air fuel sensor(common problem!) take it and have the air fuel snsor replaced***be forwarned if this is a V-6 you have a 50-50 chance that it will be seized in the manifold and you will have to replace the manifold also)
A. airfuel sensor test&reset and replace sensor should be about 1 hour in labor and $60-80 for the part
B. airfuel sensor test&reset and replace exhaust manifold and sensor should be about 4-5 hours in
labor +parts sensor $60-80 manifold ???

2. make sure the shop that does the work clears
all the codes(including hard codes!) then you will need to drive your vehicle 2 or mores trips adding up to 100 miles
3. then take and have you emissions test done

another thing to be aware of on this car make sure when tightening gas cap that it is tight!!!!! this will
cause a Evaporative emissions presure test failure and cause a check enine light and code of P0442 or P0446
if you have any questions feel free to write me back my e-mail is listed
Robert aka rtjohnson1964

lexus114 02-08-09 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by blueridge (Post 4236422)
Here is a new one: My Battery was starting to go so I replaced it today with a new one. Within 5 miles of driving the usual CEL/VSC came on :rolleyes:. I pulled P1130 and P1130 "pending" and cleared them.

What gives with this? I'm gathering this is not a hard fail of the sensor?

in your case it just may be a coincedence,try driving after clearing codes and see if they return,If code returns,then the sensor is in need of replacement.

blueridge 02-08-09 08:08 PM

Interesting. No CEL's prior and the battery really didn't die. The battery was showing it's age in the last few days, so I opted to change it on my terms.

Had P0330 under a month ago that probably was some bad gas and that has not returned nor was there anything pending with it. I check last week and there was nothing pending either. Guess I'll keep an eye on it to see if it returns.

salimshah 02-08-09 08:51 PM

A good battery may produce a slightly different voltage from the sensor. The surprising part is that typically you get a pending code and over time (not on first occurrence) it becomes active.

Since it has happened in the past, something may have been on the fritz .. either the sensor or real problem.

Salim

artbuc 02-09-09 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by lexus114 (Post 4236453)
Here is what i found for you;

so being a Toyota-Lexus Technician, here is what you need to do.
1.P01130-P01135 air fuel sensor(common problem!) take it and have the air fuel snsor replaced***be forwarned if this is a V-6 you have a 50-50 chance that it will be seized in the manifold and you will have to replace the manifold also)

50/50? Really? I replaced two at around 80k, one on our RX and one on our Avalon. Both of them popped right out without any problem.

lexus114 02-09-09 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by artbuc (Post 4237313)
50/50? Really? I replaced two at around 80k, one on our RX and one on our Avalon. Both of them popped right out without any problem.

ah,you were one of the lucky ones. ;) you had a positive 50%

blueridge 02-14-09 06:14 PM

Update: Code has not come back and is not pending. This RX also just passed NC state inspection which requires emissions.

Strange, maybe it was a gremlin after the battery change.