RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Sirius Radio Install RX300

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-06, 02:33 PM
jvmitche
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Radio Install RX300

Here's a couple pics of my Sirius radio install. This is the Starbase Universal FM Modulator model with a small head unit on the dash where the heated seat controls would normally reside (thank god I don't have that feature). Remember, there's also a SiriusConnect tuner located inside the dash as well, connected to the antenna that is roof mounted. It uses a direct connect into to antenna jack of the stereo to eliminate any fluctuations of signal. I'd love to go direct into the RX stereo, but it just wasn't going to happen without some major mods.

This was a professional install (done by a smaller shop, not Best Buy or anything) that only cost about $100 in labor and prevented me from spending a weekend cursing. So unfortunately, I don't have a ton of detailed installed photos. But for those of you wanting a smaller head unit that has a very stock look, consider this placement. I discussed internal antenna placement with the installers, but they advised against it -- however, I have friends who've done internal antennas with no problems. They did do an excellent job placing the antenna and routing the wire down the windshield groove (please excuse the February grime).

I ended up loving Satellite so much, I bought another unit and boombox to use anywhere. Good luck, once you go Satellite, you'll never go back.
Attached Thumbnails Sirius Radio Install RX300-sirius1.jpg  
Old 02-05-06, 02:34 PM
jvmitche
Driver School Candidate

one more picture
Attached Thumbnails Sirius Radio Install RX300-sirius2.jpg  
Old 02-05-06, 02:35 PM
jvmitche
Driver School Candidate

just one more....
Attached Thumbnails Sirius Radio Install RX300-sirius3.jpg  
Old 02-05-06, 05:28 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job. I just picked up a unit today and will be doing the install in a week or so. I see they ran the antenna wire down the windshield moulding. How and where does it enter the car?
Old 02-06-06, 08:51 AM
jomama11
Driver School Candidate

The antenna goes along the windshield groove at the top, then heads down along the side of the windshield. There's a little track along there that allows the wire to be very protected. It then enters the car at the bottom corner of the windshield and heads inside the dash.

Again, I had this professional done, so I don't know the gritty details. However, I could snap a pic of the entry point if you'd like.
Old 02-07-06, 03:54 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jomama11
The antenna goes along the windshield groove at the top, then heads down along the side of the windshield. There's a little track along there that allows the wire to be very protected. It then enters the car at the bottom corner of the windshield and heads inside the dash.

Again, I had this professional done, so I don't know the gritty details. However, I could snap a pic of the entry point if you'd like.
If it's not too much trouble a picture of the entry point may help with my install. Thanks
Old 02-11-06, 07:55 AM
jvmitche
Driver School Candidate

Here are the pics of the antenna wire. It goes down the side of the windshield, all tucked into the moulding (not sure if the installers added some). From there it heads under the hood (follow the red arrows) and ends up under the plastic cowling where it heads back inside the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails Sirius Radio Install RX300-route1.jpg  
Old 02-11-06, 07:56 AM
jvmitche
Driver School Candidate

one more shot under the plastic covering
Attached Thumbnails Sirius Radio Install RX300-route2.jpg  
Old 02-12-06, 09:58 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the pics.
Just a few more questions. When they ran the antenna wire along the top of the windshield did they use the groove between the windshield moulding and the car body? If they did I guess they used some adhesive to keep it in place. I don't think they tucked under the black windshield moulding up against the glass at this point. Going down the side it looks pretty much like it is under the moulding. At the bottom I am assuming it is under the plastic cover and your arrows are just indicating where it is hidden underneath. Where is the location of the last pic? I can't seem to match this up with a location on my car? Also I guess the wire enters the car under this plastic cover somewhere in that metal pan below the cover. I need to pull up my plastic cover to look for entry points in that pan. I have been hesitant to pull up the plastic cover because it is held in place by one of those plastic rivets at the far right side. I will have to push the center pin out of the plastic rivet to pull it up and usually you lose the pin down the hole when you do this.
Old 02-13-06, 09:20 AM
jomama11
Driver School Candidate

It's definitely in the groove along the top of windshield. It seems to be covered with some black rubber moulding, not sure but that could be after market. Yes, you are correct, the red arrows follow the length of wire downward. The final pic is taken at a much lower angle and it's aimed right at the area below the bottom red arrow. It seems the antenna wires goes to the point, then heads back in toward the dash. That's the lowest point I can see the cable before it heads in too deep.

I feel for your trepidation about tearing too much apart. That's why I paid the $100 to install it, I wasn't feeling like tearing apart the dash and the firewall area.