RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Best Brake Pads for RX300

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-05, 06:55 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
thanks to everyone but it seems like you guys cant really agree. i plan on getting slotted cross drilled rotors front and back which are pretty expensive and i dont want to use any pad that would shorten its life prematurely
Unless you are racing your RX, those slotted cross-drilled rotors would actually lengthen your stopping distance (less surface to rub against) and reduce the life of your brake pads (faster wear.) The idea is to cool your brake faster in racing application.

If you just want the look, man, those cross-drilled rotors can't be beat.
Old 09-16-05, 07:08 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
ROFL!

Every once a while, somebody comes along as the authorative expert that puts everybody else's opinion down. For a brake pad to be good, it must have a fancy name with new material. Well, many Toyota/Lexus part depts. have displays comparing the OEM organic pads vs. aftermarket semi-metallic pads. Go take a look.
No one is claiming to be an expert, e.g. "bash it and convince the whole world it doesn't work" on Techron
I just post with links that I found for everyone to see and check. Whatever one put into his/her car is non of my business. If you have links that showed otherwise, please post so we can all learn.
Old 09-16-05, 09:16 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
That is because ceramic is new to US even though it is a better technology and have been used in Japanese Domestic Market for years. Acura also switched from semi-metallic to ceramic as OEM pads in 2001 for 2nd generation TL. Most people do not care nor know the difference but they know semi-metallic for years, by default semi-metallic is the choice even though many care came with ceramic pads after 2001-02.
Newer technology always needs adoption time, but no one is using organic or asbestos or organic pads for disc brakes anymore because these older technologies have severe drawbacks (health and not handling high temp well) and are replaced by newer technologies.
You can sense skeptic reaction from members of this forum even though I posted two online retailers that list Akebono is the OEM pads and they are ceramic. It is understandable but if you really want to find out what material is used by today's Lexus OEM pads, check out these links yourself. If in doubt, call Lexus parts and ask them what kind of pads they have for 05-06 cars.
thanks man and to everyone else
Old 09-17-05, 11:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

No one is claiming to be an expert, e.g. "bash it and convince the whole world it doesn't work" on Techron .
Hehe.

But to keep this on topic. I'm a big fan of OEM Toyota/Lexus pads. On my IS300 which has brake hardware shared with the Gen 2 GS 98-05, I'm still running the front OEM rotors and pads. My 2004 IS300 is now 2 years old today with over 67,500 miles. I do mostly freeway long distance driving on my work commute (100 miles a day roundtrip). Oddly enough, my rear brake pads already had to be replaced but my front pads have well over 50% of life to them. I still haven't figured that out (a friend of mine with an 04 Acura TSX who does the same type of mileage/commute has already had to replace the rear pads on her car...we'll leave this discussion to another thread) but it's true.

I've had several friends that tried the quick biting TRD "Street" pads on their IS300s which are a little more forgiving than the "Race" pads. They've complained that they're replacing the brake pads more often due to the harder composition of the pads...and there is alot more squealing. Another friend with slotted & cross drilled complained about the reduced stopping power, rotor warpage and accellerated wear of their brake pads. Needless to say the friend w/the x-drilled/slotted and upgraded pads switched back to the oem setup and will never turn back.

The only brake upgrade I would ever consider would be a larger big brake kit setup. These "upgraded" pads and slotted and or x-drilled rotors are really more for looks than actual performance and benefits.
Old 09-18-05, 02:03 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Hehe.

But to keep this on topic. I'm a big fan of OEM Toyota/Lexus pads. On my IS300 which has brake hardware shared with the Gen 2 GS 98-05, I'm still running the front OEM rotors and pads. My 2004 IS300 is now 2 years old today with over 67,500 miles. I do mostly freeway long distance driving on my work commute (100 miles a day roundtrip). Oddly enough, my rear brake pads already had to be replaced but my front pads have well over 50% of life to them. I still haven't figured that out (a friend of mine with an 04 Acura TSX who does the same type of mileage/commute has already had to replace the rear pads on her car...we'll leave this discussion to another thread) but it's true.

I've had several friends that tried the quick biting TRD "Street" pads on their IS300s which are a little more forgiving than the "Race" pads. They've complained that they're replacing the brake pads more often due to the harder composition of the pads...and there is alot more squealing. Another friend with slotted & cross drilled complained about the reduced stopping power, rotor warpage and accellerated wear of their brake pads. Needless to say the friend w/the x-drilled/slotted and upgraded pads switched back to the oem setup and will never turn back.

