RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Discussion: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 vs XL-Version Pilot Sport 4S

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-19, 12:42 PM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Potenza's are great tires until you hit roughly 60% and then the road noise is deafening
Old 07-05-19, 03:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Potenza covers a pretty broad range of Bridgestone models. Which ones are you talking about?
Old 07-05-19, 07:10 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

RE71 not great for heavy cars like ours if driven long/hard in hot weather.
Many autoX guys run em because they don’t run long enough to get em greasy. Plus most are in light cars.
Would be a really good tire for cars like BRZ or 350z.
Guess it would be fine for a daily tire. For circuit...no thanks.

A good tire that many people don’t look at is Yokohama AD08R.
Its an awesome tire. Great side wall. Good wet traction. Good treadwear. Road noise is a bit more than Michelin though.
Old 07-14-19, 12:34 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I just got a set of PS4S and would like to know what pressure I should use. I think this is the best thread to ask this question since it's car model's specific. BTW, I got the XL version.
Old 07-14-19, 01:02 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Standard pressure which is shown on the inside of the door jamb. You can then experiment slightly up or down if you want a different feel. They are stiffer than pss that came on the car and I don’t feel the need to overinflate for a sharper feel as I have done on some other tires/cars.
Old 07-14-19, 01:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I use cold 38 psi rear and 36 psi front on PSS when the car has been sitting in the garage overnight. You can try that out and see how you like it. I keep it slightly lower in the front to keep the front end "bite" and steering feel at turn-in. If I got 38 psi front, the I lose all road feel and front end becomes a bit "jumpy". Maybe, PS4S is better in that respect and transmits more road feel than the PSS (I have heard it does), but definitely worth a try.
Old 07-14-19, 05:52 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Since you just bought those tires, you are aware of the cost and the short tread life. Be aware that running non standard pressure could affect tire life. It may not matter if it is not your everyday car or you simply need that additional level of performance out of it.
Old 07-14-19, 06:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Short tread life compared to what? I've been running them on my IS F and they're easily tracking to 30k miles for the set. I wouldn't call that short for a performance tire at all.
Old 07-14-19, 07:10 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Compared to what your average Lexus buyer may be used to. I don’t know his background and so I say that to ensure he considers it. I have the tires, I expect 20k which is around when I needed to replace the PSS. 30k would be fine for me since I don’t drive it every day. Since he got summer tires, maybe he doesn’t either.
Old 07-14-19, 07:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Apone
Compared to what your average Lexus buyer may be used to. I don’t know his background and so I say that to ensure he considers it. I have the tires, I expect 20k which is around when I needed to replace the PSS. 30k would be fine for me since I don’t drive it every day. Since he got summer tires, maybe he doesn’t either.
I hear you, but looking at his list of cars, I'd say he's familiar with the kind of tire life we all expect from the sport platforms. The way I drive, I typically get 30k to a set of Michelin or Bridgestone OEM tires. I adjust my air pressure monthly to track ambient temperature and to replace any air lost through natural causes, so I tend to get a little bit better mileage than average, but still I doubt anyone here is expecting to get 50k on a set of tires. If they are, they didn't do their homework before they bought the car. Lexus says as little as 15k...I am sure if you really tried you could burn up a set of rears pretty quickly!
Old 07-14-19, 07:56 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Apology, I’m on mobile and could not see the car list. It said profile was rookie and so that’s my bad. As far as tires until recently my commute totaled 32k a year so my antennae happen to be up on tire life! I also check them regularly because I don’t want to buy any prematurely. Back in the day I made the error of daily running an auto cross tire pressure I had been given by another competitor. It wore unevenly and taught me a bit of a lesson.
Old 07-14-19, 09:14 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for chiming in. Yes I'm aware of the short life of the low-profile tires. Since I was an IS model die-hard, I trolled the other website all those years. I only started coming in here since I got the RCF. All my cars were lowered either on springs or coilovers. so I never got much more than 25k miles out of any set of tires. This time I also got the SPC adjustable upper control arms installed in the rear. I have Swift springs BTW. Interestingly, the front tires were ok, but the rears were wiped out on the inside edge so badly that there was a groove in it.
The following users liked this post:
Apone (07-19-19)
Old 07-15-19, 12:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by buister
Thanks for chiming in. Yes I'm aware of the short life of the low-profile tires. Since I was an IS model die-hard, I trolled the other website all those years. I only started coming in here since I got the RCF. All my cars were lowered either on springs or coilovers. so I never got much more than 25k miles out of any set of tires. This time I also got the SPC adjustable upper control arms installed in the rear. I have Swift springs BTW. Interestingly, the front tires were ok, but the rears were wiped out on the inside edge so badly that there was a groove in it.
That's usually a toe problem, not a pressure problem. You would have to have your pressure way off to have inside edge wear with a good alignment.
Old 07-18-19, 01:14 PM
BretTravis
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Yokohama AD08Rs and the PS4S would allow a 275/30 275/35 setup Cup 2s would require stock 255-275 or questionable 275/35 all four corners. Which would you recommend for daily driver 7-10 HPDE events yearly? (I have not been too happy with the 4S; but, it is undoubtedly my lack of skill)
Old 07-18-19, 01:16 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by BretTravis
The Yokohama AD08Rs and the PS4S would allow a 275/30 275/35 setup Cup 2s would require stock 255-275 or questionable 275/35 all four corners. Which would you recommend for daily driver 7-10 HPDE events yearly? (I have not been too happy with the 4S; but, it is undoubtedly my lack of skill)
Did you get the more aggressive XL versions? In stock size, they are both available in SL and XL.

Quick Reply: Discussion: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 vs XL-Version Pilot Sport 4S