RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

window switch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 08:26 PM
satxrx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window switch problem? - UPDATE! FIXED!

I have a '99 RX AWD and noticed that I have problems lowering and raising the rear windows from the driver side controls. On driver's side rear window, I can only get all down/all up. Nothing in between. On the passenger's rear window, I cannot get all down/all up. I have to hold the switch down or up the entire time. Weird!?!?

Anyone else had this problem? Is it the motor? or the switches that are bad? If it just the switch, can I replace the switch myself? And who sells this part new or used?

HELP!

Last edited by satxrx; 02-01-07 at 06:18 PM. Reason: fixed window switch. update.
Old 01-10-07, 04:36 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Before assuming it's the switches, it's possible that the one-touch up/down feature just needs to be re-initialized. This process is for an RX330, but it might work for an RX300:

1. Turn the ignition to "on".
2. Open the driver's window all the way, holding the switch down the whole time.
3. Pull up on the switch to close the window, and continue holding the switch up for about one second until after the window closes.
4. The power windows should all work normally, and the jam protection feature should be enabled.
Old 01-10-07, 08:45 AM
satxrx
Driver

Thanks for your reply. I just tried the process but the rear windows still don't work.
Old 01-10-07, 09:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by satxrx
Thanks for your reply. I just tried the process but the rear windows still don't work.
Well, there is anti-jam device, that if that fails, the window will only go up and down by holding the button as you are doing. It is in the motor unit itself and to fix it by yourself may require a bit of technical expertise with regard to that particular piece. I say this because my uncle has a friend down the street who can fix this, but having watch him it is not easy trick.

I don't have my manual in front of me offhand, but I vaguely recall seeing something like what rxdriver mentioned in the manual itself. Perhaps some in the forum can given you a quicker response until I get home who has the manual handy.
Old 01-11-07, 03:18 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a '99 RX AWD and noticed that I have problems lowering and raising the rear windows from the driver side controls. On driver's side rear window, I can only get all down/all up. Nothing in between. On the passenger's rear window, I cannot get all down/all up. I have to hold the switch down or up the entire time. Weird!?!?

Anyone else had this problem? Is it the motor? or the switches that are bad? If it just the switch, can I replace the switch myself? And who sells this part new or used?

HELP!
You said "from the drivers side controls". Does this mean that they work ok from the switches at the window. If this is the case, it's the driver side switches. Most likely just need cleaning. Others have pulled the switch assembly from the door and sprayed it with contact cleaner to fix.

Last edited by mikey00; 01-11-07 at 03:19 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-11-07, 08:47 PM
satxrx
Driver

Originally Posted by mikey00
You said "from the drivers side controls". Does this mean that they work ok from the switches at the window. If this is the case, it's the driver side switches. Most likely just need cleaning. Others have pulled the switch assembly from the door and sprayed it with contact cleaner to fix.
Thanks, Mikey00. Any idea on what's required to pull the assembly from the door? I really hope this will fix the problem, don't want to have to buy an whole new assembly!
Old 01-12-07, 02:55 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Mikey00. Any idea on what's required to pull the assembly from the door? I really hope this will fix the problem, don't want to have to buy an whole new assembly!
The switch assembly should be held in by clips and just pull out from the door panel. I haven't had the need to remove the switch myself but here is a link to someone who has:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...hl=door+switch

Last edited by mikey00; 01-12-07 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-12-07, 07:17 PM
satxrx
Driver

Originally Posted by mikey00
The switch assembly should be held in by clips and just pull out from the door panel. I haven't had the need to remove the switch myself but here is a link to someone who has:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...hl=door+switch
Thanks again!

After a couple of hours of "lubing" the switch I wasn't completely successful in getting the controls to work the way they should. I'll just probably end up buying a new switch later.

FYI: for those attempting to remove the driver's switch panel let me suggest that you pry it off gently and start from the top (facing forward part) of the panel and once you feel it loose then pull forward and not straight up. There's a plastic clip at the back end (facing rear part) of the panel that will break off if not removed properly.

