RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
Old 01-09-15, 03:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

How often should I change the serpentine belt?

Old 11-01-08, 07:16 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can save a good deal of labor cost by DIY'ing these belt changes if you have the proper tools. Trying to save money on parts often proves to be expensive when you have to replace an unsatisfactory part with an OEM product. That and doubling your labor "cost" make those expensive T/L parts look downright economical.
Old 11-01-08, 12:24 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

^^^^ my thoughts exactly ^^^^^
Salim
Old 11-02-08, 12:04 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
You can save a good deal of labor cost by DIY'ing these belt changes if you have the proper tools. Trying to save money on parts often proves to be expensive when you have to replace an unsatisfactory part with an OEM product. That and doubling your labor "cost" make those expensive T/L parts look downright economical.
Lil4X-I would never have bought the belts there but I knew it said Gates/Toyota on the belts and I knew they were the original belts. I believe the replacement belts I bought at PB's were made in Canada. I don't really care much for aftermarket parts but I was in a hurry and have already explained the rest of the story. I try and learn from my mistakes and never make the same one twice. That's why I share these stories, so someone else can learn from my mistake and not have to make it themselves. The labor cost is only my time but I'd still rather be doing something else with it. I spent my life in automotive and don't need the experience so much anymore.LOL
Old 01-11-10, 08:56 AM
shkid2009
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99' RX 300. Had serpentine belt replaced yesterday and now my AC is not working. The AC pulley is working, but it's not engaging when I press down the AC button. Could the two be related? Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-10, 10:32 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by shkid2009
I have a 99' RX 300. Had serpentine belt replaced yesterday and now my AC is not working. The AC pulley is working, but it's not engaging when I press down the AC button. Could the two be related? Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, RX uses 2 belts instead of the 1 serpentine (which snakes around and drives all).

One of the belts gets driven by main pulley and provides energy to alternator and A/C Compressor. This belt is pretty much at the side and can be observed. Pop the hood and look on the passenger side (front of the engine and not the vehicle). Ask some one to engage the A/C and observe. Due to extreme cold and if there is a problem with the A/C (leak) the compressor may fail to engage.

A mishap during the change or a coincidence may have caused your problem. It can be as simple as a connector got dislodged.

Salim
Old 01-11-10, 11:09 AM
shkid2009
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
As mentioned earlier in this thread, RX uses 2 belts instead of the 1 serpentine (which snakes around and drives all).

One of the belts gets driven by main pulley and provides energy to alternator and A/C Compressor. This belt is pretty much at the side and can be observed. Pop the hood and look on the passenger side (front of the engine and not the vehicle). Ask some one to engage the A/C and observe. Due to extreme cold and if there is a problem with the A/C (leak) the compressor may fail to engage.

A mishap during the change or a coincidence may have caused your problem. It can be as simple as a connector got dislodged.

Salim
Salim:

Thanks for the advice. I will look again. It's been pretty cold here in MN. It was down to -15F at times. The car drives fine and I will worry about in the spring.

Thanks.

Jon
Old 01-11-10, 11:12 AM
shkid2009
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah

Salim
Salim - One more question. Where can I locate my AC connector that you mentioned in the reply above? Thanks.
Old 01-11-10, 01:21 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shkid2009
Salim - One more question. Where can I locate my AC connector that you mentioned in the reply above? Thanks.
Kid- Since Salim hasn't answered yet, I'll answer the question. As you know, the compressor is below the alternator. It may not be real easy to see because of the alternator but the connection is usually right at the compressor. They don't usually have any amount of pigtail, and the plug (probably female) is probably clipped to the compressor. Since you're in Mn. and it is, as you said , a little chilly in Mn. this time of year, maybe the A.C. isn't turning on because it isn't needed this time of year, but is actually O.K. Possible? Hope that helps.
Old 01-11-10, 03:18 PM
shkid2009
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by code58
Kid- Since Salim hasn't answered yet, I'll answer the question. As you know, the compressor is below the alternator. It may not be real easy to see because of the alternator but the connection is usually right at the compressor. They don't usually have any amount of pigtail, and the plug (probably female) is probably clipped to the compressor. Since you're in Mn. and it is, as you said , a little chilly in Mn. this time of year, maybe the A.C. isn't turning on because it isn't needed this time of year, but is actually O.K. Possible? Hope that helps.
code58: Thanks for the reply. You might be right. I will wait until spring then to see if my AC issue still exist. For now, I won't worry about it since the car drives good and I've got heat!
Old 05-30-14, 09:41 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

this is the only thread i was able to find on the exterior drive belts
that had anything to do with when to change them

i am wondering do i have 2 belts on my 07 es350 ?
does anyone know

also from my reading this mileage doesn't make the determination about changing the Exterior drive belts correct ?
my car is 7 years old and 82k not making any noise but i just want to make sure that i wont have issues so wondering about preventive maintenance and should i replace the drive belts just because its 7 years old and 82 k or should i wait until they start to make noise or snap ?

i am also pretty sure that since i don't have a timing chain and i have a timing belt that
i don't really have to worry about getting it done like some of the lexus vehicles have to have it every 90k since mines a belt not a chain i am good for a long time from what i have read

if one of the exterior drive belts go
when im driving what is it that could get damaged ?
thank you
Old 05-31-14, 10:56 AM
salimshah

You will get much better answer if you post in the ES forum. If the topic has not been discussed, feel free to start a new thread.

In RX there are two belts (other than the timing belt). One belt drives the power-steering pump and the other drives the alternator and AC compressor.

If the belt breaks, you have a whip like action happens and depending on what gets whacked and how strong, there may be a fallout.

With a strong battery and day driving (without the headlights on), I drove about 50 minutes without the alternator and then my instrument cluster started acting up and I reached home, Obviously there was no AC.

If the power steering belt breaks, you loose the ease of power steering ... which can be dangerous if your biceps are not developed.

If you have been taking the vehicle for regular maintenance, Lexus would have replaced the belt at the recommended time. I think the interval is 35-45K miles.

Give your local Lexus service and ask them is the best answer I can give.

Salim