Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

How would you build the ultimate autocross sc400?

Old 07-05-17, 03:29 AM
DGFNR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys.

I get a fair number of referrals to http://farnorthracing.com from this site, so I figured I'd pass on some good news.

Autocross to Win is now a book on Amazon! Kindle and paperback.

Amazon Amazon

Enjoy!
Old 03-13-23, 06:55 AM
GloriousSC
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Bilstien AK shocks, Hyper coil springs 650lb/400lb, Titan big sways, some 18"x10" Front wheels and 18x11.5rear wheels with Yokohama Advan A052 265/35R18 f 295/35R18r. Supra TT brakes. The biggest change will most definitely be a OS Giken Super Lock LSD Differential. It was a revelation. That one part dropped over 3 seconds by itself on a tight AutoX course. It also made the car a grip machine to the point that my V8 SC400 can't break traction at all. Foot to the floor in a tight corner and it just zips around it no spinning. I would get that part over all the others if you are limited on funds. Even with a crap Tien setup and slidy 19's.

And if you get that far do a braille battery and the Carbon: doors, hood, fenders and seats skip the trunk. That alone will shave off over 400lbs off the front of the car. Don't do any weight savings or take anything out the rear. The car is 57f/43r weight distribution from the factory. Taking 400lbs off the front axle will bring it to ~50/50. If you do any weight saving in the rear you end up in the same place you started from just lighter. Most performance cars favor a rear weight bias for optimal handling. Lighten the front only. This will make the car turn in quicker with less mass and the rear will follow and rotate the car with the weight.

Don't listen to anyone saying the SC is not a good performance car. Toyota spent over a Billion dollars on it making that a farse. You just have to shave all the pudgy bits off and you have a front mid engined balanced machine with huge tire potential, double wishbone suspension and with a OS Giken Super Lock LSD can hang with the best of them well driven. I am usually second or third fastest overall in my SC400 compared to all the new metal out there. Usually the top two are on slicks and I was on All-seasons. That was with a bone stock engine. The SC will preform as well as you can imagine a car preforming if you know what you are doing with it.

Which brings me to my last point. Go to Racing school. I did as soon as I had a license and a car. I have been to over 4 racing schools now. Was the best $$ spent IMO. SCCA used to host them too. I went way faster with that than even the OS Giken LSD. I also have never been in an accident. I have been driving for 27 years now. The skills you learn there make you all around better even on the road. I think it should be mandatory to learn how to handle a car properly to get a license. Soapbox rant over. Just do it. If you want the shortcut for the highest speed for dollar: 1. Tires listed above. 2. OD Giken Super Lock LSD. 3. Racing school. You will probably shave over 10 seconds with those combos at your next Auto X and start placing on the podium each time.

My $0.03