ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003-182/)
-   -   Vibration at idle (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/28145-vibration-at-idle.html)

silver02RX300 12-06-01 07:55 PM

Vibration at idle

New owner here, just purchased an '02 RX300. Vehicle has 300 miles after a week and I am very satisfied.

The one question I have.. is it common for there to be a slight vibration when at idle in gear or in park? My car normally idles at about 500 RPMS and I can even feel the vibration in the steering wheel. Comments?:confused:

spinteews 12-08-01 12:05 PM

i dont seem to hear any rattles when i idel... go check it out with your dealer

welcome to the club tho =)

jamesquan 12-10-01 08:16 PM

I get vibrations too...dealer said it's the aircon kicking in.

Lil4X 12-10-01 10:31 PM

Engine Mount?

No problems here, with vibration or AC compressor start. I seem to remember Lexus' promotion of their "active" engine mount in the RX that used crankcase pressure to operate a pneumatic engine mount 180 degrees out of phase with engine vibration. This only operated at idle, specifically to cancel that tingling sensation at the wheel. Anyone else remember this?

RLand 12-13-01 07:38 AM

I also get a vibration while at idle in drive, it smooths out if I slip it into neutral. eems like like simple idle adjustment to me, but dealer claims cannot simply adjust idle without going into computer. Then says it has to do with drain on alternator- which didn't sound right to me. If its still doing it at next service I will raise the level of my complaint. Vibration is less without A/C or fan on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goncookoo 12-15-01 05:48 AM

I dunno how much weight can be given to my comments since I have a fairly old RX ('99), but ...

Problem:
I have also noticed some vibrations at idle. I cant really figure out what is going on. I always feel the vibrations in the morning so I thought it was due to my engine being cold or not warmed sufficiently. But on plenty of occassions where the car is definately warmed up I still get the vibrations.

Some tests:
On many occations after driving around for quite some time (hour or so). I make everyone in my car be still and quite to see if I can still feel it and hear it. Sure, enough I still feel the vibrations.

For further tests:
After long drives (2+ hours) my car will be so nice and quiet at idle that I think its not actually running (I don't think its my senses that's messed up from being on the road and feeling all the bumps and wind noises as compared to an idled situation at a rest stop). The strange part is that the "vibration test" is not consistent. By that I mean, sometimes I get the euphoric "car isnt on at idle" feeling, and sometimes I get the "my car sucks cause it vibrates on idle" feeling after these long drives.

SO, I decided to go to my parents and test their new X5 (thinking it was just that my car was 2 years older). Well to my dismay, I found that at idle, the car too vibrates. It isnt until i put it into neutral (same as the RX) that it stops vibrating.

Conclusion... I gave up ... Im just going to hope for more long trips and quieter idle momets.

goncookoo