2020 RCF Black Moldings

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-19, 11:52 AM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Received 336 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Just Do It!

Originally Posted by Apone
That before and after pic says it all. The chrome adds too much visual weight to the back quarter of the car. Looks bulbous or something. Looks worlds better without it. And now I'm just kicking myself at even thinking about this.....$$$
I was the guinea pig in this project. It’s a no brainer for everyone who loves their RCF. Don’t replace the roof rail weatherstrips (subtract $330.00) and send it to a glass shop that might be just save a couple hundred dollars too from the $1,400.00 it cost me having the Lexus dealer do it all. And 10.5% of that is sales tax. If you have a buddy that has a shop you could spend as low as $600 if he does the installation for free. I replaced the weatherstrips since they had to be re-installed anyway and after four years were showing some wear where the corner edge of the window hits it every time you close the door with the window closed. It really looks great on my Molten Pearl RCF and I personally think that it would on all colors. It’s been 4 days since I’ve had it done and yesterday an older gentleman shouted out to me “ Your car is really cool !” An improvement that won’t crack, peel, shrink, or chip.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-21-19 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Words
The following 2 users liked this post by RCFGrandpa:
Apone (05-06-19), BossMoss (05-04-19)
Old 05-04-19, 12:55 PM
Sit
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It definitely looks like a project for me too. I'll have to get some prices next time I am at the dealer. 10.5% sales tax... ouch. I thought the 8% here in the Cleveland area was bad.

Originally Posted by RCFGrandpa
I was the guinea pig in this project. It’s a no brainer for everyone who loves their RCF. Don’t replace the roof rail weatherstrips (subtract $330.00) and send it to a glass shop that might be just save a couple hundred dollars too from the $1,400.00 it cost me having the Lexus dealer do it all. And 10.5% of that is sales tax. If you have a buddy that has a shop you could spend as low as $600 if he does the installation for free. I replaced the weatherstrips since they had to be re-installed anyway and after four years were showing some wear where the corner edge of the window hits it every time you close the door with the window closed. It really looks great on my Molten Pearl RCF and I personally think that it would on all colors. It’s been 4 days since I’ve had it done and yesterday an older gentleman shouted out to me “ Your car is really cool !” An improvement that won’t crack, peel, shrink, or chip.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-21-19 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-04-19, 04:44 PM
tekjunke
Rookie

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

This is an awesome mod, thanks for sharing!

by chance do you have the extra weather strip part number (the $330 part you added during the install)
Old 05-04-19, 06:17 PM
e2dag
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I talked to my service advisor today and asked about getting these parts swapped. She said that if the parts needed to be drilled out it would be about $500 per side on labor. I'm guessing the don't need to be drilled out, right?
The following users liked this post:
RCFGrandpa (05-04-19)
Old 05-04-19, 06:32 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by e2dag
I talked to my service advisor today and asked about getting these parts swapped. She said that if the parts needed to be drilled out it would be about $500 per side on labor. I'm guessing the don't need to be drilled out, right?
Just what parts on a Lexus would EVER need to be drilled out? That seems like an ignorant statement - either that or I am the ignorant one...
RCFGrandpa (05-04-19)
Old 05-04-19, 07:09 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Default Refund?

Originally Posted by Limelight
^^ Definitely an improvement and how it should come from the factory. Well done!
Maybe Lexus will refund my $1,400.00 and take my old moldings and quarter windows? LOL
Old 05-04-19, 07:37 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Default No Drilling!

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Just what parts on a Lexus would EVER need to be drilled out? That seems like an ignorant statement - either that or I am the ignorant one...
Labor from my Lexus dealer was $474.00 and that included 10.5% sales tax.I dropped my RCF off at 10:30am and it was ready at 3:00pm. The quarter windows are held in by clips(included with the new windows) and windshield sealer. I’ve attached a photo of the quarter window from the inside. The interior trim panels did not have to be removed. I can give you a toll free number if you want to give your service advisor to discuss installation with my advisor at Lexus of Seattle. I was told that there’s a possibility of the original quarter window getting cracked during the removal. Mine did not crack. The installation is not that bad as it seems. I have my Lexus dealer do everything so the work is warranted and they treat me the same as if I needed regular service work.(They treat their customers with first class service) I even got a brand new 2019 RX loaner with only seven miles on it. I’m not sure where you are from but here on the “left coast” in Seattle, we have the highest labor rates in the country. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I still think it’s a great addition for all pre 2020 RCF’s and the cost is well worth it.

