RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

drag on deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-09, 06:22 PM
powerslide
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compression brake feeling

This is a thread from last year i started. But i started thinking about it again and now i am wondering if that extra force on deceleration could be harder on the trans, and causing early failure. I now have 80,000 on the org. tranny and it is 2wd. I also have a 2009 Corolla and it does not do this. The RX transmission to throttle is very sensitive. It has done this from new.
Old 02-01-09, 09:06 PM
miss_cebu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm experiencing the same thing....drag acceleration:-(
I'm at 89k and wondering if I have to do timing belt now or wait a little longer. I'm might have to do another tranny fluid flush (pan drop). What's the "average" cost for timing belt replacement for RX300?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-02-09, 12:44 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by miss_cebu
I'm experiencing the same thing....drag acceleration:-(
I'm at 89k and wondering if I have to do timing belt now or wait a little longer. I'm might have to do another tranny fluid flush (pan drop). What's the "average" cost for timing belt replacement for RX300?

Thanks guys!
It's your money Miss Cebu, you spend it any way you want but in all the time I have been on the forums I have never yet seen anyone report that their timing belt looked anything less than perfect at 90k. I changed the belt in my DIL's RX at 97k and if I had known that it would look like it did (perfect) I would never have changed it. If it makes you sleep better at night, change it. But don't change it because it's worn out because I can virtually guarantee it won't be for a long, long time. People have reported getting them changed for anywhere from $350. to $1200., one very low and one extremely high. Fair price should be $450- $600.
Old 02-03-09, 12:51 PM
miss_cebu
Driver School Candidate

code58....
okay..that's good news for me. I will wait for the timing belt change.
Thanks!
Old 01-15-17, 11:12 PM
BigJoe105
Driver School Candidate

Default Drag on Deceleration Solved

I bought a 1999 RX300 for my girlfriend and a few days later the engine light came on. Soon after that I noticed that the drag on deceleration started. She was getting only 10 MPG at the most. I took it out on the expressway and noticed that the OD was not engaging and the drag was even worse at higher speeds. I pulled the codes out and found that the O2 sensor was bad Bank 1 Sensor 2. I replaced the O2 sensor and still had the same problem. I checked some other posts and found that in the RX300 if the O2 sensor, Knock Sensor, A/F sensor, MAF sensor or even a bad gas cap throw a code, the ECM will disable the OD. In my case it disabled the OD and caused the drag. Even though I cleared out the code the OD was still disabled. In the other posts there was mention of resetting the ECM by pulling the fuse or disconnecting the batter for 30 minutes. I pulled the fuse for 30 minutes and when I took it out for a test drive the engine ran smoother and the OD was working again. Also the drag disappeared completely. I took it out on the expressway and she ran like a champ. The gas mileage is back up to 18 to 22 mpg.
In a nutshell..... If you have the drag problem make sure your not getting any codes even if the light is out. Fix what needs to be fixed and reset the ECM by pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery.
Old 01-16-17, 04:30 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome to the club BigJoe and thanks for the tip.
Old 01-16-17, 09:29 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe105
I bought a 1999 RX300 for my girlfriend and a few days later the engine light came on. Soon after that I noticed that the drag on deceleration started. She was getting only 10 MPG at the most. I took it out on the expressway and noticed that the OD was not engaging and the drag was even worse at higher speeds. I pulled the codes out and found that the O2 sensor was bad Bank 1 Sensor 2. I replaced the O2 sensor and still had the same problem. I checked some other posts and found that in the RX300 if the O2 sensor, Knock Sensor, A/F sensor, MAF sensor or even a bad gas cap throw a code, the ECM will disable the OD. In my case it disabled the OD and caused the drag. Even though I cleared out the code the OD was still disabled. In the other posts there was mention of resetting the ECM by pulling the fuse or disconnecting the batter for 30 minutes. I pulled the fuse for 30 minutes and when I took it out for a test drive the engine ran smoother and the OD was working again. Also the drag disappeared completely. I took it out on the expressway and she ran like a champ. The gas mileage is back up to 18 to 22 mpg.
In a nutshell..... If you have the drag problem make sure your not getting any codes even if the light is out. Fix what needs to be fixed and reset the ECM by pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery.
Welcome to Club Lexus.
Please read through there sticky threads.
Hope you will stay and enrich this form.

