ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003-182/)
-   -   Traction Control on RX300 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/100033-traction-control-on-rx300.html)

sashka 10-27-03 09:18 AM

Traction Control on RX300

I'm considering purchasing an out-of-lease 2001 RX300. I'd like to have traction control option to ride on snow more safely. However, a used car Lexus dealer in our town told me that traction control on RX300 is not available (which I found hard to believe) while stability control is standard. Could anybody tell me what the truth is?

The owners of RX300 equipped with traction control: please share your impressions. Does it or not work well? In addition, I've read that traction control on Toyota Highlander cannot be turned off and makes an annoying beeping sound each time it kicks in. Is it the same on Lexus?

Many thanks!

mooretorque 10-27-03 09:41 AM

sashka, VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) took the place of the older TRAC system that Lexus offered in the 90s. TRAC only worked to prevent rear wheelspin, whereas VSC reacts to loss of traction from any/all of the 4 wheels, providing not only traction control but some degree of skid control by selectively braking one or more wheel(s) and cutting engine power.

I'll have to let one of the owners with a newer RX than mine answer the question as to whether or not VSC can be turned off in the newer RX; it CAN be turned off in my GS.

parula 10-27-03 04:02 PM

The 2003 has both VSC and a Trac button.

Trac controls the drive wheel traction balance I think, VSC multi-function driving control.

mikey00 10-27-03 05:05 PM

Trac is only for 2wd. Not required on AWD.

HarrierAWD 10-27-03 08:50 PM

In a sense your dealer is right. Traction control is only available on the FWD version. Lexus does not sell FWD RX300 in the snow belt unless you special order.

For 2001 and on, the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) option became standard equipment on AWD RX300. Look for the VSC badge on the front doors.

Gaith 11-12-03 10:38 PM

Traction Control

Hi
I have a 2002 RX300 AWD with Traction Control, Where I live it's not needed (but I got it any way, I did not have an option) so I never tried it.

Good luck

HarrierAWD 11-13-03 02:52 PM

Re: Traction Control

Originally posted by Gaith
Hi
I have a 2002 RX300 AWD with Traction Control, Where I live it's not needed (but I got it any way, I did not have an option) so I never tried it.

Good luck

Either you have an AWD with VSC, or a FWD with TC. Again it's impossible to have AWD with TC.

Take a look at the blank space next to the front cigarette lighter. It's the space for the TC off switch, only available on the FWD model.

VSsc400 11-13-03 10:19 PM

wait a minute. I have a 1999 AWD. does this mean I have VSC or TRAC?

Lexmexico 11-14-03 06:41 AM

I have a 99, so you must have TRAC, ECT and SNOW modes.

mooretorque 11-14-03 01:19 PM

VSCsc400, TRAC wasn't available on the 99 AWD; what you could get was the optional limited slip diff for the rear wheels. You do have, of course, SNOW, POWER, and normal (center position on the switch) modes for trans an throttle mapping.

salimshah 11-14-03 09:47 PM

99 FWD had optional Trac control. I opted for it as I did not want/need AWD.

Trac works by applying brake to the (front ... FWD) wheel which has lost traction (spinning at a higher rate). The engine power is thus trasmitted to the wheel which has grip.

It turned out that track sytem turned out to be better mechanism than AWD system till vsc came out.
Salim

mooretorque 11-15-03 05:23 AM

It turned out that track sytem turned out to be better mechanism than AWD system till vsc came out.
Salim, your info has always been pertinent and your opinions well thought out, so I'm curious as to the rationale for the above statement. Even if you credit (banned) WWest's statements/explanations regarding the AWD system, I found that, at least with the optional LSD, wifey's RX would go UP anything that I would also consider going back DOWN when the weather was icy/snowy. And that was true with both the Goodyear Flacciditys as well as the CTXs.

Bottom line: I always had at least 3 driven wheels vs 1. Can you clarify???

Dr Tom

Gaith 11-16-03 12:09 AM

Re: Re: Traction Control

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
Either you have an AWD with VSC, or a FWD with TC. Again it's impossible to have AWD with TC.

Take a look at the blank space next to the front cigarette lighter. It's the space for the TC off switch, only available on the FWD model.

You are absolutely right my car have the VSC but no Traction Control
Thank you

salimshah 11-16-03 06:26 PM

Originally posted by mooretorque
Salim, your info has always been pertinent and your opinions well thought out, so I'm curious as to the rationale for the above statement. Even if you credit (banned) WWest's statements/explanations regarding the AWD system, I found that, at least with the optional LSD, wifey's RX would go UP anything that I would also consider going back DOWN when the weather was icy/snowy. And that was true with both the Goodyear Flacciditys as well as the CTXs.

Bottom line: I always had at least 3 driven wheels vs 1. Can you clarify???

Dr Tom

Competitors set up a scenario where they showed the weak point of 99RX awd setup. Essentially they had no traction on one side (both front and back). The awd did not perform well and theretically the TRAC would have been successful.

Sorry I dont have much info on LSD. was that available then? Clearly 3 wheels driven are better than 1.
Salim

mooretorque 11-17-03 11:13 AM

Now that you've jogged my memory, I do remember that scenario.

Yes, the mechanical LSD was available from inception. Ours was/is a fairly early car (5/98 purchase) and, knowing that otherwise the car had 2 open diffs, I ordered the car with LSD.

Thanks for taking me down memory lane!!
:D