RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

So it begins: My exhaust thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 09:43 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Apone
easier to leave them and cut later than to cut now and then regret, no?
Yeah, I am going to test drive it first and see how the cabin tone/pitch/loudness/bass is and if I think I need more, I will get them removed. The shop is recommending I drive it for a few hundred miles at least before making a decision so it all depends on how I feel once I take the first drive after it has been installed.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (04-04-19)
Old 04-03-19, 03:51 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Any update Rolla? I'm getting mine (invidia) in tomorrow, and hopefully will get it installed before the weekend. Curious to hear your impressions though
Old 04-03-19, 04:35 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RCFCoop
Any update Rolla? I'm getting mine (invidia) in tomorrow, and hopefully will get it installed before the weekend. Curious to hear your impressions though
Yeah, took tomorrow off from work and getting installed. I will try and post impressions fairly quickly followed by videos as well once I put them up on youtube.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-03-19 at 05:12 PM.
GunnyFitz (04-04-19)
Old 04-04-19, 12:58 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yeah, took tomorrow off from work and getting installed. I will try and post impressions fairly quickly followed by videos as well once I put them up on youtube.
just curious if you used the F to transport the exhaust to the shop? The box is HUGE! Lol
Old 04-04-19, 01:21 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

just curious if you used the F to transport the exhaust to the shop? The box is HUGE! Lol
Yeah, I anticipated that and had it directly shipped to the shop. Brought back the stock mufflers in the trunk. OEM mid pipe is too big (measured at 6'2" length) so I will take my daily driver Corolla XRS and lay it diagonally across the car to bring it back.
Old 04-04-19, 01:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

It is on. Got it installed today. Don't have high quality pictures yet especially with the titanium burnt blue tips and the car was dirty (still dirt has not come off from storing in the winter). Although, I have taken 4K HDR videos that I will be putting you on youtube.

First Impressions:

Quality is amazing. The fit, finish, welds and the burnt blue tip all are masterfully manufactured. For the price, it is hard to believe the level of attention to detail. One has to really see in real life to appreciate the workmanship. Sound wise, I listened to Invidia videos for 2 years in headphones and they don't do justice. There are so many textures and layers to the exhaust sound that the mic does not capture. The piping diameter is 2.75 inches and there are no secondary cats. Only primary cats, resonators and mufflers. Installation was very straight forward and shop took less than an hour to install it. Most of the time was removing the braces and shields from the bottom and putting them back.

The sound is proportional to the revs. It gets louder, the higher the revs. So, in the midranges, one can definitely hear it especially with the windows down, but really it starts coming alive at around 6000 rpm and gets the loudest near redline. No drone at all. The sound leans more towards exotic than muscle car sound (which I feel Borla seems to lean towards). Revving at idle, all of the girls and guys from the shop came out to take a video of the revving (will post it up in a while) and I could feel vibrations in the ground while standing behind it. I immediately abandoned the idea of going for a resonator delete for now. Maybe, eventually or next year, I might revisit getting resonator delete on the Invidia, but for now it is perfect.

Now, on to the power gains. Yes, they definitely are there and not a placebo effect due to increased noise. The 18 whp dyno gains do feel real since the car revs a lot faster with more urgency in the midranges. From idle to 3500 rpm, the torque band seems very similar to stock with some added noise in the cabin from the exhaust. From 4000 rpm to 5500 rpm, one notices the increased midrange torque. I had two very heavy mufflers and pipes in the trunk and the car was hitting rev limiter every time I would stab it. From 5500 rpm to rev limiter, it really becomes dramatic where on freeway acceleration 2nd gear from 50 mph, I broke traction easily before the car bolted forward and then slammed into rev limiter.

All in all, I am very pleased with the purchase. I think this suits my taste the best. If I want a bit more texture, layers and maybe some loudness, I can go with the resonator delete.

Videos will be coming shortly as I upload them on youtube.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-04-19 at 01:51 PM.
Apone (04-05-19)
Old 04-04-19, 02:19 PM
randbrus
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sold me on it. I kept going back and forth between this and ARK. I read that there is a decent amount of cabin noise with ARK depending who you ask. Thanks for the detailed info!
Old 04-04-19, 02:38 PM
Limelight
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Great preliminary write up. Sounds intoxicating!

You clearly put a lot of effort and research into your decision so now comes the time to enjoy. I have a funny feeling Summer 2019 will be a good one for you

As an FYI, what is the price difference installed of Invidia vs Borla? Is it a big jump?
Old 04-04-19, 03:08 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Originally Posted by Limelight

You clearly put a lot of effort and research into your decision so now comes the time to enjoy. I have a funny feeling Summer 2019 will be a good one for you

As an FYI, what is the price difference installed of Invidia vs Borla? Is it a big jump?
It's about 4-$600 difference depending on where you get it. hit up Josh at Meraki, great prices and got here quick.

It is on. Got it installed today. Don't have high quality pictures yet especially with the titanium burnt blue tips and the car was dirty (still dirt has not come off from storing in the winter). Although, I have taken 4K HDR videos that I will be putting you on youtube.

