RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Has your RX 300 surpassed 200k miles??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 07:54 PM
aznlapin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just recently inherited a 2002 AWD. It's got 217,000 miles on the clock!

Sadly, the transmission had to be replaced a few thousand miles ago. Engine is original though.
Old 01-06-14, 05:53 AM
Dedotom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dedotom

My 2000 Rx300 currently has 310,000 miles on original engine. Still runs great. Don't know how much longer I will keep it.
Old 01-06-14, 06:58 AM
dbui
Driver

RX300 2001 just pass 200k and loving it! original everything, second time timing belts and water pump with tune up done last month. Sweet!!!
Old 01-06-14, 07:24 AM
bergi85
10th Gear

Well.....my transmission just gave up the ghost about a month back. It was a 2000 and had 23x,xxx Miles on it. It was going to cost more than the car was worth to fix, so I sold it as is. I loved that car! The only major work done on it was the knock sensor, which I did myself. Everything else was routine maintenance. It was the most reliable car I have owned.
Old 01-08-14, 06:44 AM
burgca
Driver School Candidate

Default Original Owner

2000 RX 300 AWD Bought new Mar 2001 currently has 237,000 miles
Transmission Replaced at 130,000
Engine no issues
Front and rear axle replaced
Starter - Is under review for replacement

Mainly dealer serviced (CT, ME, PA)

Very reliable car and repairs are still cheaper then purchasing another new car
Old 01-08-14, 08:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by burgca
2000 RX 300 AWD Bought new Mar 2001 currently has 237,000 miles
Transmission Replaced at 130,000
Engine no issues
Front and rear axle replaced
Starter - Is under review for replacement

Mainly dealer serviced (CT, ME, PA)

Very reliable car and repairs are still cheaper then purchasing another new car
Welcome to the Club.
Old 01-08-14, 09:12 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bergi85
Well.....my transmission just gave up the ghost about a month back. It was a 2000 and had 23x,xxx Miles on it. It was going to cost more than the car was worth to fix, so I sold it as is. I loved that car! The only major work done on it was the knock sensor, which I did myself. Everything else was routine maintenance. It was the most reliable car I have owned.
........just curious..... what is your math when it comes to calculating the repair cost vs. what it is worth? I know that people usually take KBB value and compare the cost but I wonder if that is correct.

My math is doing the annual cost calculation of a new car (depreciation + interest if financed - smiles and convenience of a brand new car) vs. figuring out how much it costs to maintain my current car - just for this year. And I do this annually. I've been averaging about $1700 in repair/maintenance costs per year on my car, which is obiviously paid off by now. A new RX, on the other hand, would probably cost about $17K ($10 in depreciation, $7K in payments) the first year. So, I cannot bring myself to pull the trigger. I guess it's the "pleasure" or "fullfillment" of a new car that has to make up for the $15.3K difference.

thoughts?

Last edited by MellonC00; 01-08-14 at 09:13 AM. Reason: added content
Old 01-10-14, 04:51 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Default Im just at 112700

I started the thread...Have not been here in a while...

I have a 2001 AWD RX 300..Im at 112,700 with original transmission...

Just did all major fluids, belt at 100K, and brakes...

Its my winter ride

Got a cayman for my summer driving
Old 01-13-14, 07:13 AM
bergi85
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MellonC00
........just curious..... what is your math when it comes to calculating the repair cost vs. what it is worth? I know that people usually take KBB value and compare the cost but I wonder if that is correct.

My math is doing the annual cost calculation of a new car (depreciation + interest if financed - smiles and convenience of a brand new car) vs. figuring out how much it costs to maintain my current car - just for this year. And I do this annually. I've been averaging about $1700 in repair/maintenance costs per year on my car, which is obiviously paid off by now. A new RX, on the other hand, would probably cost about $17K ($10 in depreciation, $7K in payments) the first year. So, I cannot bring myself to pull the trigger. I guess it's the "pleasure" or "fullfillment" of a new car that has to make up for the $15.3K difference.

thoughts?
We ended up getting an Acura TSX. The thing is, right now it is just me and my wife, we have no kids and usually do a lot of city driving. The TSX does a lot better on gas in city driving, so for us it was pretty easy. As for the math, I looked at KBB and NADA and our local listings, because that gives us an idea of what people are really asking for and selling for, I looked at getting a used transmission vs rebuilding. I also looked at all the other little things that I may need to fix soon.

