RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Best Brake Pads for RX300

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 11:47 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vinster29
Has anyone had any experience with Raybestos QuietStop pads, Bendix CT-3 brake pads or NAPA Ceramic pads? Would it be better to just buy Akebono pads from my local auto store and just get my local repair shop to install them? Any help would be appreciated. thanks
I installed brake rotor, pads, and calipers from 2nd generation Legend on my Acura TL and it is not hard. But if you don't have the tools and experience, just find a good shop from www.tirerack.com's approved lists. That is how I found mine (based on tirerack's customer feedback on approved shops) to work on my RX300 since I didn't have the tool to loosen RX's rusty rotors one year ago. On brake pads, unfortunately, tirerack only has feedback on Akebono, Hawk, and Satisfied Pro brake pad reviews posted by end users. Good luck...
Old 09-19-05, 12:05 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
I installed brake rotor, pads, and calipers from 2nd generation Legend on my Acura TL and it is not hard. But if you don't have the tools and experience, just find a good shop from www.tirerack.com's approved lists. That is how I found mine (based on tirerack's customer feedback on approved shops) to work on my RX300 since I didn't have the tool to loosen RX's rusty rotors one year ago. On brake pads, unfortunately, tirerack only has feedback on Akebono, Hawk, and Satisfied Pro brake pad reviews posted by end users. Good luck...
I had once looked at Bendix (actually tried their DOT 4 brake fluid once without success) and Raybestos but did not like the reviews and thus gave Hawk and EBC a try.
Old 09-19-05, 12:31 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had to replace my RX300's front brake pads this past June, they recommended ceramic. Because I was selling the car, I decided to go with a less expensive option, semi-metallics.

In 121,000 miles, I have never had the kind of brake dust problem I have now. It is really black in no time. I would highly recommend ceramics unless you are selling it, if for no other reason than for the sake of appearance.
Old 09-19-05, 12:36 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mmahamm
When I had to replace my RX300's front brake pads this past June, they recommended ceramic. Because I was selling the car, I decided to go with a less expensive option, semi-metallics.

In 121,000 miles, I have never had the kind of brake dust problem I have now. It is really black in no time. I would highly recommend ceramics unless you are selling it, if for no other reason than for the sake of appearance.
EBC Greenstuffs gave me a lot of dust. Thought it was just mud until I looked closer.
Old 09-19-05, 01:38 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexmex
EBC Greenstuffs gave me a lot of dust. Thought it was just mud until I looked closer.
The EBC Greenstuff I used for another car had very little dust unlike your experience. I've also used Carbotech Bobcat pads for another car (Sports car) and love them. Little dust, no squeel, easy on rotors, and better breaking performance. Carbotech also has their Panther plus pads but is made more for track so it is harsher on rotors, dust more, but stops increadible.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 09-19-05 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-19-05, 01:43 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
...I've also used Carbotech Boobcat pads for another car (Sports car) and love them...
Are they really called Boobcat pads? I might buy those just for the name...and perhaps for the packaging.
Old 09-19-05, 01:57 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmahamm
Are they really called Boobcat pads? I might buy those just for the name...and perhaps for the packaging.

Oops. One too many "o" They are Bobcats
Old 09-19-05, 02:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Lexmex,

Please check your private messages (I enabled) regarding your signature.
Old 09-23-05, 09:52 AM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got Bendix CT-3 brake pads

I got the Bendix CT-3 brake pads and they are definitely quieter than my old lexus pads. Stopping distance wise they are about average. I was wondering if I should have gotten a brake flush done at the same time that I had my brake pads replaced. I have not seen any brake dust from these pads but I'm sure it will happen eventually. Thanks for the help with the rear brake pads. I had them greased and now the noise is gone. Thank goodness. Anyway, thanks again for all of your help.

Last edited by vinster29; 09-23-05 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-23-05, 10:40 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vinster29
I got the Bendix CT-3 brake pads and they are definitely quieter than my old lexus pads. Stopping distance wise they are about average. I was wondering if I should have gotten a brake flush done at the same time that I had my brake pads replaced. I have not seen any brake dust from these pads but I'm sure it will happen everntually. Thanks for the help with the rear brake pads. I had them greased and now the noise is gone. Thank goodness. Anyway, thanks again for all of your help.
Good to see you are satisfied with your new ceramic pads. You should flush your brake fluid, many shops don't even bleed your brake line when servicing brakes to get rid of air introduced. Stoptech's link is good for you to decide which fluid. I bought ATE Superblue because someone analyzed and concluded it has the lowest $ to dry temperature ratio.
Old 08-28-17, 09:35 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Believe it or not, I put NAPA Premium pads (ceramic) and rotors on my RX a year ago and they have been great. Parts were about $200, labor $150 - front and rear. I look for the best deals around now on my '99 RX as I can't see spending $1200 at the dealership on a car that's only worth $2500.
Old 08-28-17, 11:22 AM
HewittTech
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the problem most of the time is people don't know what to ask for or expect for the price. If you don't know and go to the jiffyspress lube center most likely they are just going to put cheap jobber parts on there.
You can't really expect the OEM or premium results if you pay for the economy fix.

In my case the premium ceramics were great before i had my caliper seize and cook everything. I just need more than that now and whatever that hybrid pad was from Napa was did not suite my application and glazed my rotors. It is a daily driver but she red lines almost everyday. About a mile uphill to work on a really busy road and really heavy braking both ways at the top of the hill and especially at the bottom of the hill turn in. I also tow my boat with it and the down hill braking is important. Lexter is a performance modified RX...lol

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-28-17 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-03-17, 04:01 PM
lexrally
Rookie

At rock auto you can get Akebono pads / Centric rotors Front and Rear parts for less than $200. I am very satisfied with the performance of this combo so far. Very little dust, braking feels just right, and so far very little wear.
Old 09-05-17, 09:05 AM
HewittTech
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Those are probably going to be what most people are looking for, nice performance with minimal dust and wear. I would have given them a try when I did my calipers but I don't think they were on there at that point.
I could probably just swap out pads but I figure I will just save myself the time and disappointment if they still are not enough brake for my needs.

I ordered the EBC Stage 5 kit with the dimple slotted rotors and the Yellowstuff pads as well as stainless brake lines. Still waiting on the pads and lines to do the job though. Probably extreme for most people but I don't really care about brake dust, rotor wind noise (or to an extent wear) as long as I get the level of brakes I am looking for.
I might have to rice it up and paint my calipers now....lol

EBC Stage-5 RX300 Dimple Drilled and Slotted Rotors Part of the pad selection table on the rotor box.
Yellow Stuff = chew em up and spit out the dust.
Old 09-06-17, 12:46 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by HewittTech
In my case the premium ceramics were great before i had my caliper seize and cook everything.
Wow, what a co-incidence. About 9 months after I got my new NAPA pads and rotors one on my cylinders froze too - heated up everything real good! But fortunately, when they replaced the caliper and hose ($200), it was all A-OK. Still going strong 6 months later

Quick Reply: Best Brake Pads for RX300