First Impressions:

Quality is amazing. The fit, finish, welds and the burnt blue tip all are masterfully manufactured. For the price, it is hard to believe the level of attention to detail. One has to really see in real life to appreciate the workmanship. Sound wise, I listened to Invidia videos for 2 years in headphones and they don't do justice. There are so many textures and layers to the exhaust sound that the mic does not capture. The piping diameter is 2.75 inches and there are no secondary cats. Only primary cats, resonators and mufflers. Installation was very straight forward and shop took less than an hour to install it. Most of the time was removing the braces and shields from the bottom and putting them back.

The sound is proportional to the revs. It gets louder, the higher the revs. So, in the midranges, one can definitely hear it especially with the windows down, but really it starts coming alive at around 6000 rpm and gets the loudest near redline. No drone at all. The sound leans more towards exotic than muscle car sound (which I feel Borla seems to lean towards). Revving at idle, all of the girls and guys from the shop came out to take a video of the revving (will post it up in a while) and I could feel vibrations in the ground while standing behind it. I immediately abandoned the idea of going for a resonator delete for now. Maybe, eventually or next year, I might revisit getting resonator delete on the Invidia, but for now it is perfect.

Now, on to the power gains. Yes, they definitely are there and not a placebo effect due to increased noise. The 18 whp dyno gains do feel real since the car revs a lot faster with more urgency in the midranges. From idle to 3500 rpm, the torque band seems very similar to stock with some added noise in the cabin from the exhaust. From 4000 rpm to 5500 rpm, one notices the increased midrange torque. I had two very heavy mufflers and pipes in the trunk and the car was hitting rev limiter every time I would stab it. From 5500 rpm to rev limiter, it really becomes dramatic where on freeway acceleration 2nd gear from 50 mph, I broke traction easily before the car bolted forward and then slammed into rev limiter.

All in all, I am very pleased with the purchase. I think this suits my taste the best. If I want a bit more texture, layers and maybe some loudness, I can go with the resonator delete.

Videos will be coming shortly as I upload them on youtube.

Man I can't wait! Looks good too!
Yeah, I anticipated that and had it directly shipped to the shop. Brought back the stock mufflers in the trunk. OEM mid pipe is too big (measured at 6'2" length) so I will take my daily driver Corolla XRS and lay it diagonally across the car to bring it back.
Guess i'll be borrowing the GX from the wife. Shop can't get me in until Monday. Smart move having it shipped to the shop though, wish I would've thought of that
Old 04-04-19, 03:58 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

It's about 4-$600 difference depending on where you get it. hit up Josh at Meraki, great prices and got here quick.
Yeah, very little difference. They are almost the same in price. However, the Invidia has burnt blue titanium tips. That was one of the major things about Invidia that weighed in favor as it looks like the stock exhaust with the burnt blue tips and the silver mufflers.

Man I can't wait! Looks good too!
Yeah, you will be happy. It leans more towards smooth and melodic than brutal and "fat" (spreading sideways) type of sound. I will put up video soon.

Guess i'll be borrowing the GX from the wife. Shop can't get me in until Monday. Smart move having it shipped to the shop though, wish I would've thought of that
Yeah, I researched the measurements and the box came out to be over 5 foot long so I had it directly shipped to the shop.

Thanks. Yeah, it is going to be a fun summer. My tires are going, but I can squeeze another season out. I am looking forward to putting Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (RCF track-edition spec).
Old 04-04-19, 07:04 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

tapping fingers waiting for video

I won't derail you here but I had to get the 4S on as my MPSS were toast. They are as advertised, stiffer and more planted but introduce some ride reduction. Completely acceptable trade for me.
Old 04-04-19, 07:09 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I shot these in 4K HDR, but youtube downgraded them to 1080p HD. The sound simply did not come through the way it was in real life. It is most likely because the mic is on the opposite side. Everyone's jaw dropped when it was revved. I could feel the vibrations in the ground standing behind it.

Anyway, here are some initial videos. In the next couple of weeks, I will try and see if I can get some more

The following 3 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
Apone (04-05-19), konichiwa3 (04-04-19), SoSlow (04-05-19)
Old 04-04-19, 07:23 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

I shot these in 4K HDR, but youtube downgraded them to 1080p HD. The sound simply did not come through the way it was in real life. It is most likely because the mic is on the opposite side. Everyone's jaw dropped when it was revved. I could feel the vibrations in the ground standing behind it.

Anyway, here are some initial videos. In the next couple of weeks, I will try and see if I can get some more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwMkKIJ02jo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_dxMGEounM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVImkwgjGu8
phhh yesss the correct choice was made!
Old 04-05-19, 04:28 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

You might want to talk to your installer. The spring bolts go to the header connection. They have the header hard bolted and the springs at the rear.

05RollaXRS (04-05-19)
Old 04-05-19, 06:13 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoSlow
You might want to talk to your installer. The spring bolts go to the header connection. They have the header hard bolted and the springs at the rear.

https://youtu.be/meMQnOVTPqU
Thanks. I will check. I saw the spring bolts on OEM exhaust were on the rears as I took them off myself as they extended out quite far as I was trying to fit mufflers/rear pipes in the RCF trunk. I have a stock video of the underbody as well. Once I took them off, they both fit in the trunk. Probably, that is why. I will check with them and see what they say.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-05-19 at 06:27 AM.

Quick Reply: So it begins: My exhaust thread