RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

99 RX300 Stereo problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-05, 09:02 AM
moogoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 RX300 Stereo problems

I have owned my 1999 RX300 for about 1 month now, and have about had it with the stereo. It will play GREAT for a period of time, but will "drop out" only being heard if I turn the volume WAY up.

I've searched the forums for options, but haven't found one that works for the RX300. What I want to do now it remove the stereo from the dash and check ALL the connections to it as well as the AMP. I need your help, though. My last Lexus was really easy to disassemble as long as I knew which parts to remove first. Hopefully, someone here knows how to do this.

I also need to find out where the AMP is. I may not need to go there, but I'd like to rule out ALL electrical connections first. I've checked the power antenna and there's no ground problem there. But if I hit a bump in the road, sometimes the sound will pop in & out, leading me to think there's a poor connection somewhere.

Thanks, guys!
Old 11-03-05, 09:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Is it all your speakers or just one (using fade/balance)? This happened on a Mercedes 190E and I found it was a connection that had gotten lose on the speakers over time.

Last edited by Lexmex; 11-03-05 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-03-05, 11:10 AM
SteveH
Driver School Candidate

I have a 99 RX300 also and the volumne never has been the greatest you really have to crank it up to get anything, from what I understand the amp is under the front passenger seat.
Old 11-04-05, 09:16 AM
moogoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SteveH
I have a 99 RX300 also and the volumne never has been the greatest you really have to crank it up to get anything, from what I understand the amp is under the front passenger seat.
Well, I noticed the subwoofer is under the front passenger seat, but none of those connections helped the issue. And it's ALL the speakers. I was hoping it was just one, but the entire system drops out.
Old 11-04-05, 01:24 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

As for the diagnosis, I would check the connections at the back of the radio and at the amp. The amp is located under the rear seat just ahead of the cargo area. It's easiest to access it if you take out the passenger side of the rear seat, but you can slide it all the way forward for access as well - just a little cramped.
Old 11-04-05, 01:45 PM
moogoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BurnishedGoldRX
As for the diagnosis, I would check the connections at the back of the radio and at the amp. The amp is located under the rear seat just ahead of the cargo area. It's easiest to access it if you take out the passenger side of the rear seat, but you can slide it all the way forward for access as well - just a little cramped.
I checked under the rear seats in the RX. There's nothing under them. I also looked forward of the cargo area - where the plywood hatch ends and the passenger area begins. I just don't see it. Help?

Last edited by moogoo; 11-04-05 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-04-05, 02:08 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Originally Posted by moogoo
I checked under the rear seats in the RX. There's nothing under them. I also looked forward of the cargo area - where the plywood hatch ends and the passenger area begins. I just don't see it. Help?
If memory serves, there's a metal cover that you have to take off to expose the location of the amp. It's mounted vertically in a small recessed area between the cargo area and where the floor begins to slope downwards for the passenger compartment.
Old 11-05-05, 03:21 PM
moogoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BurnishedGoldRX
If memory serves, there's a metal cover that you have to take off to expose the location of the amp. It's mounted vertically in a small recessed area between the cargo area and where the floor begins to slope downwards for the passenger compartment.
Thanks! You are a lifesaver. I appreciate your help and will let you know what I find. Also, I had reported a strange whistling sound above 60mph - it turned out to be the windshield weatherstripping along the top. One by one, I'm knocking out these little quirks...
Old 01-19-11, 07:36 AM
CubFan22
Driver School Candidate

Did you find the amp?

I am about to try and find mine also. I have power to my radio but no sound all of the sudden. I have no experience troubleshotting car audio. What tools and wiring diagrams would I need to DIY. I do not trust many mechanics down here in the caribbean. They tend to tear alot of things up due to lack of proper tools etc.
Old 01-19-11, 07:56 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

This thread has some pictures
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...he-amp-at.html