The only brake upgrade I would ever consider would be a larger big brake kit setup. These "upgraded" pads and slotted and or x-drilled rotors are really more for looks than actual performance and benefits.
Even with OEM pads there are issues. For example, RX300 front OEM replacement pads do not come with integrated wear indicator. You must use the old clip-on wear indicator if you decide to install OEM replacement pads. Certainly this is not a service friendly design (most likely designed by a supplier but approved by Lexus) There are also TSB on RX300's OEM pads to solve the clunking noise when RX is on "reverse". Just do a search on this forum, people either got free brake replacement or told by Lexus that clunking is "normal".
Lexus outsource part design just like everyone else, suppliers change. For example, RX300's oil filter that came with the car (made in Japan) is made by a different supplier than Lexus replacement oil filter (made in Thailand). A member posted a side by side picture of these two OEM filters that clearly showed the difference in design and quality. The more visible oursourced OEM part is tires, some RX come with Goodyear, others come with Bridgestone.
Everyone's experience is different with pads and rotors, it is best to research and find out facts and make a decision yourself.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 09-18-05 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-18-05, 02:09 PM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ceramic brake pads are the best

So the consensus is the ceramic brake pads are the way to go. I talked to my Toyota dealer and he said that Lexus still uses semi-metallic material for their OEM pads. I have had a lot of squealing and some brake dust with the lexus OEM pads so I think I'm going to try ceramic brake pads. The worst brake dust I have ever seen is on my brother's BMW. BMW pads have an awful amount of brake dust compared to Lexus brake pads!!!! Anyway thanks for the help guys. Oh by the way has anyone experienced a clunking noise from your brakes when they are applied at slow speeds. I posted this before and a lot of people said that I should get my brake system flushed and my brake fluid replaced. Does that sound right?
Old 09-18-05, 02:52 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

BMW prefers performance semi-metallic pads, that is why you see tons of black and even pinkish dusts covering their front wheels.
Bleeding your brake lines is a standard procedure whenever brake is serviced, I doubt it will solve any noise issue. You may try to get some high temperature grease to apply to the back of pads to dampen the noise. I don't know if will kill all the noise caused by pads improperly matched with calipers. Here are TSB discussion links on Lexus OEM pads' clunking noise. Someone mentioned Lexus has $42 grease to solve the OEM pad problem. BTW Akebono includes a pack of grease that is good for two brake installation with pads. I also never have any clunking noise with Akebono ceramic pads since they are installed one year ago.
OEM Brake Pads Clunking Noise
Lexus OEM Brake Pad TSB
If you never have your brake fluid changed (flushed), buy yourself a liter of ATE SuperBlue from ebay and ask your service mechanic to change it. It is the most cost effective upgrade and most neglected brake component IMO.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 09-18-05 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-18-05, 04:47 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You may try to get some high temperature grease to apply to the back of pads to dampen the noise. Someone mentioned Lexus has $42 grease to solve the OEM pad problem. BTW Akebono includes a pack of grease that is good for two brake installation with pads. I also never have any clunking noise with Akebono ceramic pads since they are installed one year ago.
[If you never have your brake fluid changed (flushed), buy yourself a liter of ATE SuperBlue from ebay and ask your service mechanic to change it. It is the most cost effective upgrade and most neglected brake component IMO.
My 2002 RX300 brakes make no noise at all. I have the original pads, so I don't have much to say about greasing. I did the brake pads many times on my previous car and I used a blue cream that hardened to a rubbery membrane on the rear of the brake pads.
Old 09-18-05, 08:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Tuned has it right when you should go with something other than the Toyota brake fluid.

I have tried a few different types and am still settled on Valvoline Powersyn. Much better performance from my OEM pads here in one of the worst places to drive in the world, Mexico City.
Old 09-18-05, 11:24 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Tuned has it right when you should go with something other than the Toyota brake fluid.

I have tried a few different types and am still settled on Valvoline Powersyn. Much better performance from my OEM pads here in one of the worst places to drive in the world, Mexico City.
Lexmex, you probably have the worse driving condition. Let us know what kind of brake fluid you experienced. BTW, do you use Amsoil synthetic ATF, I assume your tranny takes more beating as well?
Stoptech has a good link for brake fluid for reference. I find it useful because it lists dry boiling temperature in a table at the end of the page. Brake Fluid Comparision

Last edited by TunedRX300; 09-18-05 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-19-05, 01:53 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Even with OEM pads there are issues. For example, RX300 front OEM replacement pads do not come with integrated wear indicator. You must use the old clip-on wear indicator if you decide to install OEM replacement pads. Certainly this is not a service friendly design (most likely designed by a supplier but approved by Lexus) There are also TSB on RX300's OEM pads to solve the clunking noise when RX is on "reverse". Just do a search on this forum, people either got free brake replacement or told by Lexus that clunking is "normal".
Lexus outsource part design just like everyone else, suppliers change. For example, RX300's oil filter that came with the car (made in Japan) is made by a different supplier than Lexus replacement oil filter (made in Thailand). A member posted a side by side picture of these two OEM filters that clearly showed the difference in design and quality. The more visible oursourced OEM part is tires, some RX come with Goodyear, others come with Bridgestone.
Everyone's experience is different with pads and rotors, it is best to research and find out facts and make a decision yourself.
Thats why I order my parts through Carson Toyota. I specify the Japanese-spec/made parts when possible. Especially with the oil filters. At one point in time, Toyota USA used to only go with Toyota Japan issued oil filters then eventually switched to thailand. Despite the switchover, they are using the same process as filter media design is concerned. The way to tell the difference between the Denso Japan made/issued and Denso USA made filters are the cellophane pre-oiled gasket are not available on the Toyota USA filters. We all know that cutting cost meant outsourcing to local suppliers for filters. From my understanding the Toyota/Denso USA manufactured filters are made by Purolator. I've known this difference for a long time already.

