RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Another "what should I look for" in buying a RX300 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-07, 09:58 AM
Sceptre
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "what should I look for" in buying a RX300 Thread

Hi All.

I've got a GS so I don't venture into the RX forums much (at all) but I'm thinking about picking up a RX300 for my wife. She is going to grad school (medicine) and I want to reward her. She has always liked the RX300 and commented on it quite a few times (she is not a car person so that is a big deal).

Anyways, I've done the search and from what I gather, the RX is as stout as the GS. Areas of concern that some of the member have had is transmission failure and sludge in the engine. Aside from these issues and the just making sure all the maintenance is properly maintained, anything else I should be aware of? Since she is going back to school, we are on a budget, (I've got 10K saved up for my "toy" car which I'm going to use to buy the RX with).

Thanks all.

Anyone in TX got the hook-ups?
Old 12-01-07, 10:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I would take a closer look at the history of transmission fluid changes over the oil changes and make sure that you obtain this.

It used to be 30K between tranny fluid changes, now I have heard 15K between changes, and that is about the maximum I would want to see when looking at the service history. As far as oil, no greater than a maximum of 7K between changes.

Now, another important thing is how many miles. There is a big service at the 90K interval that involves changing out the accessory, timing (big one) and as an option the water pump. In addition, if it hadn't been done at 60K, it should be done at 90K, the spark plugs (but this one is not to hard of a DIY if you follow our instructions).

I can tell you I have seen just about every little bump, bruise (even now) with my RX300 for where I have it and with what I do with it, it is a very nice vehicle, a pleasure to own.

Most of the small issues that do occur with this vehicle can usually easily be addressed by the advice we give in this forum.
Old 12-01-07, 11:02 AM
Sceptre
Pole Position

Thanks for the input. Yes, I'm going to try and find a low mileage (under 100K) if at all possible. Anyone have an idea of how much the 90K service is? As I understand that one is the timing belt / water pump change service. thanks.

Any suggestions on which model years are better / different options etc . . .?

Last edited by Sceptre; 12-01-07 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-01-07, 11:39 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Since our household has the GS, SC and RX ..,, the RX is the lowest in build quality among the three .. there is a price difference and they cant be equal. I always reach for RX keys when ever I have a choice to pick any. It does not mean that the RX is poor in quality, just relatively less cost in production. The ownership experience is the same and maintenance costs are almost the same (v8 vs v6).

The 90k service at min at dealership would cost you around 800, while typically it would be 1200. It should not be a surprise to anyone that the labor charges on Lexus will be high and the parts cost is only slightly lower than European luxury brands.

Purchasing a used vehicle is slight gamble [in reality you can get a lemon in new vehicles too], as you have very little recourse, if something is wrong. Looking at vehicle maintenance history is the ONLY thing that can reduce the risk. Just dont look for the service performed, but also infer history by date of service etc.

Salim
Old 12-01-07, 11:46 AM
Sceptre
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Since our household has the GS, SC and RX ..,, the RX is the lowest in build quality among the three .. there is a price difference and they cant be equal. I always reach for RX keys when ever I have a choice to pick any. It does not mean that the RX is poor in quality, just relatively less cost in production. The ownership experience is the same and maintenance costs are almost the same (v8 vs v6).

The 90k service at min at dealership would cost you around 800, while typically it would be 1200. It should not be a surprise to anyone that the labor charges on Lexus will be high and the parts cost is only slightly lower than European luxury brands.

Purchasing a used vehicle is slight gamble [in reality you can get a lemon in new vehicles too], as you have very little recourse, if something is wrong. Looking at vehicle maintenance history is the ONLY thing that can reduce the risk. Just dont look for the service performed, but also infer history by date of service etc.

Salim

Thanks. I've had several used car before and I like to do a through research and inspection of the vehicle before i get it. Plus I'm a DIY / weekend warrior kind of guy so i don't mind getting my hands dirty to replace / fix issues before i have them, especially since this is going to be my wife's car. Regardless of what the paperwork say, within the first week of ownership on a used car, I'll do or get done all fluids / battery / brakes just so i have a peace of mind.

Thanks for the input. Where in Austin are you? I'm in the Oak hills area. WE are relatively new to Austin. Any suggestion of good shops around town that do good honest work and won't overcharge?
Old 12-01-07, 03:00 PM
burl
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 2000 RX300 from Lexus of Austin. It had 75K, was a one owner car bought new at LOA and had ALL of the records. It had all of the service done at LOA except tires. Bearden Auto on Technology blvd was recommended as a great place to have service/repairs done. I believe the owner is an ex employee of the Lexus dealership.
Old 12-01-07, 03:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Sceptre
Thanks for the input. Yes, I'm going to try and find a low mileage (under 100K) if at all possible. Anyone have an idea of how much the 90K service is? As I understand that one is the timing belt / water pump change service. thanks.

Any suggestions on which model years are better / different options etc . . .?
From what I recall it was about $900 USD or so.

Well, the navigation option and a better wood trim didn't come into effect until the 2001 model year. So I would look at the 2001-03 models.
Old 12-01-07, 05:00 PM
Sceptre
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexmex
From what I recall it was about $900 USD or so.

Well, the navigation option and a better wood trim didn't come into effect until the 2001 model year. So I would look at the 2001-03 models.
Is Navi and wood options the only changes from pre 01 vs post 01 model years?
Old 12-01-07, 05:22 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sceptre
Is Navi and wood options the only changes from pre 01 vs post 01 model years?
Redesigned rear lights.
HIDs?
Introduction of the SilverSport (IMO best looking of the series) in black or silver.
Other stuff that people will chime in about.
Old 12-02-07, 08:13 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I think VSC was new for 2001 too.
Old 12-02-07, 04:34 PM
ACZ
Driver School Candidate

I just commited to purchasing a 2000 RX with 100,000 miles yesterday. I know the owner (He purchased it new) and he had it serviced every 5,000 miles and had the 30,60 and 90k service, as I have viewed all his records. My wife has a 2001, with 72k, and I drove a 2002 with 50K and they all drive and ride the same. I paid less than half for what the Dealer wanted for the 2002, which had half as many miles, although it was Cerified.
Old 12-03-07, 12:41 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Black leather int. was first avail. in 2001 supposedly,sludge problem was fixed in late 2001 models (probably just made oil return holes in heads a little bigger) and maybe raised the thermostat temp a bit. Just a guese, don`t quote me on how they fixed it.
Old 12-11-07, 05:46 PM
Sceptre
Pole Position

So has it been confirmed that the tranny issue and engine sludge has been address for 2001+ RX300? I've been searching again and there were a few posts that mention this. IS that true?

Thanks.
Old 12-12-07, 10:09 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

From what i understand,and has previsouly been mentioned some where on here,you are safest to go with a 2002 on.Or a very late 2001 at best.I personaly own a 2001 with no trans. or sludge problem as to date. (awd) but I switched to synthetic in motor and drive train.Trans fluid is already synthetic. BTW mine has only 80,500k on it.

Last edited by lexus114; 12-13-07 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-12-07, 12:33 PM
Sceptre
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexus114
From what i understand,and has previsouly been mentioned some where on here,you are safest to go with a 2002 on.Or a very late 2001 at best.I personal own a 2001 with no trans. or sludge problem as to date. (awd) but I switched to synthetic in motor and drive train.Trans fluid is already synthetic.
Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Another "what should I look for" in buying a RX300 Thread