RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Adding ambient lighting to the 2020 interior door panel?

Old 12-01-20, 05:58 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 748 Likes on 466 Posts
Arrow Adding ambient lighting to the 2020 interior door panel? *UPDATE* It CAN be added!

Apparently from 19' and up, Lexus removed the inner door ambient lighting from our cars. I posted on facebook and people posted their pictures and it's a nice that the trim piece on the interior of the door is light up. Does anyone know if this ambient lighting on the door panel is removable? I searched ebay pictures and auctions for rcf door panels and I can see the two wire plug on the back of the door panel. I just can't get close enough pictures to see if that piece is removable. I believe the door panels didn't really change so I am thinking and hoping that it could be retro fitted to the newer models?

EDIT: See below pictures! It CAN be added and done! w00t w00t!!

Seems mind boggling to me that they removed this feature. It looks so nice.

Thanks,
-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 12-04-20 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Update!
The following users liked this post:
raerae1616 (05-23-21)
Old 12-01-20, 07:25 PM
arruda89
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Last I know if they all still have it. When the car is in Park, the light is brighter. Put it in drive, the light dims but still noticeable.

Here’s a video of a 2019 review, at 50 seconds you see the ambient lighting on the door.

Old 12-01-20, 08:56 PM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Yep, mine definitely doesn't have it. But from the looks of panels on ebay and my panel that I just removed it MIGHT be possible to add it. I do not have a connector inside the door panel however, that hopefully isn't going to be a problem since the window control switches and seating memory is located there. hopefully I could tap off a 12v/ dimmer wire.

Pics of my panel:

Pics of panel on eBay that has the ambient lighting.

I am going to test a couple things. Found a really cheap panel on ebay Since all RC's use the same LED module it shouldn't matter.

In case anyone wants the part numbers:
Left - 81090-24020
Right - 81090-24010

The damn light modules are $270+ each if ordered new. It makes more sense to buy a used complete door panel on eBay for $120 and then either take the led out and see if it works or sell the panel again. Once I get the piece I will update.

Blows my mind that Lexus/Toyota would remove this from the vehicle on the face lifted version...smh.

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 01-04-21 at 10:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nigel821:
Riko (12-13-20), vraa (12-04-20)
Old 12-01-20, 09:32 PM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

I think it’s one of the interior’s nicest features. I think removing it was a big mistake.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexAviles:
Riko (12-13-20), Sason (12-23-20)
Old 12-01-20, 09:36 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

It is not on the 2020? Surprised they removed it. Mine has that glowing ambient light on the door. Not sure if it came as part of the package or it was standard feature back then.
Old 12-02-20, 05:07 AM
nigel821
Racer

Seems like this was one of the things cut out on the 2020 models to save that total of 55lbs from previous years... smh.

I've got a test door panel coming. Hopefully I'll get that next week that I can "take apart". I am not taking my good new panel apart until I test it out and make sure that the ambient lighting can be removable without destroying anything. And also that it can be added to my door panel. I believe I found where it starts from the pictures above and looking at others on FB. The lighting enters right around the tip of the door handle portion but below it. When I checked mine, it DOES appears there is a small gap/two piece part that is there. So in theory, I should be able to add this. However I am not seeing if it's visible from the outside. IE: Anyone that has the ambient lighting in the doors are you able to take a picture looking from inside the cabin but down into the little trim piece. There's a slight groove. What I don't know for sure if on the ambient light door panels if there is a opening or hole along the entire part that the light sits on so it can fit/shine up or if the piece just sits behind the silver trim on the door panel. I'll probably immediately know as soon as the test door panel comes in.

I probed wires yesterday on the window control wiring harness. I found the ground and two 12v dimming wires, so it should be super easy to tap off that and give power to the ambient lighting module as long as it fits in my door panel. The only thing different that I can see is that my ambient lighting wired this way would only turn on when the headlights are on (not sure if yours is like that or always on?) but when you put it in drive it would not dim down. It would only dim when you use the brightness controls on the front panel. I'll update when I get everything and start tearing more into stuff.

-Nigel
Old 12-04-20, 04:33 PM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow Success!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my test panel in today. I wasn't entirely sure how or this was going to play out. After looking at the door panel and removing about 30 screws I was able to take out the ambient lighting pieces with the trim piece. Then I could not remove the ambient lighting module. I thought I had I would have to remove the metal trim... then after looking more, the module just slides out!! Took my door panel off and realized that there is a black cover piece. Again, I wasn't sure if this was going to come off, then after looking and seeing the one clip, realized it will slide out like the led module. Sure enough! Boom. The blank cover plate slides out!!! I have not wired anything up yet. That will be most likely tomorrow. This should be SUPER EASY. I will tap into the window control switches. Onto the dimming wire so if I turn down the cluster lights, these will dim down with them. The only thing this will not do is when I put it in drive, dim completely down to almost nothing, which is fine. These are not bright at all even at full brightness.... so I'm OK with that. Actually prefer it. Someone mentioned before that they cut 55lbs off of the newer RCFs and this could have been a result. However, these weight a few oz's, and the fact that Lexus MADE an insert piece to NOT include ambient lighting is such BS. Looking at this, it's so nice. Very subtle but looks so nice with the

Here are pictures.

