RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aux In for RX300

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 01:59 PM
tomv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do wish to splice into the wires coming from the head unit, you'll need to remove the trim.. There are 8 clips.. 4 on each side and circled in the picture.. I found it easiest to start from the top between the trim and vent.
Attached Thumbnails Aux In for RX300-picture-056-medium-circled.jpg  

Last edited by tomv; 05-09-06 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-09-06, 02:01 PM
tomv
Driver

Once you remove that, there are 4 bolts to remove from the radio.
The connector that has the wires to be spliced is circled in the picture
Attached Thumbnails Aux In for RX300-picture-047-medium-circled.jpg  

Last edited by tomv; 05-09-06 at 02:04 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 05-09-06, 02:27 PM
skippy911
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats great now I can put my mini in the changer spot I pmed you my telephone numbers.
Old 05-09-06, 06:37 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by tomv
If you switch to something that isn't the CD, it will have the sounds or that source AND the iPod (or whatever you use)

IE: when in FM mode, I hear the FM radio AND the iPod. The antenna pops up since the radio is still working and you will here the radio.
Tape mode only works if the cassette is in.

I tried without the changer and it will not work without it.. I believe it is sensing its presence via the TX+ and - wires. Leaving it in buys me the option to pop in a CD if a friend happens to bring one and want to listen to it.

I bought the relay and socket at Frys (there's one in Atlanta and I didn't want to wait for shipping)

Radio shack doesn't carry the relay or socket.

Read through Squarebacks post.. He hyperlinks to the parts online.. It's cheaper..even with shipping, but going to Frys gave me an excuse to check out the store.

You could make the mod use the switch like on the IS so you'd hear the iPod in any mode and then you could remove the changer. Remove the radio and splice into the wires coming from the head unit.. those wires are
6 L- Black
2 L+ Yellow
5 R- Blue
1 R+ Red

This is done like this on the IS since the changer is built-in and we don't really have another option.
tomv is right, the serial communication link using TX lines wants to see the cd at the far end. I have learnt not to argue with success, but am still perplexed as to why signal mixing happens ... unless the wires being patched into are not exclusively from CD. If it works it WORKS.

tomv, what setting of volume do you use to approximately match signal levels. I assume you are using headphone out and NOT using pre-out out of the ipod/Belkin.

Salim
Old 05-09-06, 08:00 PM
tomv
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
tomv, what setting of volume do you use to approximately match signal levels. I assume you are using headphone out and NOT using pre-out out of the ipod/Belkin.

Salim
I am using the pre-out of the Belkin Auto Kit.. It does provide a line out but adds a small amp which allows you to match the volume. I actually have the volume on the wheel turned all the way up. It's a tad louder than the radio volume but it doesn't introduce any noise at all.
Old 05-10-06, 08:37 PM
skippy911
Driver

We'll we did my rx300 tonight. We patched into the back of the radio right next to the harness. We did it this way so I could remove my cd changer and put a mac mini in its place. Here is the picture of what Tom and I did this eve:

Thanks a million for your help Tom.
Old 05-10-06, 11:32 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by skippy911
We'll we did my rx300 tonight. We patched into the back of the radio right next to the harness. We did it this way so I could remove my cd changer and put a mac mini in its place. Here is the picture of what Tom and I did this eve:

Thanks a million for your help Tom.
When you say :remove: , that means TX line amd return is now discpnnected from hu to cd. What do you set your radio buttons to CD?

Salim
Old 05-11-06, 07:08 AM
tomv
Driver

When you say :remove: , that means TX line amd return is now discpnnected from hu to cd. What do you set your radio buttons to CD?

Salim
Since the changer is gone, the radio doesn't switch to CD.
To hear the iPod or whatever is input, you flick the switch. In this scenario, you only here what the switch is switched to.. FM/AM/Tape OR Aux (iPod).

This functions exactly like in the IS300 mod.

In this case, if he wants to listen to a CD, he'll be able to use his Mac Mini.
Old 05-11-06, 07:16 AM
tomv
Driver

In the picture above, we ended up flipping the relay and socket so it goes under the radio. If you plan to do the mod this way, make sure you leave enough wire so everything can go under the radio or you'll end up having to redo the connection.
Old 05-12-06, 12:53 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Why RCA plug jacks, rather than a mini-plug jack?
Old 05-12-06, 01:00 PM
skippy911
Driver

Originally Posted by mmahamm
Why RCA plug jacks, rather than a mini-plug jack?
I may change it into a mini plug jack. We just put the rca's on there to make it easy to use many different types of connections.
Old 05-12-06, 01:11 PM
salimshah

Guys may have their own reason but ....

There are industry standards ... RCA are pre-amp out/in 1 v-peak into 34Kohms or something.
Phono plugs are standard to drive headphones (typ load 8ohms).

When industry went for miniturazation, the RCA type plugs have become problamatic. For line out, phono plugs are ok but for pre-outs ???

I have not played with Belkin but SIK provides phono plug for pre-amp-out from ipod-nano. Since Belkin provides amplified singal (through volume control), I am not sure how they provide pre-amp out. Two phono jacks? RCAs are too big. May be some one can explain.

In any case, RCA jacks are closer to industry standard (lets see for how long?)

Salim
Old 05-12-06, 01:34 PM
tomv
Driver

IBelkin provides amplified singal (through volume control), I am not sure how they provide pre-amp out. Two phono jacks? RCAs are too big. May be some one can explain.
Salim
The Belkin has a miniplug jack just like the Sik.
Attached Thumbnails Aux In for RX300-belkinautokit.jpg  
Old 05-12-06, 10:38 PM
salimshah

I see the jack-hole and volume adjust dial. Is there a switch to bypass the built-in amp.

SIK has no volume control and the build quality is sub-par [IMHO].

Salim
Old 05-13-06, 06:32 AM
tomv
Driver

I used the Sik for a few month with the cassette adapter before doing this mod and I never had any issues.
There is no switch for bypassing the amp in the Belkin, but there are instructions on bypassing the amp. You can google for them or search the forums on ipodlounge.com
With the amp on the highest settings, I don't notice any introduction of added noise.

Quick Reply: Aux In for RX300