Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

Anyone autocross their F?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-09, 05:35 PM
AU_EE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone autocross their F?

I used to autocross previous cars years ago and was debating whether to start planning to get a second set of rims / autocross tires for next summer... Don't have quite as much free time as I did back then, but I hope to take it out a few times at least.

I've seen lots of drag related posts but nothing on autocross so thought I'd try to pry it out of you all

So, if you've run yours, did you run on the stock tires or something else? How'd it do? Any comments on how it "behaved"? Tips for handling the beast in that kind of environment?
Old 10-17-09, 05:49 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

MY F is only a track car.... you can pm on info or look at the SO cal thread on the track event.
Old 10-17-09, 05:53 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I personally would not track the car if you plan on keeping it for a long time.
Old 10-17-09, 09:40 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I personally would not track the car if you plan on keeping it for a long time.
why not???

its built for that..... maintain it and it will be fine....
Old 10-18-09, 10:57 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisburke
why not???

similar to the GT-R. pressing a launch button would ultimately void warranty. though the IS F does not come with such a button, i do think in the long run it would have a negative impact on the transmission, as well as possibly the engine itself. but for those who are adept at tracking their cars and know how to well, it shouldn't be a problem. it is for those who want the thrill of going on a race track that may not know fully how to maintain their big time purchase.
Old 10-18-09, 02:39 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

why not???

The IS F, at the end of the day, is still a street car and shouldn't be tracked unless you are completely confident in your skills, and completely capable of assuming whatever costs associated with such practices. You can forget about your warranty.

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
similar to the GT-R. pressing a launch button would ultimately void warranty. though the IS F does not come with such a button, i do think in the long run it would have a negative impact on the transmission, as well as possibly the engine itself. but for those who are adept at tracking their cars and know how to well, it shouldn't be a problem. it is for those who want the thrill of going on a race track that may not know fully how to maintain their big time purchase.
That.
Old 10-18-09, 02:44 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

I BOUGHT IT TO RACE IT. What a waste of car if I just drive it to work and back. Money is not an issue and either is the warranty. I have a dealer that is willing to take care of me. I can only do what the car will let me. Smashing in a wall thats a dif story... so I guess that goes the same for a M3?? Sorry, but with proper maintenance and care I see no issue.....
Old 10-18-09, 03:39 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I BOUGHT IT TO RACE IT. What a waste of car if I just drive it to work and back. Money is not an issue and either is the warranty. I have a dealer that is willing to take care of me. I can only do what the car will let me. Smashing in a wall thats a dif story... so I guess that goes the same for a M3?? Sorry, but with proper maintenance and care I see no issue.....

times a million.
Old 10-18-09, 04:24 PM
AU_EE
Rookie

As long as you're talking track activities with 0 or near 0 risk of collision with another vehicle, wall, etc. (e.g. most autocross events) I don't think its that big a deal and see absolutely no reason it should void a warranty. My autocross experiences, including watching other people run, rarely showed anything that most people wouldn't do to their cars on the street, it's just more likely to be legal during the autocross.

I look at it like this. Can you hurt your car at all by taking a corner hard? No, that just burns some extra rubber off the tires. And do you ever get the urge and run the car to the redline instead of driving like grandma? With a car like this, I hope so

Personally, I think you're better off learning what any given car is capable of and how to handle it near its limits in a safe (track) environment vs. not knowing.
Old 10-18-09, 04:26 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by au_ee
as long as you're talking track activities with 0 or near 0 risk of collision with another vehicle, wall, etc. (e.g. Most autocross events) i don't think its that big a deal and see absolutely no reason it should void a warranty. My autocross experiences, including watching other people run, rarely showed anything that most people wouldn't do to their cars on the street, it's just more likely to be legal during the autocross.

I look at it like this. Can you hurt your car at all by taking a corner hard? No, that just burns some extra rubber off the tires. And do you ever get the urge and run the car to the redline instead of driving like grandma? With a car like this, i hope so :d

personally, i think you're better off learning what any given car is capable of and how to handle it near its limits in a safe (track) environment vs. Not knowing.

thats what i am talking about... Well said
Old 10-24-09, 07:17 AM
jaslapp1
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. She comes alive at the track. I'd honestly much rather only drive it at the track but I already have a track only car and who doesn't want to pimp their ISF haha.

As for the question on the thread. I haven't autocrossed the F I've only run it at track days on circuit tracks. In my opinion it is an impressive machine from the factory especially for a sedan. The F blows by cars going up the uphill at the shenandoah circuit at summit point. My cousin autocrosses and he said he's seen this guy in a stock F win his class twice so it can be done for sure.
Old 10-24-09, 07:45 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AU_EE
As long as you're talking track activities with 0 or near 0 risk of collision with another vehicle, wall, etc. (e.g. most autocross events) I don't think its that big a deal and see absolutely no reason it should void a warranty. My autocross experiences, including watching other people run, rarely showed anything that most people wouldn't do to their cars on the street, it's just more likely to be legal during the autocross.

I look at it like this. Can you hurt your car at all by taking a corner hard? No, that just burns some extra rubber off the tires. And do you ever get the urge and run the car to the redline instead of driving like grandma? With a car like this, I hope so

Personally, I think you're better off learning what any given car is capable of and how to handle it near its limits in a safe (track) environment vs. not knowing.
I totally agree with you 100% Dunno what the hell is all these ppl talking about voiding warranty if the car sees the track, Such douchebags!!! how is the dealer gonna know you track the car? Seriously, unless you have a cage in the car or if you bring the car to the dealer with a million stickers like the nascar, or with the big F1 tires on your F, tell me, how are they gonna find out????? And tell me which car that they sell at the dealers is not gonna have negative impact on the trans, tires, brakes, when you have fun with the car at an autox???? Bring it to the autox, nothing wrong with that, just don't over do it like a few members suggest..... Just keep in mind, theres gonna be alot of extra wear on your $300+ tires, your $400 brake pads, thats basically it if you ask me. Not gonna void your warranty.
Old 10-24-09, 07:57 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

I really dont know why the Nissan Gtr even have that stupid button for..... Its there but your not allowed to press it otherwise your warranty will be void...... OK..... WTF you put it there for?????? Its like telling us F owners, you got a 500hp shot of NOS right here, this Blue buttone here, but if you press the button, you might blow up the engine and void warranty.... But its there, the New F has 916Hp with the NOS button, 0-60 in 2.8sec. but we gotta make you sign this paper about pressing the button before we sell you the new F.... hahahahahahahahaha
Old 10-24-09, 11:29 AM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

hahaha.... so i can caress my blue button but never use it.. hahah.. dood and if we push it like all these alarms go off and siren flashing ..... VOIDED VOIDED VOIDED... hahah..
Old 10-24-09, 06:06 PM
Axtellz
Rookie

Oh man, is that blue button on the 2010 F's??!! I need one!

;-)

Quick Reply: Anyone autocross their F?