RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF Dash Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 11:27 AM
orys
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
Tommy is a one man wonder, a national treasure! I have been taking my car to him for the last 4 years for my mods and now he does my regular service, he is fast and always gets it right the first round. I have had extensive experience with various performance shops before with my previous AMG, Tommy is in a league of his own, a sheer genius. Of course for warranty issues you have to go the dealership route

As long as you don't have mods on your car Longo is ok. According to Longo SA they don't work with too many F's there. Even Tommy @musicbox says the same thing. Tommy's advice was that for a mod friendly dealership and for an SA that knows F cars quite well you should go to Lexus of Westiminster and ask for Phillip Tran. If you look at yelp you will see people who drive all the way from LA just to have their car serviced by Phillip.
Great piece of advice! I am willing to take it there, it's just a little further. Maybe I should just do my 20k service as I am at 17K and it's a 2019.
Old 04-23-22, 01:21 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,521 Likes on 660 Posts

The only obvious "loose" part that's around that area is the plastic under panel, the one with the foot well light. It basically just clips on at front and there's two protrusions in the back area that inserts into plastic holes under the dash. These protrusions have foam wrapped around them to keep the panel from rattling around the holes. Maybe check if those are firmly secured in the holes. I've added some foam on mine to keep it from making any kind of noise. Just a suggestion. My panel looks different cause I trimmed it to clear an aftermarket unit.

Last edited by JT2MA71; 04-23-22 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-23-22, 09:07 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
The only obvious "loose" part that's around that area is the plastic under panel, the one with the foot well light. It basically just clips on at front and there's two protrusions in the back area that inserts into plastic holes under the dash. These protrusions have foam wrapped around them to keep the panel from rattling around the holes. Maybe check if those are firmly secured in the holes. I've added some foam on mine to keep it from making any kind of noise. Just a suggestion. My panel looks different cause I trimmed it to clear an aftermarket unit.

Great suggestion. Where did you place the foam exactly though? I might have a rattle in the center console area - it's hard for me to tell I need my wife to drive so I can just listen.
Old 04-26-22, 09:06 PM
orys
Pit Crew

After further driving the main rattle is coming from the passenger side dashboard top part. When I press on the upper side of the dash it stops. Secondary rattle is from the steering column - when I press on the plastic park under the column it pretty much stops…
Old 04-27-22, 05:53 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by orys
After further driving the main rattle is coming from the passenger side dashboard top part. When I press on the upper side of the dash it stops. Secondary rattle is from the steering column - when I press on the plastic park under the column it pretty much stops…
Some of the roads around my house are bot very smooth. I also have a small rattle that will make itself known on those roads. i found that behind the steering wheel on the left side, you will find a seam when two parts of the housing around the steering column meet. Just touching it with my finger while driving silences it up.
Old 05-10-24, 07:37 PM
SWeatherly
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fixed my problem with that passenger side dash rider...

Originally Posted by rp2000r
I will check that area. I need to go for a ride on the passenger side to help narrow it down.
The sound resembles a plastic rattle but who knows. Super annoying sound is all I can say.
lol
The issue I had was with the glove box itself. You can remove the box completely and see if the rattles goes away. If so, then the problem is with the back of the glove box.. there are three screws that hold the glove box together and causes the two mating pieces of plastic to touch.. It looks like over time the plastics rub together back there and cause this strange rattle noise. It sounded like coins rattling around in the glove box... all kinds of different strange noises because of this. The problem is that after you remove the screws there's no way to disassemble the glove box completely because it seems to be welded in some way.
. But not to worry, you need some lithium grease and you need to grease the points where the plastics rub and touch against each other. Once you take it apart, you'll see what I mean. You're able to replicate the noise by pressing on certain points in that glove box once it's out of the car. That completely eliminated my rattling noise and believe me it drove me insane intermittently for about a year... that fix my problem completely. Let me know if this works for you
The following users liked this post:
MCB1970 (05-13-24)