ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003-182/)
-   -   99 RX Side Air Bag did not deploy (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/389679-99-rx-side-air-bag-did-not-deploy.html)

RNDRX 11-04-08 05:54 PM

99 RX Side Air Bag did not deploy

1 Attachment(s)
Our RX was involved in a side impact collision (LR Door) and the side air bag did not deploy, although the seatbelt did lock up tight. As a result I was thrown against the door and window.

Is this typical??

iKenn 11-04-08 06:04 PM

The impact wasnt severe enough for the airbags to deploy. Looking at the picture Your most damage was on the lower bottom so the sensor didnt deploy them. The airbag helps glass and other material from slashing your face. Plus head impact but i guess it thought you wouldnt have much head injury from that collision. Plus if you get it repaired the cost would be lower since the airbags wouldnt need to be replaced.

code58 11-05-08 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by RNDRX (Post 3979050)
Our RX was involved in a side impact collision (LR Door) and the side air bag did not deploy, although the seatbelt did lock up tight. As a result I was thrown against the door and window.

Is this typical??

RNDRX- Does your 99RX have side air bags? I didn't think they had side air bags that far back. My DIL has a '99RX and it doesn't have side air bags. I don't see the tag in the picture, maybe the seat belt is hiding it if it has side air bags. Let us know if it does, I'm really curious. Was it an option in '99 or was it on the top of the line models?

salimshah 11-05-08 08:27 AM

99 came with side air bag, but not the head-rail curtains.

Salim

code58 11-05-08 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by salimshah (Post 3980550)
99 came with side air bag, but not the head-rail curtains.

Salim

Salim- I've done plenty of work on my DIL's 99RX and I'm certain it doesn't have side air bags. I've detailed the complete interior and cleaned the leather seats- no sign of side air bags. Were they an option in 99 or were they just on the top model? I've worked in automotive all my life and I know what I'm looking at (or not in this case-LOL). Help me out here.

Her RX was an early build-about the middle of '98. Are ALL RX's supposed to have side air bags?

rfakinbile 11-06-08 12:27 AM

The side air bags are equipped only on the front seats and not the rear. its even visible on the picture posted above. This level of impact cannot trigger the air bag sensor to deploy.

HarrierAWD 11-06-08 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by RNDRX (Post 3979050)

Is this typical??

Since the impact was fairly light and it's at the rear door, the sensors may have chosen not to deploy. Hope you are OK.

To code58, the side airbag is mounted in the seatback. The sticker on the seat shows that the SRS is there. Some cars put it in the B pillar or the roof so maybe that's how you missed it.

code58 11-06-08 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD (Post 3984058)
Since the impact was fairly light and it's at the rear door, the sensors may have chosen not to deploy. Hope you are OK.

To code58, the side airbag is mounted in the seatback. The sticker on the seat shows that the SRS is there. Some cars put it in the B pillar or the roof so maybe that's how you missed it.

Harrier- Thanks for the reply- there is definitely no sticker on the seat trim on my DIL's 99RX such as you show in the picture. I have worked in automotive all my life and many of those years in body and I am used to seeing the little tag sewn into the seam where the air bag comes out (deploys). As I said before, I have detailed the car completely and spent a good deal of effort to get the leather pristine again and I am certain there were not tags anywhere inside of the car concerning side airbags. My wife thinks I'm too detail oriented. LOL I wonder, since it was an early build (middle of '98) if there is a chance they didn't use them yet then. This really has my curiosity up.

HarrierAWD 11-06-08 07:17 PM

That's very interesting. Hope you don't ever get hit on the side. :D Thanks.

ejdossary 10-06-18 04:50 PM

Look under the front seats. If you can identify a YELLOW connector and Yellow Cable jacket with two wires ate the connector, then the RX has a SIDE AIRBAG. Simple enough to locate under the seat. It would much easier to see if the either FRONT seat are removed. I have done that few times. Good luck !!

ejdossary 10-06-18 04:56 PM

On my 2002 RX300, I have a Code "B0113" which is describe on my SRS Scanner as "Short at the Side Squib (RH)". Researching the Code revealed that the Side Squib is actually part of the Side Airbag (RH) location. Question. How complex is it to remove the side Airbag? Please advise, anyone, that has done this before on Club Lexus or You Tube. Thanks a Million !!

ejdossary 11-14-18 06:14 PM

After removing the Passenger Front Seat to check the Side Airbag's yellow cable, i wiggled the connector and padded the side of the back of the Passenger Front seat hoping that will solve my problem. I also cleaned the yellow connector under the seat with Contact Cleaner and finished it with WD-40 sprays. Bolted the seat back in place. It's been almost a month now (11-14-18) with NO flashing Airbag Light. Just to share with my Club Members my encounter with Code "B0113". If the problems comes back, I know exactly with the issue is..
Regards,
Essa J. Dossary, EE

ejdossary 11-14-18 06:22 PM

No, it is not typical. If the impact is strong enough, the sensor located near the side of the seat around the seat belt pretensioner will send a contact closure to the airbag deploy! It appears that the sensor did not engage to deploy the Airbag. Check the sensor or replace it. Could be a bad connection at the sensor or Airbag. Good luck !
Regards, Essa J. Dossary, EE

ejdossary 11-14-18 06:30 PM

Look at the side of the seat for a label indicating "AIRBAG" which applies to the side bag on your car. If you do not see a label, then this '99 car model is not equipped with side Airbags.
Regards, Essa J. Doosary, EE

ejdossary 11-14-18 06:32 PM

The label on the side of the SEAT indicates that a Side Airbag is installed! Good Luck, Essa J, Dossary, EE