Notices
RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles on your RX 300???

 
Old 02-10-19, 05:00 AM
  #226  
Mobob
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 RX300 lasted 283,196 miles

I am the original owner of the 2001 RX300. The car had 283,196 happy miles before it recently got into an accident and was totaled. Someone ran a red light and hit the RX on the side. The good news is no one got hurt. Before the accident, the car runs great and I think it can easily get into 300k miles.

The RX300 was on the third timing belts, original engine, original transmission. No engine sludge issue. Change transmission fluid every 30k miles. Change oil every 5k miles. The car was well built and last forever.

There are issues with this car: window switch not working properly, one door lock not working, back door hard to open, antenna not going down during winter. Considering this is an 18 years old car, these issues are minor.

Sad had to see this sweet ride goes. But itís time to move on. I just got a brand new 2019 RX450h. Love the new ride! Hope this baby can last even longer than my 2001 RX300.
Mobob is offline  
Old 02-21-19, 08:34 AM
  #227  
famleman
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: California
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 awd 198,500

Just redid front struts and rack n pinion within last 8 months. Now tranny issues. Anyone know where the fuses for the transmission are? Or the relays, I can't find anything to do with transmission. Thanks
famleman is offline  
Old 03-07-19, 08:14 AM
  #228  
barbaro1
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

My 2003 RX-300 just hit 192,000 miles.
barbaro1 is offline  
Old 03-07-19, 02:55 PM
  #229  
JAB
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 899
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

About 260K on the 1999 and about 130K on the 2003.
JAB is offline  
Old 03-07-19, 05:40 PM
  #230  
jonas's RX
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: California
Posts: 704
Likes: 0
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

I guess my 01 RX300 with 61K will last another 20 years

still love the design snd although it doesnít have all the amenities
of the 19 RX, I think the first generation will go down as one of
the iconic models from Lexus golden era
jonas's RX is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 02:59 PM
  #231  
N54Guy
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: CA
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Lexus rx300

New to forum. Iam picking up a used 2001 Rx300 from my cousin tomorrow for $1900.00. He is original owner. It has 333,125 on odometer. He got all service records from Newport Lexus. He did say he had 2 timing belt replaced. He is retired so no longer need the car and wasting space in his garage. Is that a good deal? Or should I pass. I figured neither I can use it for weekend errands run or maybe flip it for $2500.00...lol
would anyone in their right mind pay $2500.00 for such high mileage if I try to list it?
Curious to hear forum backlash.
N54Guy is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 06:38 AM
  #232  
TrueGS300
Lead Lap
 
TrueGS300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 511
Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by N54Guy View Post
New to forum. Iam picking up a used 2001 Rx300 from my cousin tomorrow for $1900.00. He is original owner. It has 333,125 on odometer. He got all service records from Newport Lexus. He did say he had 2 timing belt replaced. He is retired so no longer need the car and wasting space in his garage. Is that a good deal? Or should I pass. I figured neither I can use it for weekend errands run or maybe flip it for $2500.00...lol
would anyone in their right mind pay $2500.00 for such high mileage if I try to list it?
Curious to hear forum backlash.
I'd be mostly concerned about the transmission at that mileage if it's the original one. Make sure the fluid looks good and that it drives fine.
TrueGS300 is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 07:37 AM
  #233  
N54Guy
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: CA
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TrueGS300 View Post
I'd be mostly concerned about the transmission at that mileage if it's the original one. Make sure the fluid looks good and that it drives fine.
That is a very valid concern. I will ask him about the transmission repairs or check the fluid today when I see him. Thanks.
N54Guy is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 07:46 AM
  #234  
salimshah
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,350
Received 291 Likes on 282 Posts
Default

With transactions between family/friends you know the history, but if some thing does go wrong, one has to handle it properly or you may end up losing a dear association.

Salim
salimshah is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 08:39 AM
  #235  
sktn77a
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
sktn77a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 3,981
Likes: 0
Received 139 Likes on 130 Posts
Default

Hit 200,000 miles on our '99 (bought new by us in June 1999). It's been a generally reliable car Several issues that shouldn't have occurred in a Lexus but we'll pass on those. My main gripe is that the car just feels old - way past its sell-by date! Yes, it's 20 years old.and has lasted 200,000 miles, but its just not a pleasant car to drive any more. The car has been babied from new with the dealer-recommende (factory maintenance ++) service done religiously. Right now its worth around $1500 but needs struts all around, brakes all around, pretty much all other suspension and steering joints/bushings, engine mounts, all four axles/CV joints, etc, etc. Clearly way more than the car is worth.

