Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

change brake pads/fluid for single track day?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 01:12 PM
elm3c
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I swapped back and forth with no issues! That's probably for the most optimum performance... in race conditions. You'll be perfectly fine!

Congrats!!!

Dave
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Same here. Not sure about the Enduro compound, but for the regular XP series, no problem at all.
Thanks, guys! Makes me feel a lot better. I spoke to Mike Jr at Carbotech too, and he said to just be wary. Going from the stock pads to the Carbotechs shouldn't be a big deal, but on the swap back to stock, it might take a bit to clear off. I did notice that I mistyped on my pad choice above. Should be Carbotech RP2 fronts and XP10 rears.

Also, just exchanged emails with a Skip Barber instructor at Laguna Seca who said that he's run through quite a few sets of tires around LS with the IS-F. He said "Upgrading the brakes is a must, as the stock brakes will only work well for a few laps and then you really have to baby them."

I'll let you all know how it goes!
Old 09-02-10, 01:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by elm3c
'''Also, just exchanged emails with a Skip Barber instructor at Laguna Seca who said that he's run through quite a few sets of tires around LS with the IS-F. He said "Upgrading the brakes is a must, as the stock brakes will only work well for a few laps and then you really have to baby them."

I'll let you all know how it goes!
LOL! There's nothing worse for your driving experience than having to slow down because your brakes won't keep up...
Old 09-10-10, 02:24 PM
elm3c
Rookie

ARGGGHH!!!! Carbotech totally screwed up. I had ordered pads last week, and they were supposed to ship last Friday by third day air so that I could get them in time to install this weekend.

Instead, they shipped ground, which would have arrived next week. I contacted them as soon as I got the tracking number notification. So they had recalled the shipment, and said that they would make new pads to expedite to me by today (or expedite the recalled ground package, whichever was faster).

Still no package today, so I emailed to find out the tracking number. Turns out they couldn't make new ones in time, and they haven't received the recalled package yet. And they didn't even let me know until I asked.

No pads.

No track day. Out track day fees for all my efforts.

ARRRGGGHHH!
Old 09-10-10, 03:23 PM
huksa
Rookie

OMG.. I was going to say to have fun, but sorry to hear your story.
Still, I hope everything would get sorted out fast.

I attended Skip barber racing school a couple of weeks ago at Laguna Seca, and that was my second expedition to a race track in my life. My first time was on Lime Rock Park (again, with Skip Barber HPDS, driving IS-F), and Laguna Seca is a great track compared with Lime Rock.

I was positively overwhelmed by Skip Barber MX-5 at the track already, so I have a great respect for those who race their IS-Fs at much higher speed and threshold

Anyhow, cheer up!

Last edited by huksa; 09-10-10 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 06:06 PM
elm3c
Rookie

Originally Posted by huksa
OMG.. I was going to say to have fun, but sorry to hear your story.
Still, I hope everything would get sorted out fast.

I attended Skip barber racing school a couple of weeks ago at Laguna Seca, and that was my second expedition to a race track in my life. My first time was on Lime Rock Park (again, with Skip Barber HPDS, driving IS-F), and Laguna Seca is a great track compared with Lime Rock.

I was positively overwhelmed by Skip Barber MX-5 at the track already, so I have a great respect for those who race their IS-Fs at much higher speed and threshold

Anyhow, cheer up!
Thanks, Huska, appreciate the comments. I'm just so bummed out right now. I know there will be other times, but I was so excited for this event - it's a big let down.

You'll have to give me some feedback on Skip Barber at Laguna. I'd definitely like to take some of the courses there.
Old 09-10-10, 06:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by elm3c
ARGGGHH!!!! Carbotech totally screwed up. I had ordered pads last week, and they were supposed to ship last Friday by third day air so that I could get them in time to install this weekend.

Instead, they shipped ground, which would have arrived next week. I contacted them as soon as I got the tracking number notification. So they had recalled the shipment, and said that they would make new pads to expedite to me by today (or expedite the recalled ground package, whichever was faster).

Still no package today, so I emailed to find out the tracking number. Turns out they couldn't make new ones in time, and they haven't received the recalled package yet. And they didn't even let me know until I asked.

No pads.

No track day. Out track day fees for all my efforts.

ARRRGGGHHH!
Very sorry to hear this. It has not been my experience at all - they've always made it easy for me to get what I needed when I needed it.