All of these things together made me think that it was time to move on. My father did the whole repair repair repair thing on this Ford and he has paid more money in repairs than buying a new car (now i know it is Ford quality vs Lexus quality here, but you get my point).

So, there wasn't any one method we used. We could have argued either way, it just felt like it was time to move on.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-13-14, 12:07 PM
Dietz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1999 with 210,000 miles on it. I had a complete tune up done this past May, timing belt, water pump, all 6 ignition coils, spark plugs, anti freeze, transmission fluid. The only thing I did not change was the break fluid. This was preventive maintenence for me. This was done at Lexus dealer and cost me $2120.40 I think it was money well spent. I still get 17-20 around town and 23 highway. I plan on having this car for 300,000 miles and more. The dealer told me the car is running great. I do all my own oil changes at 3k miles. NO SYNTHETIC. Engine is too old for it.

I know have 234,000 on the car and I still change my own oil every 3k. I have developed a slow oil leak, I can smell it at stop lights, but nothing is on the ground when parked over night. This week I am having rear struts replaced; one is gone, but if you change one you should change both.
I have no complaints about the car at all other than the gas mileage, but if want all wheel drive you have to expect that. I am still aiming at 300K. At that point I will lease a vehicle and still keep the RX300, but I have to get there first.
I would drive this car cross country tomorrow if need be, that is how well it runs for me.
On a side note, the Lexus dealer offered me 6k at trade in when I had the tune up done. I thought that was darn good, but having no car payment far outweighed owning a newer vehicle.

Last edited by Dietz; 01-13-14 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-13-14, 08:35 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dietz
I have a 1999 with 210,000 miles on it. I had a complete tune up done this past May, timing belt, water pump, all 6 ignition coils, spark plugs, anti freeze, transmission fluid. The only thing I did not change was the break fluid. This was preventive maintenence for me. This was done at Lexus dealer and cost me $2120.40 I think it was money well spent. I still get 17-20 around town and 23 highway. I plan on having this car for 300,000 miles and more. The dealer told me the car is running great. I do all my own oil changes at 3k miles. NO SYNTHETIC. Engine is too old for it.

I know have 234,000 on the car and I still change my own oil every 3k. I have developed a slow oil leak, I can smell it at stop lights, but nothing is on the ground when parked over night. This week I am having rear struts replaced; one is gone, but if you change one you should change both.
I have no complaints about the car at all other than the gas mileage, but if want all wheel drive you have to expect that. I am still aiming at 300K. At that point I will lease a vehicle and still keep the RX300, but I have to get there first.
I would drive this car cross country tomorrow if need be, that is how well it runs for me.
On a side note, the Lexus dealer offered me 6k at trade in when I had the tune up done. I thought that was darn good, but having no car payment far outweighed owning a newer vehicle.
Not sure I agree with the too old for synthetic argument. I have been running synthetic in mine since I got it in 2005...no issues...I think synthetic may be better for these engines
Old 01-22-14, 09:41 PM
cookiemon
Driver School Candidate

have a 2000 rx 300 with 350,000 kms..thats 217, 000..still going strong..didnt change the timing belt as yet...had to replace a couple of O2 sensors..but still kicking
Old 01-25-14, 08:34 PM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dietz
I do all my own oil changes at 3k miles. NO SYNTHETIC. Engine is too old for it.

No such thing!! Our engine is so prone to sludge, you want the best oil possible.

That's an old oil myth
Old 01-26-14, 07:49 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Erics99RX
No such thing!! Our engine is so prone to sludge, you want the best oil possible.

That's an old oil myth
Some very informative discussion here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-question.html

Salim
Old 01-27-14, 03:21 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Erics99RX

That's an old oil myth
+1. I've been running synthetic also. Not a drop of oil anywhere and my dip stick comes up quite clear after running 5K miles.......

---------------------

Incidentally, I drove the Porsche Cayenne Diesel the other day to perhaps make the switch only to find out that it doesn't fit full size golf bags horizontally....

Quick Reply: Has your RX 300 surpassed 200k miles??