ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003-182/)
-   -   Shocks KYB GR-2 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/327873-shocks-kyb-gr-2-a.html)

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:16 PM

Shocks KYB GR-2

1 Attachment(s)
The following is not meant as a DIY. I thought about it, but realized that without an air pistol, special clamps and EXPERIENCE with doing this type of project, this is best left to a trained professional (unless you have such experience). The reason being that the installation of shocks requires the removal and reinstallation of springs. I have been at a place where a spring was inappropriately removed and it shot off like a rocket inside a facility damaging a customer's vehicle. Thus, what I present is just my experience only and I will try to be specific where possible.

On the front shocks, I have to apologize for the lack of pictures on the part of the upper portion of the shocks as both my fronts were no longer OEM due to modifications over the years (due to bad Mexico City streets) and I will provide some other information that may help.

Below is the nicely packed box that contained the 4 KYB GR-2 shocks. Keep in mind that those with AWD models, like me, have a different shock number for the rear shocks only.

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My cousin Carlos kicks off this project by placing the lift mounts below the vehicle. We recently installed this lift within the last 2 months and it has been nothing but a blessing for our little garage.

I am that little reflection off the side of the vehicle.

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Carlos puts the mounts underneath on the other side.

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let's start with the front and get the lugnuts off.

I will sometimes switch off on photos from each side simply due to clarity, though the shots being shown are on a Canon A630, a slight improvement over my old and now gone Canon A610.

This front right side was where the so-called problem shock was and it consisted of a smaller cartridge off a Nissan Pathfinder until we could obtain the present KYB shocks.

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As you can tell we are already off the ground.

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let's start by remvoing the two camber bolts at the base of the shock. These 7/8 inch from my recollection and we needed to use the air pistol with extension and later a breaker bar to get them off.

You will also notice to the right we have loosened up the 14 inch bolt of the stabilizer bar link.

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a shot from the other side with the camber bolts still in place (we will see a shot later after installation that will make this clearer).

Here we are removing the 12 mm bolt that hooks on to the flexible hose that feeds brake fluid to the caliper. (we will see a clearer shot later).

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a view of the use of the breaker bar to get off the camber bolts. If you look just to the right of that top camber bolt you will see that 12 mm bolt that hold the flexible hose containing the brake fluid.

So to recap, to get the lower part of the front shocks off you need to remove the 7/8 inch camber bolts, the 12 mm flexible hose (brake fluid hose) and finally the 14 mm stabilizer bar link bolt.

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the 14 mm stabilizer bar link bolt.

Next we will go up top to the engine bay.

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There are 3 14 mm bolts holding the top of the shock. They are easily accessible on the right side shock as shown here. We used an air pistol to take them off.

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After removal of the bolts.

That center bolt is not OEM, this is the modified shock. Normally, the bolts on top are 3/4 inch bolts.

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now the old shock can be pulled out.

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And put it on the ground.

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You may have noticed in one of the preceding shots, this is the KYB GR-2 shock that will go in on this side.

Lexmex 01-05-08 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now it is time for fun as we have to take the springs off. If you do not have something that can remove the springs effectively other than your hands, abandon all hope. I was going to call this a DIY, but definitely is not that.

Carlos attaches a clamp to both sides and proceeds to work on it with the air pistol.