RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Strange Unhealthy sound from behind drivers seat rear. What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 06:59 AM
picklebush
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Strange Unhealthy sound from behind drivers seat rear. What is it?

I can't seem to figure it out yet, but it's been intermittent. It's sounding like either a "vacuum" gas tank pump dying or possibly a fuel pump. But I doubt the latter. Once it starts, it hums pretty consistent but a few times I have heard it "wave in and out".

Originally when it started a month ago, I thought it was the Aux fans on front of car trying to cool the radiator and I was hearing it, but nope. I lifted hood today while it was on and I could not hear any humming up front. but sitting in the drivers seat, it sounds like its coming from behind and under.

I just got the 30K service (at 26,800) and they didn't catch anything (assuming they look for system codes it might have flagged as a faulty item).

Any thoughts?
Old 05-20-19, 07:09 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

When you have the ventilated seats on and lean forward in your seat the sound of the fans
change a bit. If they are on try turning them down or off and move around and listen again.
Old 05-20-19, 07:13 AM
picklebush
Driver

Originally Posted by mcomer
When you have the ventilated seats on and lean forward in your seat the sound of the fans
change a bit. If they are on try turning them down or off and move around and listen again.
Thanks for the reply. I have heard the seat fans before, and I'm gonna guess this sound is about 3x louder and I'm pretty sure it's not the seat fan. I will turn it off and see if the humming stops, but I'm telling you it's not a soft sound in the distance it's a "in your face humming" that I would say it's a strong 3/10. I think the seat fan is about a 1/10, pretty soft and you have to work to hear it.

You can hear the humming with the radio on, thats how loud it seems and you can even hear it outside of the car with the car running. :O
Old 05-20-19, 03:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by picklebush
Thanks for the reply. I have heard the seat fans before, and I'm gonna guess this sound is about 3x louder and I'm pretty sure it's not the seat fan. I will turn it off and see if the humming stops, but I'm telling you it's not a soft sound in the distance it's a "in your face humming" that I would say it's a strong 3/10. I think the seat fan is about a 1/10, pretty soft and you have to work to hear it.

You can hear the humming with the radio on, thats how loud it seems and you can even hear it outside of the car with the car running. :O
The first time I heard it in the GS F I really thought there was some kind of static on the radio making a horrible sound. It was for sure the ventilators on high setting.
Old 05-20-19, 05:59 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Could this be the fuel pump issue which Lexus will fix for free? I forget the wording/terminology of the TSB but I heard of this before if it’s that.
The following users liked this post:
picklebush (05-21-19)
Old 05-20-19, 11:34 PM
Koreatown
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do what I did and go to your dealer and show them this. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...87546-5448.pdf

They tend to do the other recall and miss this one. Haven't heard the noise since. It will be free.

The following users liked this post:
picklebush (05-21-19)
Old 05-21-19, 05:45 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Sounds

Never experienced such a sound as you describe here. Hope the Fuel Pump TSB fixed it for you!

There should be a Thread here on strange sounds. Lately I hear a distinct rattle of some sort over my right shoulder. Not sure if its within the Moon Roof or its further back near right rear window. I'm a wicked stickler when it comes to picking up strange, unanswered noise inside the cabin!
Old 05-21-19, 06:48 AM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree. There should be a thread for weird sounds. My drivers seat does a weird clump click sound when I am adjusting the recline portion of the seat back.

I hope the OP gets his problem resolved and reports back to the thread. That is indeed the best way for us to know if this is isolated or something that we will all experience during ownership.
Old 05-21-19, 08:33 AM
picklebush
Driver

Originally Posted by BlueRCF10
Could this be the fuel pump issue which Lexus will fix for free? I forget the wording/terminology of the TSB but I heard of this before if it’s that.
Wow, I missed a bunch of replies. yeah, this is the winner.

The low pressure fuel pump is very loud and there is a ECU flash that makes it pump way less, wo affecting performance. Waiting on the update from the dealer now.
Old 05-21-19, 08:36 AM
picklebush
Driver

Originally Posted by Koreatown
Do what I did and go to your dealer and show them this. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...87546-5448.pdf

They tend to do the other recall and miss this one. Haven't heard the noise since. It will be free.
This is the double winner with the PDF linked! I guess with driving it 6K a year and they didn't notice it. It was not loud during my first month or so of owning it, now I cannot stand it. Hoping it kinda goes away.
Old 05-21-19, 09:20 AM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad you got all sorted. It's for sure that and I didn't have the noise but I got it done when I did my main fuel pump recall to avoid it in the future.
Old 05-22-19, 11:54 AM
picklebush
Driver

Thanks for everyone that assisted in this! When I walked into the service advisor's office, he said "That TSB you sent me was exactly the issue"! YAY!

Hopefully anyone in the future can search and find this thread. IDK why we don't have a sub forum for strange sounds, kinda makes sense. OR maybe PROBLEM SOLVED area? Is there one I'm not seeing?