RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 10:52 PM
t-tak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter

I was told by a Lexus Dealership that there is no fuel filter in a RX300. Is that possible? If there is a filter, can someone tell me where is it located.
Old 12-05-08, 01:31 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by t-tak
I was told by a Lexus Dealership that there is no fuel filter in a RX300. Is that possible? If there is a filter, can someone tell me where is it located.
There is a filter but it is in the tank and you shouldn't ever have to replace it under normal conditions. It may even be part of the fuel pump (not replaceable separately) Almost all cars and trucks that I know of have the same thing. If you EVER should have to deal with it (don't think you will under normal circumstances), you don't have to drop the tank I don't think. There should be a cover on the floor under the rear seat to access the top of the tank.
Old 12-05-08, 01:41 AM
t-tak
Driver School Candidate

Default fuel filter

Thanks for your reply, makes sense.
Old 12-05-08, 06:10 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I believe this is all due to try and make the vehicle as maint. free as possible, i.e lubed for life grease fittings,etc. Do I agree with this,no not at all. I like being able to change out my fuel filter,lube my ball joints,tie rod ends etc.w/synthetic grease. Unfortunately,their is nothing we can do about it, even the replacement ball joints are not greasable. Oh well
Old 12-05-08, 06:51 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

In tank fuel filter is really an improvement. The inline filters are really a sieve and over time they get clogged. The in tank filters are also like sieve, but the fuel in the tank sloshes and keeps them clean. The sediments formed, float around to settle at the bottom of the tank. The intank filter is before the lift pump, so it helps prolong the life of the valves of the pump.

If you want, you can drain and flush the tank and get rid of sediments.

Salim
Old 12-05-08, 12:11 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

It's kind of a pain to access and remove because you have to remove the left rear seat to access the entry door/hole to it. I have know of 1 or 2 people who have done this on the forum and they were in other countries such as in Africa or Latin America. Despite my time in Mexico, I was going to do this upon returning to the U.S., but since using several fuel injector/fuel system cleaners, not to mention U.S. gas, I haven't had an issue even when I run really low in the tank.

I should add that I did have my fuel filter changed out many years ago at Lexus in San Antonio before returning to Mexico and it was pretty disgusting. However, I think after that incident is when I started to use fuel injector cleaners quite regularly in Mexico.
Old 01-13-11, 12:25 AM
ktan73
Driver School Candidate

Default 2000 rx300 fuel pump & filter change 2 hours job

Hi Guys , I hope this help some people . I have a 2000 RX3000 (right hand drive in Asia) . Car was hesitating for a while & finally stop working . by the car starving condition I guessed it was the pump . It is a very easy job that i could not believe lexus designed the systems . Got my totally changed under 2 hours . Below are the steps . ( forgive my English)

Changing fuel filter or fuel pumps .
Tool required : 1 plier, socket or wrench set 12 to 14mm , + screwdriver . some silicon sealant . 2 nylon tie wrap . flash lite .

Pump & filter location : Behind passenger side ( my car )
You can also take a look under the car , you see the tank in front of the rear wheel with a big bolt at the bottom most . ( for draining dirty fuel how convenient ) .

Remove rear seat ( 2 front bolts by sliding seat all the way back ) 2 rear bolt by sliding seat all way forward .

Remove all the plastic grommets holding the carpet to the floor & mark them or take a photo . ( you may forget later )

lift up the carpet u will see a round steel plate around 7" diameter rubber glued to floor , pry it open and remove . mark the position ( like 7 oclock or with a marker to the floor metal .

next u will see another plate with 8 screws holding it . 1 fuel tube ( pull to disconnect it ) . that tube supply fuel to your engine .

unscrew all 8 screws ., disconnect the electric feed plug , then carefully pull out the whole canister thing , straight up or wiggle it around so you can remove canisters & the dangling fuel gauge floats .

disconnect the fuel input tube secured only by a clamp, i use a plier only very simple . pull that rubber tube out . that's the intake fuel pipe from your tank to pump . careful not to break the nylon where this pipe is connected to . ( this part you must do slowly)

Now u can see the fuel in your tank . If the tank bottom looks dirty you may opt to drain all fuel out at this point from the big bolt at the bottom . fill in again some fuel & repeat till you are happy that all dirt are out .

now bring the canister to your work desk . take some fotos and start taking the canister apart to reveal the inside components . canisters is held together using push in out plastic clips on side around it . press it .

pull with slight pressure , all the tubings/hoses & components out . they are only held together using tight orings & tight fit plastic molds . the sack screen filter using a one way 3 teeth circlip to hold in place u need to pry it with flat screw driver to remove the sack first .

pay particular attention to where & which orings goes to . take fotos .

at this point i bring my pump & the filter unit to autoshop have them match it . Mine was a denso , but there are lots of OEMs that matches / surpasses the quality .

I found out that a camry and fortuner pumps are exact match & a lot cheaper . so i bought a kit which include a pump, filter , bunch of orings . rubber seals , a sack screen , new 1/2 round filter . in USA cost about $120 complete.

with all the fotos i have taken , i started to assemble parts back to canister as before . referring to my laptops showing fotos i took sure made things easy . My pump is just a "push into the filter housing" without need of any tools at all .
I secure my pumps using nylon tie wraps and other places which i see are wobbly with tie wraps ( prevent it from wobble and drop off i guess - this is an option)

Now with all fotos u should have no problem putting all back .

I started my car under 5 cranks . and are happy that i tried this job myself .

Kind Rgds
Ken
Jakarta
Old 01-13-11, 08:45 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Please post in DIY or put a link in there.

You mentioned photos ... how about attaching them. Our mod Lexmex is great in helping us out post photos ... so ask if you get stuck.

Thanks

Salim
Old 01-14-11, 03:25 PM
MikeS99rx3
Driver School Candidate

i also changed the fuel filter on my rx. pretty easy job once i found the access panel.
Old 01-14-11, 05:51 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I think your English is VERY good -- thank you for being so helpful to all of us in case we face that project!