Apone (05-06-19)
Old 05-04-19, 07:45 PM
e2dag
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks! I'm in SoCal. I go to Cerritos Lexus. I also asked about having to send it to a glass shop but my advisor said that they have someone come to them for anything glass related. I'm really thinking about getting it done. I'll ask another dealer about install cost because without the "drilling" they quoted me $330 per side.
Mingofish (05-17-19)
Old 05-04-19, 08:25 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Default Glass Shop

Thanks! I'm in SoCal. I go to Cerritos Lexus. I also asked about having to send it to a glass shop but my advisor said that they have someone come to them for anything glass related. I'm really thinking about getting it done. I'll ask another dealer about install cost because without the "drilling" they quoted me $330 per side.
My dealer did sublet to a glass shop so my price from Seattle Lexus included a certain percentage mark-up. I just like dropping it off and picking it up when done. I guess my $474.00 for complete installation for everything is some what of a deal. You will be happy when it’s done.
The following 2 users liked this post by RCFGrandpa:
Apone (05-06-19), e2dag (05-04-19)
Old 05-17-19, 01:17 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Default No Drilling!

I talked with my advisor and he said that the window does not have to be drilled. It’s held in by clips and adhesive. He did say that there’s a slight chance of the old windows cracking when being removed but did not happen in my case. It was actually a fast and easy installation. I didn’t need new weatherstrips but decided to replace them since they had to be removed for the molding swap. My Lexus dealer sublet the job to a glass shop they do business with. My labor invoice was $434.00 plus tax and included a sublet markup of 40%. So you could go directly to your local glass shop and get an even better deal than I got. I just prefer to drop it off at Lexus, they give me a loaner, and pick it up when it’s done. You can use the photos of the quarter window I have posted on this project for reference. It’s been two weeks since and I have no regrets. Lexus should have had these black moldings as standard equipment from day one.
The following 4 users liked this post by RCFGrandpa:
46750 (05-18-19), Apone (05-17-19), BossMoss (05-17-19), SKGT (05-18-19)
Old 05-17-19, 07:29 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

I have no idea. I didn’t argue. You can have your Lexus dealer quote prices but this is what Lexus of Seattle charged me. Paid for parts before installation. Appointment is in three weeks because I don’t drive my RCF in the rain and it’s in the forecast for the week two plus weeks.
I decided to purchase these instead of painting or wrapping them because I am a stickler for detail. When I spent over $4,000 for the orange brake calipers was told that I should just paint my black calipers and put the “F” sticker on it. I had my calipers installed in January of 2016 and no paint or decals have deteriorated with all the wash’s otherwise they would look crappy now instead of still looking new. Parts designed to withstand the elements for more than a couple months is the reason for purchasing the genuine Lexus parts.
you got the new mirrors?! i’ve been wanting to source them out to see if they’d fit on my IS. i think it would look killer
Old 05-17-19, 07:51 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Default 2020 RCF Exterior Mirrors

Originally Posted by jmull3r
you got the new mirrors?! i’ve been wanting to source them out to see if they’d fit on my IS. i think it would look killer
Looks like more chrome on the new mirrors. I’m trying to get rid of the chrome.
BossMoss (05-17-19)
Old 06-05-19, 09:02 AM
detinater
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like more chrome on the new mirrors. I’m trying to get rid of the chrome.
Where did you get the 2020 mirrors from? Everywhere I've looked they aren't in stock.
Old 06-21-19, 08:24 AM
GR4NR1C3RF
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The '20+ mirror assembly part numbers: '20 right side mirror (87910-24650-XX), '20 left side mirror (87940-24650-XX). They're ~$500 each. They look SICK!
Color code:
A0 = ultra white
B1 = atomic silver
B2 = nebula gray
C1 = caviar (black)
D0 = infrared
E0 = molten pearl (orange)
F0 = flare yellow
J0 = ultra sonic blue mica 2.0

Last edited by GR4NR1C3RF; 05-11-20 at 07:02 AM. Reason: updated paint codes
Old 06-21-19, 08:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

TIS says no drilling necessary. Your SA didn't check the procedure.

Not ignorant at all. Many of the upper weatherstrips are held in place by small pop rivets. I guarantee you they are on Supras and SCs.

Quick Reply: 2020 RCF Black Moldings