Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

SC4 and autocross

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 05:38 PM
Punky
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC4 and autocross

Well I am planning on attacking moroso a lot in the coming months, would really like to start autocrossing. So I am wondering how viable is it to make an SC4 a decent autocross car? What kind of damage will I be doing to the automatic transmisson? Its mostly gonna be a once a month thing so what upgrades would you all recommend being a DD and doing autox weekends? An as always would be glad to hear tips on doing better with the sport. And one last question, I dont have the gated shifter would you all recommend putting it in drive or 2?
Old 02-12-08, 06:01 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

I wouldn't autocross a stock SC at all....Drive it...buy another car to cross.
If your dead set on tracking that thing...suspension, suspension, suspension.

with the amount of money you'd spend to get that thing to the point of not getting walked all over...you could buy a used track car.
Old 02-12-08, 06:11 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

/agreed...

but then i plan on autoxing/tracking my car =D

wish i started with an m3 though =\
Old 02-12-08, 06:16 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Originally Posted by Baoser
wish i started with an m3 though
First car that popped into my head....95,96 M3 5speed...
Old 02-12-08, 06:23 PM
Punky
Lead Lap

Well hehe, I plan on upgrading to a 330ci soon. But I wanna run this sometime till then, I dont really plan on beating gt3s and such, but would like to "Playball" with some of the decent newer cars like g35s, CLKs, Vdubs. Also why is the SC such a bad car to autocross? IMO it has above average handling (An I have drove quite a few cars) decent speed, rwd. Only thing I can think of is open diff or automatic
Old 02-12-08, 06:33 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

CLK.....Go talk to OLT. He'll tell you all about how his SC is better than his CLK.

Well, LSD...theres a grand,
Beefing up the car with some simple things like Poly's, STB, lowering springs, new mounts (Eng/Trns)...Just under a grand.

Wider wheels and stickier tires, over a grand.
Brakes, even with fleebay drilled rotors, and better pads. $500 or more.

But then...its still a 3500lbs log.

lets just say $3500 to get it to track-a-bility status...I can find a SR20 swapped 240sx 5spd on Craigslist for that.
Old 02-12-08, 07:49 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

the doors alone weight as much as a m3...haha j/k

ehh...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=313851
Old 02-12-08, 10:11 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 - Put on your helmet, and sit in the car. Make sure you can sit properly.

The one and only time I autocrossed my SC was a complete waste of time.
I didn't have my own helmet at the time, and was using a loaner helmet. I couldn't sit in the car properly with the helmet on, my head would hit the ceiling. I had to lean the seat way back to get my head off the roof, and couldn't steer or see properly, plus I was sitting in a position I wasn't used to, which made driving just generally awkward. I'm about 6'1", nothing ridiculous, and the fact I couldn't sit properly completely ruined the day. It was a combination of my height, and the helmet that screwed everything up. I've since got my own helmet, and I can sit in the car, with a proper driving position, and not hit my head on the ceiling.

#2 - Get a better seat. The stock seat, obviously doesn't offer much lateral support. Once I had managed to cram myself into my car and get out on the course, the lack of lateral support was another serious problem. Having autocrossed other cars with better seats, a more supportive seat makes a huge difference. A different seat could correct the problem I had initially, and would have helped a lot for car control.

The way the car handles on course is great, as long as the course isn't too tight. Don't bother modding the car yet. Get some seat time. Which gear to select depends a lot on the course. The top speed in 1st is 43mph, 2nd is 75mph, and D is 114mph (with the OD off, so 3rd gear.) 2 would probably cover you, if the course is more open, stick it in D with the OD off. If you've got TRAC, make sure that's off too. Bump your tire pressures up too. I don't know if you're completely new to autoX or not, but the end of the car with the higher pressure will have more grip. Start with the same pressure front and rear, or even with a higher pressure in the rear if you're completely new, that'll give you a bit of understeer. You might run wide if you're running a little too fast, but won't kill your run with a spin. Don't drop the rear pressure too much, the car could become a handful. If there are some fast corners, it could get exciting or messy, if there are walls, curbs, cars, people to hit.
Old 02-13-08, 10:52 AM
HELLAFLUSH
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by neurocity
I wouldn't autocross a stock SC at all....Drive it...buy another car to cross.
If your dead set on tracking that thing...suspension, suspension, suspension.

with the amount of money you'd spend to get that thing to the point of not getting walked all over...you could buy a used track car.
Dont forget the sticky tires!
Old 02-13-08, 03:56 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

This is why I have my S2000, good for autoX and track duty. I wouldn't bother with the SC, it's just so heavy and old with most of the original rubber bushings just ready to crack and disintegrate. I lowered my SC with a new set of springs and shocks along with new Supra LCAs along with larger wheels and new tires, but that only covers part of the equation. On a car that's 12-15yo, you would definitely want to replace ALL your suspension bushings if you're going to try keeping up with the newer cars.
Old 02-13-08, 08:52 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

in relation to autox, keep in mind that while modding will allow you to keep up with newer cars, modding will also put you in a different class. what will happen, is your course time will be put through a formula, and that will be your corrected time. the idea is to level the playing field, but it doesn't always work to your advantage.

for example, wheels. wheels move you from stock to a modified class. the problem arises, when the class you are moved to, allows other mods that you don't have, in other words, you just got screwed.

so
you're in your mod class, and you beat a stock G35 out on course. then your time goes through the formula, and you get smoked by the G.
Old 02-14-08, 11:57 AM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Replacing all your old worn out bushings will not count as modification thus it will keep you in the same class, same for upgrading the tires to higher performance ones as long as you don't go with R compounds. Just replace components that will most likely fail on you during an autoX like the bushings that I mentioned before and maybe replace all of your shocks if you haven't yet as they may be worn and in need of it anyway. None of those items will bump you to modded class but it will help improve your cars demeanor. Also, I would make sure all your fluids are filled or flushed if it's old.
Old 02-14-08, 07:59 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

only thing about that is that it's an awful lot of money to spend just to basically return the car to original condition, while most people would rather spend the money on upgrades

changing tires doesn't count as a mod as long as the wheels are the stock size.
Old 02-15-08, 05:20 AM
Punky
Lead Lap

As of right now I have custom intake, exhaust with center cat delete, and espelir springs. I am looking into finding some daizen sways bars and used tokico shocks and some wheels and tires soon. I am trying to mod this car and make it more fun and get the respect it should =) but at the same time I am trying to keep saving cash for my hopeful e46 330ci zhp or e36 M.

PS: on a little off topic note I just installed my new springs about 2 days ago, me and a friend went to a store with speed bumps the other day and my car was slamming on em, this something I just gotta get used to with passengers or did I do something wrong during the install lmao, like using the OEM shocks back?