RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

HELP! .. my trac, vsc, abs light came on

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-05, 05:46 PM
evilxlexso
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP! .. my trac, vsc, abs light came on

i need some help.. i dont know what to do... I started up my car this mornin and warm it up before work ..everything was doing good.. got to work none of the lights werent on yet.... lunch came around. we out to my car to go buy lunch.. started my car ..all the lights went on.... the trac, vsc, abs... what can be the problem? what should i do?
Old 03-23-05, 08:33 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fault Lights on

If you do a search on this web page. You will find numerous threads for this problem. I have a 2001 RX300. Bought it used about a year ago. Every once and awhile it will have something go wrong. When it does. All of the lights come on. Just like yours. I have found it almost always ocurrs when my daughter puts gas in it. She doesnt tighten the cap very well. If you just tighten it. It will have a fuel tank pressure fault. And all the lights will come on. You have to tighten the cap till it clicks 4 or 5 times. I also have seen it come on when I am stuck in trafffic. And just idling for a while.

To clear the fault. You just have to pull the fuse for the EFI. It depends on what year you have where it is located. It will be located in the fuse box next to the air filter. I have mine marked. Because I pull it every time I get gas. With the car off pull the fuse. Wait about 10 seconds. Put it back in. The lights will clear. Unless you have a major problem.
Old 03-23-05, 09:40 PM
evilxlexso
Driver

thanks for the info .. i will try it tomorrow.. i will let you know what happens..
Old 03-24-05, 05:08 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The key here is "check engine light" which you didn't mention. If that is on with the others a fault code is store in the computer. Most common cause is gas cap as mentioned above. After that it could be as simple as a vacuum hose, especially if a quick change place just changed your oil or anyone else checked the air filter. After that it gets more complicated with oxygen sensors, etc. Do a search on check engine light to find all the info.
Old 03-24-05, 11:32 AM
evilxlexso
Driver

nope my check eng. light didnt come on.. only the trac,vsc,abs...
Old 03-24-05, 01:08 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going by my experience, it's the check engine light that comes on (along with some others) when the gas cap is loose. Anyway, I would still follow the advice above and pull the EFI fuse (or disconnect the battery for a few minutes) to try and reset the computer.

KEYSRX300: Was your check engine light on along with the others?
Old 03-24-05, 08:56 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine lights

Mine hasnt happened in awhile. But if I remember right. I get all of the lights. Check Engine, VSC, and Trac Off. It may depend on your own car. I have a FWD. It may be different for a AWD.

I pull my fuse every time I fill up with gas. I put a piece of tape around the fuse. So it has a little tab to pull on.

I also recently started cleaning the Oxygen Sensors. The one on top of air hose. The one that has two screws holding it on. And you can also spray the cleaner down the intake to clean the second one. Since then I havent had as many problems with the lights.

Now if I could just get rid of the gerbil that lives in my glove box. I would be set.
Old 09-23-05, 08:39 AM
chimchimm5
Driver School Candidate

Our 2004 RX330 FWD got the VSC, trac and check engine light yesterday. I have a code reader and got code:

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction

We check the gas cap (no pressure) and replaced. I scanned and cleared the code. We'll see what happens today. I recently (2 days ago) pulled a front tire off to fix a puncture with a patch so I'm wondering if I somehow knocked the speed sensor or ABS sensor., or maybe just knocked dirt into it.
Old 09-25-05, 08:29 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could be ABS sensor

I recently ran into an issue on a, gasp, BMW whereby the Bosch ABS computer failed. The lights came on after driving for a few miles after heat sink set in on the module. Do your warning lights stay on all the time? Anyway you might contact Gavin at

http://www.modulemaster.com/bmwabsrepair.html

he can at least tell you iour particular vehicles have a know issue and what type module you have. Does you Tach work also?
Old 04-27-17, 04:57 PM
geddymd72
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Lexus ES 300

I had the Brake, Trac off, VSC, and ABS lights go on a few weeks ago. Initially, they came with a check engine light and a couple of Evap codes. I erased the codes, tightened the gas cap, but the 4 lights remained. I ended up getting a new gas cap, and new battery (which i knew was going bad). Still the 4 lights remained, even after battery disconnect, pulling EFI fuse, zero point calibration. After 2 weeks, I start up after work, and the lights are gone. So, I'm not sure if it just took time for the ECM to clear them on their own after gas cap/battery change, a seasonably warm day, or what.