It's a beater car now - used for hauling and transporting big stuff that I won't let near my LS. And I'll get the brakes done soon. But if anything major goes wrong in the future, it'll be time for that great wrecking yard in the sky!
sktn77a is offline  
Old 06-07-19, 08:57 PM
  #236  
maorsela
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I'm @ 162k on my 2002, been solid so far, only several electrical issues, driver door won't open with remote.

Had tires replaced last week and now experiencing jack-hammer noises when turning left, especially at high speeds (70+). I think it's the CV Axle.

Looking forward to the next 160k miles
maorsela is offline  
Old 06-13-19, 10:04 AM
  #237  
bobburns
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

283,000 miles so far- just replaced the original alternator, rebuilt tranny put in 30,000 miles ago
bobburns is offline  
Old 06-15-19, 01:32 PM
  #238  
wing0
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 213
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
Hit 200,000 miles on our '99 (bought new by us in June 1999). It's been a generally reliable car Several issues that shouldn't have occurred in a Lexus but we'll pass on those. My main gripe is that the car just feels old - way past its sell-by date! Yes, it's 20 years old.and has lasted 200,000 miles, but its just not a pleasant car to drive any more. The car has been babied from new with the dealer-recommende (factory maintenance ++) service done religiously. Right now its worth around $1500 but needs struts all around, brakes all around, pretty much all other suspension and steering joints/bushings, engine mounts, all four axles/CV joints, etc, etc. Clearly way more than the car is worth.

It's a beater car now - used for hauling and transporting big stuff that I won't let near my LS. And I'll get the brakes done soon. But if anything major goes wrong in the future, it'll be time for that great wrecking yard in the sky!
This is the same sort of issue on ours that's 18 yrs old and 270k km. Engine/Trans/Electrical are all good.
My father uses it to transport heavy stuff and now the suspension is riding harsh, the undercarriage is rusted thanks to winter salting.
Now, I just tried to get mechanic to do alignment due to bad tire wear and couldn't get the tie rod nuts to loosen even with torch. He wouldn't dare to touch the rear adjuster bolt as it might snap.

Just calculating quick struts, control arms/bushings, engine mounts, brakes(I can do that myself) and new tires.
It's like $2-4k of repairs which is pretty much its worth.

I am sad to leave it like this, but economically, it just doesn't feel worth putting more money.
Probably will just replace brakes and tires before retiring it.
wing0 is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 06:53 PM
  #239  
TenaClubz
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: WI
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by N54Guy View Post
New to forum. Iam picking up a used 2001 Rx300 from my cousin tomorrow for $1900.00. He is original owner. It has 333,125 on odometer. He got all service records from Newport Lexus. He did say he had 2 timing belt replaced. He is retired so no longer need the car and wasting space in his garage. Is that a good deal? Or should I pass. I figured neither I can use it for weekend errands run or maybe flip it for $2500.00...lol
would anyone in their right mind pay $2500.00 for such high mileage if I try to list it?
Curious to hear forum backlash.

I'd give you a strong pass. There is nothing absolutely NOTHING left in that car except a big sucking sound pointed at your wallet. I don't care how many dam service records he has or if he's your honey-uncle. it's a worn out car! Hey it's your cash but if your into sending money to strange people, (dealership, Parts stores). just send me the cash until you realize it was all a big mistake.
TenaClubz is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Drcoffee (07-13-19)
Old 07-13-19, 07:28 AM
  #240  
Drcoffee
Pole Position
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 371
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by famleman View Post
Just redid front struts and rack n pinion within last 8 months. Now tranny issues. Anyone know where the fuses for the transmission are? Or the relays, I can't find anything to do with transmission. Thanks
Are there any fuses for the transmission? Its controlled by the ECU. What are you trying to do that you think fuses are the issue?
Drcoffee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many miles on your RX 300???


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: