RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Photo DIY 3: RX300 Power Steering Fluid Flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-15, 09:13 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasRX300
I also use one of those cheap battery testers. You know the ones, cost like 99 cents, real small tube with the little ***** that was made to use once to test the acid strenght in the battery.
Takes more time using it because it has a small reservor but works.
How the heck do u use a battery tester for that? I cant quite picture what you are referring to Vegas.
Old 05-24-15, 11:57 AM
VegasRX300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matts6887
How the heck do u use a battery tester for that? I cant quite picture what you are referring to Vegas.
Was a antifreeze tester I was thinking of. My bad. looks like a small turkey baster with a small rubber tube. Autozone has them for $2.99 Peak makes them..part # PKFOAB

Last edited by VegasRX300; 05-24-15 at 12:31 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 05-24-15, 11:59 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

one can use many things, something to suck the fluid out.

Turkey baster
Hydrometer (google it)
Infant's nose and mouth cleaner.
Maurine ear wax removal aid/ irrigation device.
pipette
Straw (just kidding)

Matt since you are highly curious person, please invest in
READERS DIGEST COMPLETE CAR CARE MANUAL .. It is an old book but it will answer most of the questions for you. This little investment will go a long way.

Salim
Old 05-25-15, 09:17 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by salimshah
one can use many things, something to suck the fluid out.

Turkey baster
Hydrometer (google it)
Infant's nose and mouth cleaner.
Maurine ear wax removal aid/ irrigation device.
pipette
Straw (just kidding)

Matt since you are highly curious person, please invest in
READERS DIGEST COMPLETE CAR CARE MANUAL .. It is an old book but it will answer most of the questions for you. This little investment will go a long way.

Salim
Well; I dont feel that is necessary since this forum(s) is here. One way or the other i will figure out a way.
Old 05-25-15, 09:19 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by VegasRX300
Was a antifreeze tester I was thinking of. My bad. looks like a small turkey baster with a small rubber tube. Autozone has them for $2.99 Peak makes them..part # PKFOAB
oh ok vegas. I will have to look into getting one. Sounds like that may be a better way to go then the turkey baster because I think i can picture what those look like and if memory serves correct its got like a long tube or something attached to it.
Old 05-25-15, 10:17 AM
VegasRX300
Rookie

oh ok vegas. I will have to look into getting one. Sounds like that may be a better way to go then the turkey baster because I think i can picture what those look like and if memory serves correct its got like a long tube or something attached to it.
Matt, just Google: Hydrometer

It will show pictures. Shows both the battery acid and the antifreeze ones. They look the same but the battery acid ones cost more.

Or go to Autozone's web site and put in PKFOAB in their search, this will also show you a picture of the $2.99 one.

Last edited by VegasRX300; 05-25-15 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-25-15, 12:33 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Well; I dont feel that is necessary since this forum(s) is here. One way or the other i will figure out a way.

Quest of knowledge vs counting on others to help.

You can count on us here CL.

Salim
Old 05-26-15, 09:21 AM
matts6887
Racer

Well to do this the right way I went and picked up a hand operated siphon pump and Im gonna use that to siphon it the right way since it appears the turkey basters were a waste of time and money as they couldnt get down into the reservoir all the way.
Old 06-19-15, 10:22 PM
g5873241
Driver School Candidate

Well to do this the right way I went and picked up a hand operated siphon pump and Im gonna use that to siphon it the right way since it appears the turkey basters were a waste of time and money as they couldnt get down into the reservoir all the way.
-Dollar tree turkey baster.
-Duct tape
-piece of 3/8" plastic tubing

Align the 3/8" tubing with the baster. Wrap a piece of duct tape around the joint.

Works very well, gets down into all openings.

Cheap, effective, easy.
Old 06-23-15, 08:41 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by g5873241
-Dollar tree turkey baster.
-Duct tape
-piece of 3/8" plastic tubing

Align the 3/8" tubing with the baster. Wrap a piece of duct tape around the joint.

Works very well, gets down into all openings.

Cheap, effective, easy.
No worries here!; Ive already done it a few weeks ago. I siphoned out as much of the old dark fluid as i could get out(even though there was still a little left in the reservoir) and then i just put in fresh dexron(I think thats what its called) fluid which apparently is the same thing as trans fluid.
Old 04-04-16, 11:17 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

it's strange to me how salim had leaks develop on 2 vehicles switching to synthetic while no one else here has reported of it. if a leak results immediately after a change, is it safe to say changing back will fix the issue in the moment? are there any updates on fluid recommendations since OP's post a decade ago? i don't think valvoline even makes synthetic anymore, though they do have a maxlife version of their mineral now apparently with some stop leak additives.
Old 04-05-16, 02:56 AM
g5873241
Driver School Candidate

Default Interesting concept.

Originally Posted by hsmac
it's strange to me how salim had leaks develop on 2 vehicles switching to synthetic while no one else here has reported of it. if a leak results immediately after a change, is it safe to say changing back will fix the issue in the moment? are there any updates on fluid recommendations since OP's post a decade ago? i don't think valvoline even makes synthetic anymore, though they do have a maxlife version of their mineral now apparently with some stop leak additives.
Never crossed my mind to use anything but what the manual called out for PS or brake fluid.
Just pondering it some, I'd not switch out since some systems are more likely to be sensitive than others, especially on older cars.

I do run full-synthetic motor oil not matter the vehicle. The only bad experience I've ever had was on my son's 2007 LS, which apparently is, uh, toleranced to consume an alarming amount of oil...which is horse manure.
Old 04-05-16, 06:17 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmac
I've had Mobile 1 PS Fluid in both my RX's and my ES for a couple of years now with no leaks.
Old 04-07-16, 07:55 AM
matts6887
Racer

When I changed my p/s fluid out last fall I think it was; I just got some dexron(I think thats what its called?) stuff thats compatible with lexus vehicles; and after several months of driving; so far so good; no p/s leaks
Old 04-12-16, 01:55 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

anyone know if regular valvoline power steering (white bottle) is ok? i looked at the bottle in the shop and it doesn't seem to indicate what type it is. it doesn't mention toyota anywhere but i think other people have used it in theirs. valvoline does have a maxlife version with stop leak (red bottle) recommended for toyota, but i may choose the former. sounds like most people here use mobil synthetic but i'm a bit wary due to potential leaking. also any issues with leaking for anyone? high mileage vehicles? i don't want to introduce stop leak into the system if unnecessary.

Quick Reply: Photo DIY 3: RX300 Power Steering Fluid Flush