RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Squeaky Steering Wheel Problem (Pics and video)

Old 03-25-08, 11:59 AM
drumboy12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip! I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 05-18-08, 03:58 PM
rx300s415
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright I finally have decided to once and for all get rid of this noise. I got a hold of some silicone grease spray. I read through this thread and the other and I'm still kind of confused on where to spray. Am I supposed to open the rectangular piece covering the side of the steering wheel itself and spray somewhere in there? (Wouldn't this harm the airbag system or what not? I have no idea.) Or am I supposed to spray some area behind the accelerator/brake pedals? Can someone possibly draw a arrow on some of the pics posted as to where I should be spraying the grease/lube?
Old 05-19-08, 05:27 AM
TampRX300
Driver

no grease, just silicone lubricant or wd-40. The locations you mentioned are the ones to spray. Good luck, I still have a smooth/quiet wheel.
Old 05-19-08, 10:57 AM
rx300s415
Driver

So when I am spraying into the open side of the steering wheel there isn't anything extremely sensitive that I can't touch with the silicone lubricant?
Old 05-27-08, 07:54 PM
Shake1
Driver School Candidate

I don't really know. I just sprayed all over inside the steering wheel and by the footwell. I think it was something inside the steering wheel cover that was making noise. The noise has not came back yet so it's still all good. I used WD-40 no silocone.
Old 05-28-08, 11:44 PM
rx300s415
Driver

Thanks. Hey Shake1, I couldn't help but notice....is that a C-Class in your signature? I have a '03 C230 Kompressor. I'm also a member over at mbworld.org . Are you over there too?
Old 08-20-09, 12:49 AM
trips1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just came across this thread while looking for noise issue with my steering wheel.
I am getting this noise from last 2.5 years and i had got it checked at Lexus dealer as part of some other repair (Oil Sludge issue, fixed by Lexus without any charge).
Lexus dealership had mentioned about "Noise coming from Spiral Cable" and the cost to fix it was 400-500$. It was not any safety hazard and so i did not bother to get it fixed at the dealership.
The noise is very low and sounds like something wrapped around my steering wheel.

I am just wondering if the noise would be due to the similar issue with the bushings as mentioned in this post?
Has anyone heard about "Spiral Cable" in the steering wheel.

Should i let an independent mechanic open the steering shaft to look into this and grease/oil the shaft along with the bushing.
What would be reasonable for an independent mechanic charge for this?

Thanks.
Trips.
Old 07-18-12, 09:45 PM
HYPERBOY
Lexus Test Driver

bump.
thank god for CL....
Old 10-20-14, 05:08 PM
cbrf23
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Squeak fixed - was coming from rubber boot area

This forum is great!
Just picked up an '01 RX300 for a winter / bad weather car and I'm fixing all the little things that helped me get it cheap (:

I just wanted to post up since people were hitting everything and not sure what the actual source of the noise was.

For me it was where the splined shaft enters the rubber boot on the floor.
I first sprayed inside the wheel from the little access door towards where the back of the steering wheel. Sprayed all around in there, did nothing for the noise even after turning the wheel back and forth multiple (15-20 or so times).

I then removed the panel on the bottom of the dash (2 X 8mm screws, rest are just clips that pop out) and I was able to clearly access that area where the shaft passes through the rubber boot.
Sprayed all round the rubber boot, did nothing. Sprayed the shaft all around (got in down the splines) and the noise went away.

Oh, and I used motorcycle chain lube (since I had a couple cans laying around and figured it would be a good lube that wouldn't wear off quickly).
The following 2 users liked this post by cbrf23:
rhmyers (01-04-23), tiguy99 (07-07-19)
Old 10-20-14, 06:05 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome to the club! You're doing the right thing by searching and finding the answers yourself. Mine was squeaking down where it passes through the firewall, and I used silicone spray which took care of it.

Loads of great info on this site, which I'm sure you're finding out....
Old 11-16-14, 08:23 AM
ydnar
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Squeak Gone

The problem in our 2002 240,000-miler was at the floorboard level. My old ears swore it was in the steering wheel cover-to steering column connection, but this msg board led me to the fix.

I believe the noise emanates due to the rubber-to-rubber connex at the firewall/column spline connex. Just for good measure, I sprayed the universal joints at the steering column also.

Silicone spray- $4.00, Time- 5 Minutes.
Wife's Silence---- Priceless.
The following 2 users liked this post by ydnar:
rhmyers (01-04-23), tiguy99 (07-07-19)
Old 11-16-14, 10:02 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by ydnar
The problem in our 2002 240,000-miler was at the floorboard level. My old ears swore it was in the steering wheel cover-to steering column connection, but this msg board led me to the fix.

I believe the noise emanates due to the rubber-to-rubber connex at the firewall/column spline connex. Just for good measure, I sprayed the universal joints at the steering column also.

Silicone spray- $4.00, Time- 5 Minutes.
Wife's Silence---- Priceless.
Welcome to club lexus.

Never thought that CL provides means for matrimonial bliss.

Salim
Old 11-19-14, 01:31 PM
shumif1
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2001 rx 300 with the same noise , I think mine is definitely the clockspring, i'm just too lazy to take off the steering wheel and check. Clocksprings are a non serviceable item so i will just replace it eventually.
Old 11-24-14, 08:51 AM
Pughnitive
Driver School Candidate

CL strikes again! My steering wheel has been squeaking for about a year now and I finally found the time today to try and fix it. (It never really bothered me, but I did get sick of explaining what the sound was to new passengers. ) Looked up the issue on CL and found this thread, which was exactly what I needed.

I sprayed white lithium grease at the point where the olive green plastic piece meets the round rubber part. I have no idea what the actual names of these pieces are, sorry..Maybe this pic I doctored up from Shake1's original post will help.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Bryan
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (07-07-19)
Old 11-28-14, 11:16 AM
maorsela
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pughnitive
CL strikes again! My steering wheel has been squeaking for about a year now and I finally found the time today to try and fix it. (It never really bothered me, but I did get sick of explaining what the sound was to new passengers. ) Looked up the issue on CL and found this thread, which was exactly what I needed.
ha, same thing on my 2002: ignored it for 2-3 years, but it became more and more unbearable, especially since we moved to Chicago, so when it's cold, it squeaks a lot.

Sprayed white lithium grease as well, at the bottom where the rod enters the firewall, silent as whisper now

Thanks everyone!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaky Steering Wheel Problem (Pics and video)