RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Foggy headlight covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-14, 05:13 PM
mgauction
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foggy headlight covers

Are there off brand replacement headlight covers that are not acrylic? Let me know what you recommend. Thank you!
Old 07-03-14, 08:36 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

What you'll find here is most guys recommending polishing the lenses with some brand of polishing kit, or buying good quality used Lexus OEM parts.
Either way there have been some great conversations on the subject. Do a search and grab a cup of Joe....
Old 07-08-14, 06:53 AM
DeadRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about others, but I have tried the 3M kit that can be purchased online and requires a drill (sold separately). I believe I could've sanded down more of the fog, but I was quite impressed. It took about an hour and last a few months. Honestly, now I just take a little hand buff and some nufinish every few weeks to keep it fresh.

Even if you buy turtle wax, it will work.
Old 07-10-14, 09:31 AM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You just need some grease elbow to polish it with acrylic lense polishing compound, and use a polishing/buffing pad (drill attachment) for better consistent results. The OEM housing lense is prone to foggy oxidation uggly yellowing for our lexus series and toyota series. So don't get it again for the same foggy problem, unless you can find one for cheap. I don't see how aftermarket part can be worse than that. Possibly, bad design and material for Hallogen Lamp heat.

Like others have said, you will still need to polish it every 3 months or so to keep it nice and clear. I bought the 3M kit, but haven't need to use it yet until last resort.
Old 07-10-14, 09:44 AM
DeadRX
Rookie

Wink

Just did a little nufinish, waited about 10 minutes until it turned white, then took it off. The headlights are more clear than before the polish. It's something that you just have to do often, especially as the car ages and definitely if the car is not garage kept.
Old 08-29-14, 03:54 PM
rednotch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadRX
Just did a little nufinish, waited about 10 minutes until it turned white, then took it off. The headlights are more clear than before the polish. It's something that you just have to do often, especially as the car ages and definitely if the car is not garage kept.

Polishing stock lights will only hold up for a few months before needing to be rebuffed. Unless you clear coat them or seal them with another UV protectant after buffing them, I would not suggest anyone use cheap clear coat from a spray can though. I just put a set of aftermarket TYC headlights on a 2000 rx300 so I don't have to keep buffing the old one's. I still have the oem's but having to polish them every few months wasn't worth it since its not my car. I signed up to list them for sale since there still in decent shape besides being a bit foggy but I guess I have to wait 30 days before I can.
Old 08-29-14, 07:06 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Also, there are no "covers" as such that I know of; if you replace, you have to replace the whole headlight unit. Another reason for trying to salvage/polish the old ones!
Old 09-03-14, 06:39 AM
DeadRX
Rookie

If you're like me and wash your car (in the nice months) every week or two, then just pick up some wax--I've used NuFinish and TurtleWax, and polish the light covers every time you wash the car. I've tried the restoration kits by both 3M and Mother's (or meguiars) and, I mean...I guess maybe I could've spent another hour buffing, but they didn't cure the cause, they just solved a little problem, but the fogginess always comes back.

So, just polish every now and then to clear them up for a little bit.
Old 09-03-14, 07:00 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rednotch
Polishing stock lights will only hold up for a few months before needing to be rebuffed. Unless you clear coat them or seal them with another UV protectant after buffing them, I would not suggest anyone use cheap clear coat from a spray can though. I just put a set of aftermarket TYC headlights on a 2000 rx300 so I don't have to keep buffing the old one's. I still have the oem's but having to polish them every few months wasn't worth it since its not my car. I signed up to list them for sale since there still in decent shape besides being a bit foggy but I guess I have to wait 30 days before I can.
Can you expound on this clear coat?
Old 12-03-14, 03:05 PM
DewHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used scratchx and an orbital sander with cloth pad. Look like new. Used meguir's kit first and it worked but not as well.
Old 12-10-14, 10:55 AM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Use bug spray on them. Check out youtube for vids... Works great!
Old 02-16-17, 11:58 AM
bltkmt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rednotch
I just put a set of aftermarket TYC headlights on a 2000 rx300 so I don't have to keep buffing the old one's.

Curious why the TYC lights would not need buffing as well?
Old 02-16-17, 12:45 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Gang

The way to keep your headlights clear is to first
get them polished if they are oxidized and then
put on a " Light Film or clear Bra "

I have a clear 3M or Expel on al my headlights and it will keep
it from oxidizing again

if you don't put a clear bra after you polished, they will
turn yellow again as the clear coat has most likely been
removed over the years by the sun damaged
Old 02-16-17, 12:50 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

01 Original head lights

Old 02-16-17, 01:51 PM
BDEBDE
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
if you don't put a clear bra after you polished, they will
turn yellow again as the clear coat has most likely been
removed over the years by the sun damaged
If you keep them protected with a sealant every couple of months they shouldn't yellow again...unless the vehicle is in direct sun light all the time. I use a 3M protectant after every few washes. I polished mine last year and haven't had any yellowing since:

Quick Reply: Foggy headlight covers