So there you have it! If you have a 2020 and want ambient door lighting, it can be done! And is all plug and play. Just tap into the window wires and they will turn on when your lights come on and when you dim the rest of the lights, these will dim right along with them Once I wire them up for good, I'll post pictures to update. The above is my test psu that has them turned on.

-Nigel
The following 3 users liked this post by nigel821:
Joe Z (12-29-20), tuscani66 (12-07-20), vraa (12-04-20)
Old 12-04-20, 04:40 PM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 578 Likes on 314 Posts

Nice, I've been watching your Facebook thread also. Funny seeing a bunch of posts adding 2020 parts to pre-facelift cars, pretty sure you're the first to add an "old" feature.
Old 12-04-20, 04:57 PM
nigel821
Racer

lol, nice! I like to try and post info if there isn't anything there. These are expensive cars. It just is so annoying to me that you spend this much money for a premium flag ship vehicle and they cut silly things out like this. Things that look really nice.

Hopefully this helps someone if they want to add to the interior. I love the car honestly. but these little things make it so much nicer!

-Nigel
Riko (12-13-20), vraa (12-04-20)
Old 12-04-20, 06:10 PM
arruda89
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Great work! I'm still shocked the 2020 doesn't come with it. The fact ambient lighting is something a customer does want in a luxury car and they go take it out doesn't make sense.

Sometimes Lexus just has me face palming all day with their stupid decisions.
Old 12-04-20, 07:06 PM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

I know right. With a MSRP of $80k I still don't understand what person said "yep, lets do away with ambient lighting on the doors".

Update on just the passenger side door since I am now waiting for the driver. Got the wires picked out and everything works as it should. I'll upload my test videos on youtube.

Don't mind the quality or camera work..lol I'm just glad everything is working as it should, maybe even better than the factory setup since I can dim this with the rest of the lights.

Super happy!!

-Nigel
tuscani66 (12-07-20), vraa (12-05-20)
Old 12-04-20, 11:06 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Took a couple of pictures of my OEMs.

Old 12-05-20, 01:18 PM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Took a couple of pictures of my OEMs.

Looks great! They should have never removed this on the face lifted versions. Seems so stupid. Just another way to save or pocket some money. I should get my driver's panel next week. I also found some cheap oem door wiring harnesses, so I'll have OEM plugs when I tap into the window wiring. It'll look completely OEM with the fabric wrapped harness as well. I doubt the dealer would even know as well if they looked.

I'll update with the driver side wiring once I get everything in.

-Nigel
The following users liked this post:
vraa (12-05-20)
Old 12-05-20, 02:48 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nigel821
Looks great! They should have never removed this on the face lifted versions. Seems so stupid. Just another way to save or pocket some money. I should get my driver's panel next week. I also found some cheap oem door wiring harnesses, so I'll have OEM plugs when I tap into the window wiring. It'll look completely OEM with the fabric wrapped harness as well. I doubt the dealer would even know as well if they looked.

I'll update with the driver side wiring once I get everything in.

-Nigel
Thanks man. I was surprised when I heard they removed it. Should never have removed them. Good to hear it all worked out for you.
Old 12-11-20, 07:10 AM
nigel821
Racer

Does anyone have or could point me in the direction for the door panel/window wire control diagram?

I got everything working on the passenger side (waiting for the oem connector harness to arrive for the driver side tomorrow). When headlights turn on, the door ambient lighting turns on, when I use the two dimmer switches on the dash the lights dim and brighten. However something that is super strange is that when I shut the car off the center clock will stay illuminated. Even if the vehicle is off. It's like it's not turning off. As soon as I unplug the ambient lighting plug then the illuminated clock shuts off. Super strange. I would love to know for sure what is going on so I can make it not do that. I found two other wires that only get power when the headlights turn on. So my last resort for door ambient lighting is changing the wiring so when the headlights come on, the door lighting comes on. When the headlights are shut off then they shut off. Which is fine. But I would really love to be able to dim/brighten the door ambient lighting with the rest of the interior/dash lights.

I'm wondering if something is tricking the wire or voltage to think that something is still on via the ambient lighting, even though it's off. I wonder if I added a diode, if that would do anything? Want to do more troubleshooting before tearing into anymore.

-Nigel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding ambient lighting to the 2020 interior door panel?