RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus RX300 subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-04, 11:05 AM
Vampire3eb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Keys,

Just so I understand correctly... basically what you want to do is swap the subs right? Sounds like an interesting & innovative project!

I was just thinking about having the wOOx work alongside the factory sub. Do you think it would work if I just connected the wOOx to the sub under the front passenger seat? What I'm going for is a space-saving setup because I use my cargo area often. This is why I was wondering whether or not the whole unit would fit under the backseat.

I think I am going to order mine soon from Crutchfield. No local stores carry it and few online sites sell it. I hear good things about the wOOx, but just in case I'm not satisfied with it, Crutchfield has a full return policy (and the even pay for S&H)! I guess that's what won me over, even if I pay $20 more.

Anyways, let me know how your setup goes. I probably wont' tackle mine for another few weeks.

-Pat

Hint: Soon you will all see my glorious Halos
Old 05-24-04, 12:27 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WOOX Install

Pat, It would be tight on space for both. So I was just going to use the existing wiring to the original speaker. Run a new ground and power wire. And run the remote to the center console area.

On the speaker itself. I was going to adapt the ported enclosure of the original. Cut it to make it fit the WOOX. Not sure what Crutchfield wants for one. But they go on eBay for around 150.00. Wes
Old 05-24-04, 03:04 PM
sealevel
Driver School Candidate

When you swap the subs, assuming they fit, were you going to use the factory amps as your power source? Or is the Kenwood self powered?
Old 05-25-04, 09:32 AM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Default Kenwood WOOX

The Kenwood subwoofer is an enclosed system with its own amp. I was going to just connect it to the existing speaker wiring. And run a new power and ground wire.
Old 05-25-04, 08:27 PM
sealevel
Driver School Candidate

hhhmmm, so I assume the Kenwood has high level inputs? Just remeber, you are basically going to be amplifing an already amplified signal, you may get distortion at low volume levels because of this. But keep us posted, let u sknow how it works out.
Old 05-27-04, 09:54 AM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Default Subwoofer

Will see what happens. Ive been told It work work. Im not sure if the subwoofer uses the amp under the back seat. I may have to bypass it. Hopefully I will have this done in the next week or so. I will let you know how it works out.
Old 09-15-04, 11:59 PM
642jdub
Rookie

I was wondering how this install worked out and how the Kenwoods sound
Old 09-16-04, 06:15 AM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Default Subwoofer Installation

I wasnt able to get this done. I kept bidding on some WOOX and the Basslinks on eBay. Trying to get a deal on one. But kept getting over bid at the last second. The last couple months I havent had time to work on it.. With all these hurricanes.
Old 09-09-11, 11:37 PM
MusicManRy
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 2000 RX300 Lexus.

My parents own a 2001 RX300, but my sound system seems much more powerful.

After having read a few posts above, perhaps this is due to the sub woofer that everyone is claiming is under my passenger seat.

I was just about to go talk to a custom stereo shop to discuss some options to add some bass into the truck. While my car is more punchy than my parent's, it doesn't have the bass response I'm looking for.

Does anyone have a picture of the stock sub woofer that's supposedly under the front passenger's seat?

Are there more powerful solutions that could replace this sub and enclosure?
Old 09-10-11, 06:42 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You will be able to see the subwoofer under the passenger seat. Just move the seat all the way back, you will see a black box. If you want to see the other side move the seat all the way up.

If both audio systems are stock, then the 00' and 01' "should" sound the same.
Old 09-10-11, 10:45 AM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is the stock subwoofer enclosure...I believe the woofer is 4.5 or 5 inches
Old 09-10-11, 06:38 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by MusicManRy
I just bought a 2000 RX300 Lexus. My parents own a 2001 RX300, but my sound system seems much more powerful.
The RX came with two different sound systems, the base Pioneer and the upgraded Nakamichi. This might be why the 2000 sounds different than the 2001.
Old 09-12-11, 01:50 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
The RX came with two different sound systems, the base Pioneer and the upgraded Nakamichi. This might be why the 2000 sounds different than the 2001.
Mine has JBL badged speakers.
Old 09-12-11, 06:09 AM
MusicManRy
Driver School Candidate

Since my initial post in this thread, I have learned from my homework.

The picture above is accurate. The 2000 RX300 comes with a powered 5" sub enclosure that sits just below the passenger's front seat. The amp rating is 35 watts.

The factory sub is capable of producing clean lows when listening at low volume levels. When the volume is raised, it begins to distort slightly.

For those who would like to add a sub that is a little more aggressive, there is plenty of room under the rear seats. In addition, there is room in the rear cargo area inside the spare tire, or on either side, behind the wheel wells.

I went to talk with an installer at a local custom speaker shop. We have decided to install a new sub under the passenger's rear seat, with an amp under the driver's rear seat. They will patch into the original speaker wire that originally lead to the factory sub, and extend it to the new amp. A new power cable, with inline fuse, will be ran from the battery. New RCA cables will be ran from the stock radio, in addition to a keyed remote wire - this will insure the amp only gets powered when the key is turned on. A new ground wire will be attached to the body of the car near the new amp's location.

I'm going with an 8" Rockford Fosgate Sub, and a 400 watt Rockford Amp. The stereo shop will be building a custom inclosure that fits snugly under the seat, while providing enough room for any slide associated with laying the back of the seat down flat.

Once the installation is completed, I will document the install with pictures. They will be made available here to anyone interested in doing a similar install.

Last edited by MusicManRy; 09-12-11 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-12-11, 12:34 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Sounds awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures and the installation. I might be looking to do this some time next summer.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX300 subwoofer