Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

Track Days and my IS350

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 08:57 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track Days and my IS350

I am thinking about doing some track days this summer with my 08 IS350 and I was wanting opinions of other who track their IS350. This is my daily driver so I don't want to effect its reliability. Has anyone had any problems with their car or anything break at track days. I have never done one so I will probably be slow for a while but it looks so much fun. Probably won't do more than 3-4 a year tops.

Also are there any simple modifications to help improve the 350s track performance. My warrenty is just about up so I don't mind doing some basic modifications. Not looking to add an exhaust to gain 2hp but more in the suspension and breaks side of things. I did notice is does have a far amount of body roll when pushing it.
Old 06-07-11, 09:02 AM
furryjet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportskid1
Not looking to add an exhaust to gain 2hp but more in the suspension and breaks side of things. I did notice is does have a far amount of body roll when pushing it.
Try f-sport sway bars and maybe some coilovers.
Old 06-07-11, 09:02 AM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

f sport sway bars.
Old 06-07-11, 09:23 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I am thinking about doing some track days this summer with my 08 IS350 and I was wanting opinions of other who track their IS350. This is my daily driver so I don't want to effect its reliability. Has anyone had any problems with their car or anything break at track days. I have never done one so I will probably be slow for a while but it looks so much fun. Probably won't do more than 3-4 a year tops.

Also are there any simple modifications to help improve the 350s track performance. My warrenty is just about up so I don't mind doing some basic modifications. Not looking to add an exhaust to gain 2hp but more in the suspension and breaks side of things. I did notice is does have a far amount of body roll when pushing it.

Depends what kind of track.

For a drag track you might want to really consider the intake and exhaust.

For a circle or auto-x track you'd want sway bars and probably different brake pads (the fronts are really easy to swap on the 350) at a minimum. Oh, and better tires.

Probably not worth doing the more hardcore stuff (corner balanced coil-overs, lightweight rims, larger rotors) if you're only going a few days a year.
Old 06-07-11, 10:12 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Also...

F-sport undercar brace to stiffen up the chassis and maybe a front strut brace.

Weight reduction also helps to improve handling... you can get carbon fiber hood and trunk. Like kurtz said, TIRE makes a really big difference. The tires are what come in contact with the road. I would go for a nice set of tires for racing first before slapping on the coil overs.
Old 06-07-11, 10:21 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

I'm probably gonna do a couple days myself now that I have new tires.Lowering it a bit might help also. Not to much though
Old 06-07-11, 12:44 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran mine with practically everything stock for suspension mods go and it felt like I was at the top of a pine tree in a summer storm. It felt like it practically wanted to roll over on top of itself and the understeer was atrocious.

At the time, I had 19's with fresh tires, intake and exhaust.

Now though, after my sway bar and coilovers, Id like to give it another go this summer and see where I stand.

All in all, though....the tires are definitely the limiting factor. Oh, and be prepared to completely shred the tires too. I actually made myself stop goin round the track after I saw the massive chunks that were missing from my front tires.

Get you some track only tires. This way, you wont mind if they go and you'll get better times.
Old 06-07-11, 01:41 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will start with the F-Sport sway bars. Are those a pretty easy bolt on? Swap out both front and rear? From there I will give it a day on the track and see how I feel before investing in coilovers.

As for tires I am currently running Hankook Ventus V12s. Anyone run those at the track? Since I will only be doing a few track days a year I am not sure if I want to go with a track specfic tire as I really don't want to replace them every 10K street miles. May be I can start looking for a extra set of rims if I really get into it.
Old 06-07-11, 02:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will start with the F-Sport sway bars. Are those a pretty easy bolt on? Swap out both front and rear? From there I will give it a day on the track and see how I feel before investing in coilovers.
Long as nothing is rusted on the sway bars are very easy... 1-2 hours to do yourself depending how slow you go... the front taking 3/4 of the total time since you have to remove a few underpanels to get to it while the rear is "right there"

As for tires I am currently running Hankook Ventus V12s. Anyone run those at the track? Since I will only be doing a few track days a year I am not sure if I want to go with a track specfic tire as I really don't want to replace them every 10K street miles. May be I can start looking for a extra set of rims if I really get into it.
You'll probably be fine, those are excellent street tires
Old 06-13-11, 08:30 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Ordered the sway bars. It is a So Cal car so hopefully rust won't be an issue and they go on quick.
Old 06-13-11, 09:16 AM
Salduchi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did Autocross with my stock 350 this past April. Can tell you for sure it needs sway bars. Second, I would say either springs or coils. Then I would consider exhaust and or intake. I did not feel an issue with braking but average speed was only about 50mph.

I've already done the sways and springs. I had new Ventus V12's on the back and they handled great.
Old 02-02-12, 10:12 AM
White350
Rookie

I took my nearly stock 250 out for a couple time attack sessions last year, get Coilovers and be done with it,
beyond that I'd recommend some decent brake pads, and decent rubber these cars are new enough that they really don't need much to go on the track and have fun with
Old 02-02-12, 05:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I track my F about the same. Brake pads for sure. Stiffer springs or sways or both would be good choices for the 350 (I owned one before I got my F). Street tires are recommended especially for new drivers because they'll give a lot more warning before they let go.

If your tires are chunking it's because the tires are crap and/or you're not running enough pressure in them to keep them from overheating. The OEM Bridgestones on the F (RE050A) work just fine at the track - I got 30k miles and four track weekends on my first set of rears, so tires (as long as they're not crap tires) will be the least of your expenses considering the 350 is almost 150 lbs lighter than the F.
The following users liked this post:
Bigairbare (04-01-17)
Old 05-18-12, 07:02 AM
Roninsan
Rookie

I wouldn't even bother with getting an intake or exhaust especially if you guys are running on the typical short track autocross course. I would concentrate more on the suspension upgrades, chassis bracing, bushings, LSD maybe a 2-way, lightweight flywheel upgrade your clutch, and if you still got money in your budget....BBK.

I say this because I rather enjoy the handling of this cars first and develop my skills to drive these cars as if they are an extension of my arms and legs.
The following users liked this post:
Bigairbare (04-01-17)