RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

1 Year or 25,000 mile oil change..Amsoil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 08:15 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 Year or 25,000 mile oil change..Amsoil?

Is this for real? I got a packet in from a distributor and the pamplets claim this is true..

Has anyone ever used this engine oil?
what about the oil filter?
has anyone gone a year on oil?

anything on the Amsoil Air filter?

they all claim some good stuff, but kinda pricey.
but a once a year oil change would save me time and money..I just don't know if i would feel that confident in the product.

what do you think?

thank you for comments.
jon
Old 08-12-08, 08:18 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alot of diesel people on the cummins forum use it; but they also have a dual oil filter system that makes the oil last alot longer and in turn they go 1 year w/o an oil change. its def legit.
Old 08-12-08, 08:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Amsoil is a very good oil, but it ain't 25K. Max I would run would be 7K and only that on German Castrol. For oil filters, I believe they are Wix, which aren't bad, but I'd still go with my trusty K&N. Air filters (well I don't run any)...K&N's got them beat on performance there. Their golden product in my opinion is their transmission fluid.
Old 08-12-08, 10:07 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Somewhere back in '01 we had a gentleman on this forum who was a multi-level distributor for Amsoil. He made all kinds of claims for his product (advertising that would get him instantly banned today), saying it was good for a year or 25K miles, and that Amsoil stood behind that claim with an iron-clad warranty for users of their products. We listened to his wild claims for several months, then silence.

After months of bragging about never changing his oil and how the rest of the world was comprised of a bunch of chumps, he got his comeuppance when his RX's engine seized. He had something like 25K miles on the vehicle, and had one oil change at about 1500 miles to install the Amsoil product. He never changed the oil after that. With about 23,000 on that oil, the engine main bearings decided to pack it in. Considering the year of the car, it is possible that sludging had something to do with the failure, but at 23K, it was clearly beyond the usable life of any detergent additives.

Our friend then began to squawk when his Lexus dealer denied the warranty claim, siting his participation in the destruction of his engine by never changing the oil. (Sadly, he documented his failure right here on this forum for all to see.) Lexus would of course be happy to replace the engine - at something like $14,000 . . . uh, cash - not even a goodwill discount, thanks to his constant rants. Amsoil boy had dug his own grave, and at that point went ballistic on this forum, screaming about being ripped off by Lexus, but he didn't get much of an audience. By this time his situation had made the rounds of several forums, and we discovered he filed a claim with Amsoil - trying to make good on that iron-clad guarantee.

As you might expect, Amsoil weaseled out and refused to pay up - even though he was a member of their "distribution network" and one of their staunchest supporters. It seems that the "warranty" never existed - it was simply an advertising claim that really couldn't be substantiated. He could have gone to court, and possibly won his case, but replacing that engine was cheaper. He dug deep into his pockets, replaced the engine, sold the car, and slunk away into internet oblivion.

Moral of the story, don't believe all of the advertising claims your hear. While I'm sure Amsoil ia a fine oil, it is a MLM product, thus it is possible that someone in the great sales pyramid may be making claims the manufacturer can't support. With a rather expensive engine at stake, well caveat emptor.

Last edited by Lil4X; 08-12-08 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-13-08, 06:40 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Somewhere back in '01 we had a gentleman on this forum who was a multi-level distributor for Amsoil. He made all kinds of claims for his product (advertising that would get him instantly banned today), saying it was good for a year or 25K miles, and that Amsoil stood behind that claim with an iron-clad warranty for users of their products. We listened to his wild claims for several months, then silence.

After months of bragging about never changing his oil and how the rest of the world was comprised of a bunch of chumps, he got his comeuppance when his RX's engine seized. He had something like 25K miles on the vehicle, and had one oil change at about 1500 miles to install the Amsoil product. He never changed the oil after that. With about 23,000 on that oil, the engine main bearings decided to pack it in. Considering the year of the car, it is possible that sludging had something to do with the failure, but at 23K, it was clearly beyond the usable life of any detergent additives.

Our friend then began to squawk when his Lexus dealer denied the warranty claim, siting his participation in the destruction of his engine by never changing the oil. (Sadly, he documented his failure right here on this forum for all to see.) Lexus would of course be happy to replace the engine - at something like $14,000 . . . uh, cash - not even a goodwill discount, thanks to his constant rants. Amsoil boy had dug his own grave, and at that point went ballistic on this forum, screaming about being ripped off by Lexus, but he didn't get much of an audience. By this time his situation had made the rounds of several forums, and we discovered he filed a claim with Amsoil - trying to make good on that iron-clad guarantee.

As you might expect, Amsoil weaseled out and refused to pay up - even though he was a member of their "distribution network" and one of their staunchest supporters. It seems that the "warranty" never existed - it was simply an advertising claim that really couldn't be substantiated. He could have gone to court, and possibly won his case, but replacing that engine was cheaper. He dug deep into his pockets, replaced the engine, sold the car, and slunk away into internet oblivion.

Moral of the story, don't believe all of the advertising claims your hear. While I'm sure Amsoil ia a fine oil, it is a MLM product, thus it is possible that someone in the great sales pyramid may be making claims the manufacturer can't support. With a rather expensive engine at stake, well caveat emptor.
I really dont believe in going more than 7,000 miles on an oil change.And that of course is with full synthetic oil.My wife has a 2006 Mercedes C-280 and they claim somewhere around 15,000 mile intervals on Mobile-1??.Now correct me if I`m wrong,but Mobile-1 isn`t even a full synthetic oil right?She said I could have the car after another 3 or 4 years ,but I am a little skeptical about it.She won`t let me change the oil in it because she want`s dealer documentation for all work done(I don`t blame her for that) mostly for resale,and warranty reasons.I will tell you right now that if I ever inherit this car,it will be getting the GC and no more than 5k oil changes after these ridiculous oil change intervals it`s having now.