Salim
Old 01-16-17, 04:13 PM
BigJoe105
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Welcome to Club Lexus.
Please read through there sticky threads.
Hope you will stay and enrich this form.

Salim
Thanks Guys..... I was a Toyota certified technician many years ago and I know that they can be a little tricky with the ECM's. Lexus owners would bring their cars to the Toyota dealership because they knew that Lexus uses the same parts. The thing that took me by surprise was that the newer ECM's would lock out the OD on the transmission. I have no idea why they would do that, but can you imagine how many people thought their transmissions were going out and got scammed by dishonest mechanics? Now the only thing I have to do is get a cheap key with a remote fob.
Old 01-17-17, 06:07 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I know the focus of this thread is engine related but dont forget you have 4 disc brakes on the rx which at this age will often be seized by rust. Before you stress about the powertrain, check your brakes. A very simple test any owner can do is this. Drive for 30 minutes. Stop in a safe location, get out and cautiously touch your hand to the center hub of each wheel. Compare the temps from one to another. You should be able to hold your hand on the wheel without discomfort from heat (should be cool to warm, not hot) then touch the caliper (not rotor) and compare temps all around. A seized caliper will be noticably hotter from drag. All four of my calipers were toast and caused a 4 mpg loss in fuel economy.
Old 01-05-22, 07:07 PM
Dan944km
Driver School Candidate

Default 2001 RX300 abrupt declaration.

For example, on the interstate @ 65 mph, if I let off the gas to slow down 2 or 3 mph, if feels like something has stopped up the air intake and/or the gas has totally been shut off. The car has never acted like this before. It has 200k miles. it's always decelerated normally, very smooth. and unnoticeable. As soon as you add the gas back everything is back to normal. Let's be clear, this is not something that Lexus has purposely designed to slow the car down like I've read in other posts. IE if This was the case, no one would buy this car. It is an abrupt feel. You can even here the.negitive torque "pop" in the drive train when it first happens. Are you ready for this one; I took it in to the Lexus dealer to get the opinion; they said I needed the timing gears replaced that their is too much slack or play in the gears and it's throwing off the ECU. First off all I believe these gears drive a gear belt so how could the gears Ware out! And they wanted $ $2750.00 to do this work. Ha that'll never happen! I laughed and walked out. It is my opinion this is a sensor issue? because it idles rough sometimes and you can smell gas fumes very strong ever now and then. And it seems it is burning gas like crazy. Oh yes, the engine light is on and sometimes at a stop it actually is flashing. (Not Good). Ok thanks for any help you can offer. Dan
Old 01-05-22, 09:50 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan944km
For example, on the interstate @ 65 mph, if I let off the gas to slow down 2 or 3 mph, if feels like something has stopped up the air intake and/or the gas has totally been shut off. The car has never acted like this before. It has 200k miles. it's always decelerated normally, very smooth. and unnoticeable. As soon as you add the gas back everything is back to normal. Let's be clear, this is not something that Lexus has purposely designed to slow the car down like I've read in other posts. IE if This was the case, no one would buy this car. It is an abrupt feel. You can even here the.negitive torque "pop" in the drive train when it first happens. Are you ready for this one; I took it in to the Lexus dealer to get the opinion; they said I needed the timing gears replaced that their is too much slack or play in the gears and it's throwing off the ECU. First off all I believe these gears drive a gear belt so how could the gears Ware out! And they wanted $ $2750.00 to do this work. Ha that'll never happen! I laughed and walked out. It is my opinion this is a sensor issue? because it idles rough sometimes and you can smell gas fumes very strong ever now and then. And it seems it is burning gas like crazy. Oh yes, the engine light is on and sometimes at a stop it actually is flashing. (Not Good). Ok thanks for any help you can offer. Dan
The flashing lights are telling you that all cylinders are not firing. You need to provide the error codes .. which can be read by any auto parts shop .. they will even suggest what part to get to fix it.

I cant speculate what the dealership suggested, but you can either try to fix it yourself or go to an independent mechanic.

One thing I will tell you that the flashing CEL means you should not be driving. Unburnt gas down the exhaust will clog up your catalytic convertor and those are expensive to replace.

Please check the milage and the recommended services that should have been done.[list based on miles/time is included in the service/warranty booklet].

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Dan944km (01-06-22)