For the brake pads, on the last 3 Toyotas i've owned and the current Lexus I have now, i've used nothing but Toyota OEM pads. True everyones experiences maybe different, but i've had the best luck with Toyota/Lexus OEM brake pads putting several thousand miles on each of the vehicles. I made the mistake of one time putting Raybestos (still a good brand) on my 95 Avalon, but squealed like no other, even after putting anti squeal on it. As for the annoying brake "clack" or thunk, that's been a design flaw since my 95 Avalon. It's apparent on my 99 Solara and I get that occassional clack with my 04 IS300. No TSIB will fix that unfortunately, only temporary.

FYI, 04-06 RX330 that are made at the Kyushu Japan Plant come mainly with Michelin & Goodyear. There's about a 50/50 mix as far distribution is concerned. This is about the same with the Cambridge Ontario made RX's as well.
Old 09-19-05, 04:37 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the wear indicators on the factory pads are removable. You either get new ones with the pads or reuse the old ones, not a big deal. I have done this a couple of times now and see no problem or service unfriendly design. If you are not doing your own brakes maybe it's your mechanics way of trying to squeeze a couple of extra bucks out of you.
I have used nothing but Lexus pads on both my RXs now and couldn't be happier.
Old 09-19-05, 07:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Lexmex, you probably have the worse driving condition. Let us know what kind of brake fluid you experienced. BTW, do you use Amsoil synthetic ATF, I assume your tranny takes more beating as well?
Stoptech has a good link for brake fluid for reference. I find it useful because it lists dry boiling temperature in a table at the end of the page. Brake Fluid Comparision

One thing you have to look at is how often the fluid gets contaminated. Usually, you have to listen to other people's experiences as there really is no chart.

On that chart of Brake Fluid Comparison,

I have used Castrol SRF (expensive) and Castrol LMA. Castrol LMA is an option given by the Toyota dealer that I sometimes use down here.

Only issues I had with the Castol fluids were contamination. SRF did work really well for a short period of time.

I then went back to Valvoline Powersyn and I change it every year. I also use their powersyn PSF fluid and no issues there.

Some Toyotas that sometimes show up a the track have asked me about the brake fluid as they claim Toyota fluid does not work even the Castrol LMA. However, we don't sell Valvoline or Castrol down here (except for LMA) and I had to import it.

What are people using at the track big time on a small budget, Ford Heavy Duty Brake Fluid.

Dry for that stuff is 550 and wet is 290 but costs only $6 a liter

I don't use Amsoil ATF...just Toyota Type IV. In fact, they don't sell any Amsoil down here (I even talked to Amsoil) and getting fluids through customs is a real pain. I usually have friends who drive down bring some in, as there are personal exemptions this way.

Would like to try Amsoil's motor oil.

Try WaterWetter from Redline in your coolant. Nology's coolant additive is not bad either.
Old 09-19-05, 09:00 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Thats why I order my parts through Carson Toyota. I specify the Japanese-spec/made parts when possible. Especially with the oil filters. At one point in time, Toyota USA used to only go with Toyota Japan issued oil filters then eventually switched to thailand. Despite the switchover, they are using the same process as filter media design is concerned. The way to tell the difference between the Denso Japan made/issued and Denso USA made filters are the cellophane pre-oiled gasket are not available on the Toyota USA filters. We all know that cutting cost meant outsourcing to local suppliers for filters. From my understanding the Toyota/Denso USA manufactured filters are made by Purolator. I've known this difference for a long time already.

For the brake pads, on the last 3 Toyotas i've owned and the current Lexus I have now, i've used nothing but Toyota OEM pads. True everyones experiences maybe different, but i've had the best luck with Toyota/Lexus OEM brake pads putting several thousand miles on each of the vehicles. I made the mistake of one time putting Raybestos (still a good brand) on my 95 Avalon, but squealed like no other, even after putting anti squeal on it. As for the annoying brake "clack" or thunk, that's been a design flaw since my 95 Avalon. It's apparent on my 99 Solara and I get that occassional clack with my 04 IS300. No TSIB will fix that unfortunately, only temporary.

FYI, 04-06 RX330 that are made at the Kyushu Japan Plant come mainly with Michelin & Goodyear. There's about a 50/50 mix as far distribution is concerned. This is about the same with the Cambridge Ontario made RX's as well.
flipside, thanks for the info. I never have any clack before I switch to Akebono, I guess it is just a luck of draw whether one gets that noise resulted from the design flaw.
Old 09-19-05, 10:07 AM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default best brake pads for RX300

Has anyone had any experience with Raybestos QuietStop pads, Bendix CT-3 brake pads or NAPA Ceramic pads? Would it be better to just buy Akebono pads from my local auto store and just get my local repair shop to install them? Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Quick Reply: Best Brake Pads for RX300