RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Unknown oil Leak from bottom of Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-08, 06:38 PM
roox_jr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unknown oil Leak from bottom of Engine

Hi,

I just started to observe some oil drops whenever i park my car after a drive of at least 15mins. I have problems finding out where the oil is leaking from and need your expertise.

I'm worried that i may to incur huge amounts of money to solve this problem after reading that some RX300 has gaskets issues after 50K miles. Worst of all is that there is no more warranty on the car.

Attached is a photo indicating the points that i noted drops of oil.

Pls advise.
Attached Thumbnails Unknown oil Leak from bottom of Engine-img_2786-edited.jpg  
Old 11-15-08, 07:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

There's two possibilities, the transmission or the engine. You'll have to confirm if it's engine oil (darker color, smells more burnt) or transmission oil (red color, somewhat sweet smell) by checking the drops that are coming out.

In the case of the transmission, that could be a transmission pump seal, like I had to deal with back here, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=320390

or the usual culprit, the rear main seal, which we talked about a bit here, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=389741
Old 11-15-08, 07:36 PM
roox_jr
Driver School Candidate

I suspect my prob will be the Rear main seal and the liquid that seeps out is darker in colour some what like over used cooking oil(no smell noted) but when it hits the heated pipings, it smells of burnt oil. It's now on a very slow drip and i realised it started to drip more after i did an oil change. I read in the thread that different grades of oil may prevent seepage?

But it does seem in both pictures that the oil would appear at roughly the same areas?

NExt question is do you know roughly how much it will cost me to get it replaced at the shops? As i don't have the tool and know how to ensure i don't make matters worst by DIY.
Old 11-15-08, 11:11 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roox_jr
I suspect my prob will be the Rear main seal and the liquid that seeps out is darker in colour some what like over used cooking oil(no smell noted) but when it hits the heated pipings, it smells of burnt oil. It's now on a very slow drip and i realised it started to drip more after i did an oil change. I read in the thread that different grades of oil may prevent seepage?

But it does seem in both pictures that the oil would appear at roughly the same areas?

NExt question is do you know roughly how much it will cost me to get it replaced at the shops? As i don't have the tool and know how to ensure i don't make matters worst by DIY.
Probably the rear main seal as that is a common problem in the earlier RX's. I might say, whether you do it yourself or have it done, I would be sure and do the trans. torque convertor seal also. It's cheap and doesn't take much more work to replace it while the trans. is pulled to do the rear main seal. Depending on whether you have a Lexus dealer do the work, a Toyota dealer do it or have an independent do it, the rear main seal will run you anywhere from $750. to $1500. If you have an independent do it I would look for an independent that is highly familiar with Lexus or at least Toyota. The rear main seal doesn't take a special tool to replace, it's just a Bear to suspend the engine and remove the trans. to get to it.
Old 11-16-08, 08:22 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

First start by cleaning ... make sure that you are not aggressive and make things worse.

The problem is that oil travels and as you drive the leak may be a foot or more away from where it drips.

With the grime gone, you can trace the leak.

Fix:
Some times it is better to live with a small issue instead of striving for a "full fix". The fix on an old engine can stress out a good part and potentially snowball.

Salim
Old 11-16-08, 06:32 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the rear main......My 2001 had the rear main seal leak after being stored in Arizona through the long /hot summer....

I am not sure if the heat/storage had anything to do with it.....

I had Power Toyota in Phoenix do it for about $800...

Good Luck
Old 11-17-08, 12:29 AM
rfakinbile
Rookie

Steam wash the engine and do a good inspection with light if possible on a pit or lift after some driving. It wouldn't be difficult to then trace the leakage. Good luck.
Old 11-18-08, 11:27 AM
roox_jr
Driver School Candidate

Hey there Jcjr,

I got pepboys to do an initial look to see where the leak is from and they guess it from the Rear main seal but ain't sure. Secondly, i'm hit with a potential leaky transmission as well! Sucks to be me...

Just got a quotation from LExus, the rear main seal will cost me 1.7K. But the good thing is that they will warranty it for a yr. So at least there's a peace of mind.

Where is power toyota's shop? Do they warranty the part after repairs?
Old 11-18-08, 12:00 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Try this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133449
Old 11-19-08, 12:33 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roox_jr
Hey there Jcjr,

I got pepboys to do an initial look to see where the leak is from and they guess it from the Rear main seal but ain't sure. Secondly, i'm hit with a potential leaky transmission as well! Sucks to be me...

Just got a quotation from LExus, the rear main seal will cost me 1.7K. But the good thing is that they will warranty it for a yr. So at least there's a peace of mind.

Where is power toyota's shop? Do they warranty the part after repairs?
Roox_jr- In my mind that is highway robbery. When I did my DIL's 99RX I got an unsolicited quote from an independent shop (a friend got it for me) for $750. to do the rear main. I did it myself and had no intension of having someone else do it. To say that they give a 1 yr. warrantee and that should justify that kind of cost is almost an insult to your intelligence. Anyone who runs a professional shop should be able to do that repair without you ever even questioning whether you need a warrantee on the work. It's kind of a pain to get the trans. out to get to the seal but the actual replacement is easy. I'll bet the dealer would love to nothing but rear main seals for that kind of money. That's what you call "I'm gonna retire early" work. I'd be happy to do it for $1000. and give you a 5 yr. warrantee. You should see if there isn't a good independent Toyota/Lexus shop in your area. Good Luck.

P.S. If the trans. leak is the convertor seal that is easy to change when they have the trans. out for access to the rear main seal. The seal is cheap and the labor shouldn't be more than $20.-$30. I always suggest replacing the TC seal when you replace the rear main seal even if the TC seal isn't leaking. It's just so cheap to do it then.

Last edited by code58; 11-19-08 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-19-08, 08:35 AM
salimshah

Code58, How many hours of actual work did it take you?

Can you write a DIY?

Keep in mind, the labor charges are $100+/hr.

Salim
Old 11-19-08, 03:18 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Roox Jr....

I had mine done in the Toyota dealership in Tempe.....Ray Road auto complex....

I had it done in 2006.....and they were part of the "Power" dealers around the valley...

I know the economy has hurt the Power dealers .....

I would get a quote from the closest Toyota dealership to you....

They usually warrant the work for 1 year....the Toyota hourly rate is lower then Lexus.....The job is ALL labor...

I will use Toyota for my timing belt when the time comes...
Good Luck!!
Old 11-20-08, 12:24 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
Code58, How many hours of actual work did it take you?

Can you write a DIY?

Keep in mind, the labor charges are $100+/hr.

Salim
Salim- I'll try and get back to answer this question over the weekend- it's been a rough week, or maybe I should say a rough last 3 years. I'll explain later- and then my brother was diagnosed over the weekend with a very aggressive malignant brain tumor- inoperable, rather grim. Sorry.

Regards, Roger
Old 11-20-08, 08:53 AM
salimshah

^^ Prayers be with you and family. This stuff can wait!

Salim
Old 11-24-08, 11:03 PM
SilerACS
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear main leak on 2000 RX300 AWD

Any tip on how to R&R the rear engine main seal? I've done lots of work, restore, rebuilt engines on BMW but not familair with the AWD removal. I am familiar with FWD trans removal. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Unknown oil Leak from bottom of Engine