Last edited by lexus114; 08-13-08 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-13-08, 09:13 AM
Pescao
Driver School Candidate

I've been using Mobil 1 for more than 15 years on my mitsubishi and I change my oil every 3500 miles, I know its a little overkill, but its better safe than sorry.
Old 08-13-08, 09:48 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you Lil4X. It's nice to have a moderator speak up on the issue of snake oil, miracle MLM products, etc.

It takes neither rocket science nor snake oil to keep a car going for a long time. Simply observe the service schedule in the owner's manual. As for the motor oil, any SAE-approved oil will do. It comes down to personal preference. For DIYers, buy whatever that is on sale.

My RX300 is now at over 129,000 miles, with all kinds of 5W30 dino oil used every 5K miles. And I use only Toyota Type-IV ATF. I've never put any additive into my RX300. It drinks mostly supermarket brand and 7Eleven gas. Yet the powertrain still has no NVH whatsoever. And it's driven hard daily in the Colorado mountain terrain and harsh climate.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 08-13-08 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-13-08, 10:07 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As Lil4x and Lexmex said, one needs to separate the product from the marketing channel. Amsoil has great products but some do not like MLM scheme.

Oil Change Interval depends on engine and usage, with 1mzfe (our engine), all oil life are shortened. 25K on Amsoil's best oil or 7.5K on Toyota branded dino oil are just asking for trouble. I am saying this because of many indepedent Used Oil Analysis from end users.

One last thing, there are tons of Amsoil salesman but also tons of anti-Amsoil folks floating around. One is saying anyone Amsoil touches turn into gold, the other side basically have beef and can't get over the Amsoil brand (if Toyota outsource to Amsoil and the bottle have a OEM label, it is a God send product to them!)
Old 08-13-08, 10:33 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in the diesel community, many people are running amsoil or other high end oils with super high change intervals. however, here's the kicker. before you just start saying "i'm running amsoil, so i dont have to change my oil for 15k miles", you must send a sample of your used oil to an analysis lab so they can tell you how much of and what kind of contaminants are in your oil. from there you can base your service intervals. the analysis isn't expensive, maybe $20 or $30. i think the place is called blackstone. google it.
every engine is different. those of us with cummins diesels can go anywhere from 7-20k miles. we also use filter bypass systems for extra filtration. google fs-2500 or the amsoil version of the same thing.
Old 08-13-08, 10:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Different engines chew up oil faster than others, and the 1MZFE is one that definitely likes to chew up and shear oil. When I first moved down to Mexico, I used a Mobil 1 15W50, largely in part because that was the only Mobil 1 sold and at the time, one of the few if any decent synthetics available at an inexpensive price. Now, that oil probably didn't get chewed up as much being heavier, but MPG was absolutely rotten, but luckily my commute was very short then. Many of you will remember I used Mobil 1 with additives and for good reason, I was burning oil running M1 5W30 straight up. Only when I got to Castrol 0W30 was I getting anywhere without additives.

Amsoil has a very good oil but they could save themselves a lot of money by reining in some of their marketing tactics.
Old 08-13-08, 12:10 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

thank you very much for this comment..I was very skeptical also, I am glad to hear some thoughts on this ...thanks everyone!
jon

Old 08-13-08, 12:19 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

thank you all for your comments...so amsoil would be okay but not with the mileage of oil change it claims..
I also see that there is a mixture of some dino, some blend, some synthetic..I have mostly used dino for all my vehicles , but thinking about changing to synthetic...

so the most important is mileage change ....right? so every 5000 miles with synthetic is what I should be doing right..I want to go synthetic..I can get castrol locally, I think..

thanks for all the help., thanks lexmex and carguy07 for great private messages on some of my questions...
I have learned alot about this new ride and your experiances are appreciated..

jon
Old 08-13-08, 01:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hcfarm
thank you all for your comments...so amsoil would be okay but not with the mileage of oil change it claims..
I also see that there is a mixture of some dino, some blend, some synthetic..I have mostly used dino for all my vehicles , but thinking about changing to synthetic...

so the most important is mileage change ....right? so every 5000 miles with synthetic is what I should be doing right..I want to go synthetic..I can get castrol locally, I think..

thanks for all the help., thanks lexmex and carguy07 for great private messages on some of my questions...
I have learned alot about this new ride and your experiances are appreciated..

jon
Jon,

German Castrol I have seen at only two places in the U.S., Autozone and Pep Boys. It is branded Castrol 0W30 European Formula.

Ron
Old 08-14-08, 07:44 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

thanks ron, called autozone and they have it!
thanks for the tip!

jon
Originally Posted by Lexmex
Jon,

German Castrol I have seen at only two places in the U.S., Autozone and Pep Boys. It is branded Castrol 0W30 European Formula.

Ron
Old 10-23-08, 04:54 PM
kasak
Rookie

mobil 1 5w30 is not fully synthetic? how about royal purpel synthetic? Autozone is running a special now.. 5 quarts of royal purple with filter for 29.98.
How do you know if your last oil change was synthetic or not? I drove 5K mi after buying the car and don't know what was in there.
there used to be a sticky or something on some recommendations for all types of oil on rx300. I searched and couldn't find it. Anyone know? thx.

Quick Reply: 1 Year or 25,000 mile oil change..Amsoil?