ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003-182/)
-   -   reflectors (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/354586-reflectors.html)

miniround 05-11-08 07:29 PM

reflectors

can someone find me black overlays for the rear bumper reflectors on the bottom?

bob2200 05-12-08 03:04 AM

How about black paint?

Lexmex 05-12-08 06:16 AM

I considered painting mine as well when I was down in Mexico. However, another option would be to put body filler over it, smooth it down, and then paint it.

smerre01 05-12-08 09:44 AM

Black Duct Tape!!!! :d:d

salimshah 05-12-08 10:16 AM

There may be local codes that require the reflectors to be there. There is some reflection provided by the pillar back lights but check before you alter them.

Salim

smerre01 05-12-08 02:09 PM

Fingernail polish? Is that an option, LOL..... sorry was sitting here at work and just thought of that, had to post it.

miniround 05-12-08 06:05 PM

I actually asked a Palm Beach County Sheriff today and he said that you can get cited for rendering reflectors that came stock on a car made after 1999.

figures.

I may buy 2 lexus stickers (like the brake ones) and paint them black and stick them over.

Lexmex 05-13-08 06:25 AM

The Toyota Harrier also has those same reflectors. I saw a good deal of vehicles back in Mexico and also here in the U.S. that don't have refelctors on the back, but most by my judgment are older than 99.

I actually considered doing in the reflectors by putting body filler over them and then painting.

What is true is that so many cars don't have the side reflectors that my uncle smoothed out and painted over before I left.

lexus114 05-13-08 06:27 AM

Yeah,but why give yourself a reason to get pulled over? Even if your all legal otherwise,it`s never convenient.And sometimes a fine to boot.

Lexmex 05-13-08 06:44 AM

I actually kept if for safety reasons as I realized that not having the side markers, I would potentially be leaving someone oblivious to my presence say in a situation where at night I forget to turn on my lights (let's say I was in a well lighted area to begin with) and then turn into a dark area, but before I could turn on my lights somebody slams into me from behind (especially since I have a black RX). Again quite hypothetical, but it could happen, so the reflectors stayed.

Lexmex 05-13-08 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by lexus114 (Post 3520625)
Yeah,but why give yourself a reason to get pulled over? Even if your all legal otherwise,it`s never convenient.And sometimes a fine to boot.

Although technically illegal, police need to have a sharp eye to know what to look for. I would think this kind of modification may be less noticeable than others. However, as I alluded to with my hypothetical above, supposing you are in an accident, the a smart and crafty lawyer (and especially those working for the insurance companies) will pick at every last scab to get the blood flowing and they will find that modification. So there is reason enough there.