RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

A/F O2 P1130 P1150 Check engine vsc etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 08:22 AM
tucker8235
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/F O2 P1130 P1150 Check engine vsc etc

My wife called me the other night and said the check engine light came on in our 2001 RX300 as well as the vsc and other lights. I took it to advance autoparts and got the code p1130. I searched on here and found some threads about it. I called Lexus and they said the part # 89467-48011 was $260. I then call Toyota and they say it is $206. I went by and picked it up and asked if he could do better on the price. He sold it to me for $196 + tax. I went by advance and got an 02 socket and some pbblaster as recommended by the toyota parts man. P1130 is Bank 1 Sensor 1 which is the one underneath the car near the firewall. I put some pbblaster on it and then put the kids to bed When I came back out I was able to get the sensor out without too much effort. I put the new one in and reset the check engine light by pulling the efi fuse under the hood.

A couple days later the check engine light came back on and the code was p1150. I went to Toyota again and said I found the part online for $150 plus $9.xx shipping. They sold me a second a/f sensor for $169 including tax.
I came home and sprayed pbblaster on the other bank 2 sensor 1 right behind the radiator with my boys help Then, after putting them to bed I tried to get the sensor out. My o2 socket didn't fit because the radiator host was in the way. I tried with a crecent wrench but no luck. I bought another o2 socket that was shaped differently. I still couldn't get it out so I hauled it to Toyota the next morning. It broke off for them but they said they could probably tap it out. They took the manifold off and tapped it out, put it back on, installed the new sensor and put on windshield wipers for $320
So, so far, so good, but we shall see. Only $700 for some bad sensors The car has 148K on it and really hasn't been too bad so I can only complain a little.

I would like to add that the Lexus battery in it isn't over two years old and has acid all over it. I have never seen such junk. Also, I asked the lexus dealership for the part number of the sensor and he said they don't give it out. Charging $100 plus profit for a sensor is just highway robbery.

Old 11-23-08, 11:03 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[/quote] I still couldn't get it out so I hauled it to Toyota the next morning. It broke off for them but they said they could probably tap it out. They took the manifold off and tapped it out, put it back on, installed the new sensor and put
I would like to add that the Lexus battery in it isn't over two years old and has acid all over it. I have never seen such junk. Also, I asked the lexus dealership for the part number of the sensor and he said they don't give it out. Charging $100 plus profit for a sensor is just highway robbery. [/quote]

Heat is your friend. You probably don't have an acetylene torch but it is the way to remove just about anything that is seized that will not be burned up by the heat. In the trade they are called a "hot wrench" for more reasons than one. I have never in all the years I spent in the automotive trade seen the most rusted or seized bolt, nut, or fitting that would not yield to heat. You have to know how to do it but it isn't hard.
Also, if the battery is spewing acid, the alternator is more than likely overcharging. There are other things that can do that but at least that is the first place I would check. Whenever a battery has liquid on the outside of it (would generally be acid), the battery is leaking voltage. Take a digital volt meter and place the ground probe on ground and the positive out on the moist area and see what the voltage reads. I have seen them read as much as 4 or 5 volts close to the post when there is heavy acid present. That voltage leak shortens the life of the battery. That is the reason you want to keep the outside of the battery washed off even if it is only slightly moist. It shouldn't really have any moisture on the outside if all is in order. If you have it present, find out why and correct it.

Last edited by code58; 11-23-08 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-24-08, 04:43 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Take a digital volt meter and place the ground probe on ground and the positive out on the moist area and see what the voltage reads. I have seen them read as much as 4 or 5 volts close to the post when there is heavy acid present. That voltage leak shortens the life of the battery.
Just to be a purist (or a geekish Electrical Engineer), it is the overcharging that is killing the battery. A digital voltmeter probably has an internal impedance of millions of ohms/volt. Thus, if it reads 4 or 5 volts in the acid, the resistance from battery positive to ground would be several times larger (in the millions of ohms) and thus negligible.
Old 11-24-08, 06:48 AM
tucker8235
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I indeed do not have a torch but it sounds very useful I was worried about ruining the cats and keeping my pregnant wife and two boys mobile. I will check out the battery. This is our second one from Lexus in 3 years, the first went out in about a year. We are still saving for a Odyssey but pretty close to selling this car.

If it is the alternator, how do you stop it from over charging?

Also, link to helpful post on A/F sensors- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=339472