RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New Owner/ Canada Dealership Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 04:26 PM
youngwatts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Owner/ Canada Dealership Question

I'm 20 from Toronto, Canada and after months of researching (and browsing through posts on this site) just bought my first lexus/car, a 1999 RX300 AWD with 135, 000 kms. When I was shopping around for the right one I got a chance to look at about 10 of them, '99s - '01s and between all of them, I decided on the one I bought as it was in the best condition, had the premium package, 1 owner, came from a trade in at lexus and had full service records. The first owner had serviced at Lexus of Oakville and I'm wondering if I should continue doing the same, or should I go elsewhere? From what I've seen in this forum, prices for service can vary from one dealership to another and I definitely don't want to pay more then I have to but more importantly I want to make sure anything done to the vehicle is done right. The next scheduled service is in 500km and I'm not sure what is to be done but If anyone knows of any dealerships in Southern Ontario worth dealing with or avoiding please let me know, thanks
Old 03-01-06, 04:39 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in north Toronto, Maple to be specific.

A brand new Toyota dealership just opened here and thats where I had my transfer case and rear differencial fluids done.

I'm planning on going back for the timing belt and sparkplugs.

BTW the price for the transfercase fluid and rear differencial was $98CAD all inclusive. I'm sure Lexus would have charged $170+ for the same thing.

The dealership here in Maple even called the Lexus dealership in Oakville (for the fluid specs to be certain) as its owned by the same dealer.

Long story short. Vehicle has similar service requirements of a 2001 Toyota Highlander and therefore you can get away with Toyota service prices, rather than Lexus.

I started by going to Ken Shaw Lexus, but after $78 for an oil change with Petro Canada oil and no car wash, I decided to start doing the oil changes myself with Toyota filter and Synthetic oil for less than 1/2 of Lexus price.

Welcome to the Lexus family and check the Library on this site for more details, ie: recalls and service bulletins on your specific vehicle.

Cheers,
Fern
Old 03-01-06, 05:57 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fern
I'm in north Toronto, Maple to be specific.

A brand new Toyota dealership just opened here and thats where I had my transfer case and rear differencial fluids done.

I'm planning on going back for the timing belt and sparkplugs.

BTW the price for the transfercase fluid and rear differencial was $98CAD all inclusive. I'm sure Lexus would have charged $170+ for the same thing.

The dealership here in Maple even called the Lexus dealership in Oakville (for the fluid specs to be certain) as its owned by the same dealer.

Long story short. Vehicle has similar service requirements of a 2001 Toyota Highlander and therefore you can get away with Toyota service prices, rather than Lexus.

I started by going to Ken Shaw Lexus, but after $78 for an oil change with Petro Canada oil and no car wash, I decided to start doing the oil changes myself with Toyota filter and Synthetic oil for less than 1/2 of Lexus price.

Welcome to the Lexus family and check the Library on this site for more details, ie: recalls and service bulletins on your specific vehicle.

Cheers,
Fern
Fern, I am from the SC430 forum and was cruising some of these other forums when I noticed you are in Maple, well so am I. Where abouts in Maple are you?
Old 03-02-06, 07:20 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by camillian
Fern, I am from the SC430 forum and was cruising some of these other forums when I noticed you are in Maple, well so am I. Where abouts in Maple are you?
Hey Mario,

you also in Maple, we'll have to hookup to have that sc430 run against my 540i (just kidding)

I'm south of Major Mac and east of Melville (walking distance from Fortinos)

Where you at?
Old 03-02-06, 07:36 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fern
Hey Mario,

you also in Maple, we'll have to hookup to have that sc430 run against my 540i (just kidding)

I'm south of Major Mac and east of Melville (walking distance from Fortinos)

Where you at?
Hey Fern I am north of Major Mac and east of Melville(walking distance to Longos) Ha Ha!

and I don't think I want to run against a 540. Nice ride
Old 03-03-06, 09:40 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My RX300 (2001) was purchased from a Lexus dealer as 3 year old vehicle, my first service with Lexus was oil/filter costing around $100, and they gave me quote for rear braked pads $200+.
I took it to Richmond Hill Toyota and they changed the brakes for almost half the price and the oil/filter "express lube" is around $35.
In case you are interested I'm from Richmond Hill, north of Major Mac and walking distance from Dominion.
Old 03-03-06, 01:34 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Never mind the dealerships.We should start a poll and see which is better Dominion,Fortinos or Longos. Ha Ha!
Originally Posted by rx300mm
My RX300 (2001) was purchased from a Lexus dealer as 3 year old vehicle, my first service with Lexus was oil/filter costing around $100, and they gave me quote for rear braked pads $200+.
I took it to Richmond Hill Toyota and they changed the brakes for almost half the price and the oil/filter "express lube" is around $35.
In case you are interested I'm from Richmond Hill, north of Major Mac and walking distance from Dominion.
Old 03-05-06, 04:55 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Hey all,

I'm in the North York area and get the vehicle serviced at either Don Valley North Toyota/Lexus or Dixie Toyota ('sauga). I usually take it to Toyota for fluids and anything major Lexus will do it. Either dealershp is fine I believe since the rx300 has a lot of commonality with Toyota products.