Silverlining: I got to clean out the switch - it was caked with dust. And now the whole panel looks and feels new - just doesn't operate that way.
Old 01-17-07, 10:04 AM
EnzoRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

satxrx,

I had the same problem with my 2001 RX. The front passenger window had a mind of its own. I just purchased a new master window switch and a new front passenger window switch and replaced the old switches.

I am sure that cleaning the lubing the old switches will work. But I do not know how long it would be before the window switches failed again with this inexpensive fix. I just bit the bullet and shelled out the $765.00 for both of the new parts (since I will be keeping the RX until the wheels fall off, I decided to splurge a little). The passenger's side was easy to replace. The driver's side was a little bit trickier to pull out the switch. I scratched up the trim a little bit on the driver's side...but not too badly to make my heart ache too much.

Good luck with the fix.
Old 01-17-07, 06:28 PM
satxrx
Driver

Originally Posted by EnzoRX
satxrx,

I had the same problem with my 2001 RX. The front passenger window had a mind of its own. I just purchased a new master window switch and a new front passenger window switch and replaced the old switches.

I am sure that cleaning the lubing the old switches will work. But I do not know how long it would be before the window switches failed again with this inexpensive fix. I just bit the bullet and shelled out the $765.00 for both of the new parts (since I will be keeping the RX until the wheels fall off, I decided to splurge a little). The passenger's side was easy to replace. The driver's side was a little bit trickier to pull out the switch. I scratched up the trim a little bit on the driver's side...but not too badly to make my heart ache too much.

Good luck with the fix.
Hi Enzo,

Yes, I've decided to purchase a new driver-side switch assembly but I'm going to wait and see if I can get it at less than what the dealership wants. I've even thought of checking out the "pick-and-pulls" but that might prove a little like Russian roulette. eBay may be my best option. I saw a new assembly on there but I didn't bid on it in time. They wanted $169. Hopefully, another one will come up.
Old 01-17-07, 08:04 PM
EnzoRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

satxrx,

The part number for the driver's side master swtich is: 84040-48020-C0

If you contact Ryan at www.irontoad.com he will give you a pretty good price. The master window switch alone will run ya around $500 or so including shipping. I called around to some dealerships around here and they wanted to charge another 30% to 40% more than irontoad.com just for the parts. Imagine what it would be if I had the dealership change out the switches...probably another few hundred bucks for the labor.

Yeah, I know it's a little pricey to get new parts...but hey, I have peace of mind now. I also wanted to cheap out and go to a salvage yard or eBay, but ya just never know what you are getting and if you will have the same problem with a used part. All of my windows work perfectly now. Before I was afraid to even crack open the front passenger window cuz it would take forever to close it up fully again.
Old 01-18-07, 06:00 PM
satxrx
Driver

Thanks Enzo. I'll keep 'em in mind. It's not totally driving me nuts yet but when it does...
Old 02-01-07, 06:21 PM
satxrx
Driver

Just an update. I purchased a brand new master switch from a seller on eBay for $125(!!!) and installed it today. The switch and windows now work perfectly!

One repair done... a few more to go...

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 05-05-07, 07:43 PM
shawnst
Driver School Candidate

FYI: for those attempting to remove the driver's switch panel let me suggest that you pry it off gently and start from the top (facing forward part) of the panel and once you feel it loose then pull forward and not straight up. There's a plastic clip at the back end (facing rear part) of the panel that will break off if not removed properly.

Silverlining: I got to clean out the switch - it was caked with dust. And now the whole panel looks and feels new - just doesn't operate that way.
Help Please ... I was trying to get the driver's power window switch panel off .. I used a flat head screw driver trying to pry it off (from the door/window lock-buttons side) .. It feels like I can't get it off without breaking something ... what's the trick? should I just pry harder? Can someone please share your successful experiences? Thanks.
Old 09-30-07, 03:17 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry this reply is slow -- I just joined recently. If you haven't gotten the switch out yet:
I used a nylon tool called a "bone" which I got from the IPD Volvo site. It's specifically for interior trim removal. It looks like a very large, thick collar stay, but it's rigid. Prying under the forward edge of that switch assembly will eventually loosen it, but I thought several times that the woodgrain panel would break apart. As satxrx says, pry up the front end of the panel first. The rear end hooks deeply under the opening.

Quick Reply: window switch problem?