Oh and I'm near a Food Basics!!!
Old 03-05-06, 10:00 PM
youngwatts
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info everyone
Old 03-05-06, 11:09 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

For those in the Vancouver Lower Mainland, which dealer would you recommend?
Old 03-06-06, 09:40 PM
Purdy99
Driver School Candidate

In Vancouver, the dealership with the lowest prices by far is Regency on Burrard. Open Road (both the Richmond and Port Moody one) charge upwards of 50% more for the regular services.

On top of that, Richmond Lexus is the biggest rip-off dealership in the city. And yes, I bought my vehicle there, but I will NEVER go back for service. (Long story....all I can say is that they refused to fix several things still under warrantee that Regency did without hesitation.)

I've never tried taking my 99 to a Toyota dealer, but am thinking about it as I have to get new rotors front and rear. Regency quoted around $1K. Anyone with suggestions on where I could get this done cheaper?
Old 03-07-06, 06:14 AM
CarNutTO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 5 years of servicing my '01 RX300 exclusively at Ken Shaw, I made the HUGE mistake of going to Mr Lube at Spadina/St.Clair for a quick oil change.

While doing the oil change, the tech at Mr Lube tells me that the transmission oil pan is leaking and tries to sell me a new $120 gasket. I tell him that its covered under warranty, so no need. I leave Mr Lube and after about 5 minutes of driving, notice plumes of white smoke coming out the back of the car, so I go back to Mr. Lube.

I'm told that they did NOTHING that could have caused white smoke, and that if I go to a doctor for a check up, and have a heart attack the next day, would it be the doctor's fault? I ask them to check the car, which they agree to do. They drain out all the new oil and do ANOTHER oil change.

The next morning, I take the car to Ken Shaw to have the transmission oil pan looked at. The service advisor calls me into the shop to look at the car from underneath.

Instead of removing the old oil filter from below, the Mr Lube tech must have pulled it out from above, dropped it, and splashed used oil all over the underside of the engine, bumper cover, and chassis. This of course, explains the white smoke and the oil on the underside of the transmission oil pan.

Once again, back to Mr Lube, who now agree that yes, something must have happened. They agree to pressure wash the underside of the car (while I watch to make sure that they don't damage anything more), and tell me to take the car to a car wash and they will reimburse me for the cost of the car wash.

Of course, I ask for my money back for the oil change, and all they offer me is a 30% discount on my NEXT oil change. I'm now trying to get someone at head office to deal with this, but since they are all franchises, head office doesn't seem to care (it's been over 3 weeks, with about 5 calls, and not one return phone call).

Moral of the story is even if you have to pay the $90 for a Lexus dealer to change the oil, do so!

BTW, I live in the Annex, walking distance to almost ANYTHING!!
Old 03-07-06, 11:11 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

The only car I take to Mr Lube is my 2006 Pontiac G6 company car.

If they f---- it up, then the fleet maintenance company can deal with them.

ie: when they forgot to tighten the oil filter and oil leaked on my driveway.
Company paid to repave my driveway and somehow recovered cost from Mr. Lube.

I was either going to get re-embursed from fleet company or putting in a pollution claim with the liability insurers of the vehicle.

He he! At the time it was my employer and they fought with lease company to deal with it, given the almost 300 cars they lease from them/month.

Moral of story,
Mr. Lube +kids working in a highly responsible environment= eventual problems

Last edited by Fern; 03-10-06 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-11-06, 08:41 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Purdy99
In Vancouver, the dealership with the lowest prices by far is Regency on Burrard. Open Road (both the Richmond and Port Moody one) charge upwards of 50% more for the regular services.

On top of that, Richmond Lexus is the biggest rip-off dealership in the city. And yes, I bought my vehicle there, but I will NEVER go back for service. (Long story....all I can say is that they refused to fix several things still under warrantee that Regency did without hesitation.)

I've never tried taking my 99 to a Toyota dealer, but am thinking about it as I have to get new rotors front and rear. Regency quoted around $1K. Anyone with suggestions on where I could get this done cheaper?
+1 Burrard

Purchased a Lexus at Burrard Lexus got a better trade in..