RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

TVD Service Interval(?!?!?!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 08:20 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

GSF owner here.. so based on what MingoFish said.. i should have my lexus dealer change my differential fluid at 10k miles? My car just hit 10k after 2 years of ownership. Should i be changing the tranny fluid too?
Old 02-20-19, 08:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraGSF
GSF owner here.. so based on what MingoFish said.. i should have my lexus dealer change my differential fluid at 10k miles? My car just hit 10k after 2 years of ownership. Should i be changing the tranny fluid too?
The gearbox oil is very long lived. We've been debating this in the IS F forum for years.

I wouldn't change the diff oil with less than 20k miles on it. Even that is pretty short.
Old 02-21-19, 10:23 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraGSF
If you took it to Lexus, they would prob refuse to service it. If I had to guess the service techs probably never done it.
I’m not saying it’s hard to do. Just that there is no protocol to service it.

yes 10k is very short duration.
I wanted to find out for myself if there were sludge and metal flakes in there.
Not much data out there at the time.
There were very little debris in the tvd pods, but the diff was a different story.

Persobally I would recommended changing the diff fluid. But that’s me. Do what you feel is right.
Most peeps look at me crazy when I say I changed my gear lub at 10k. But I like messing with my car. If you’re just doing normal street driving, I prob wouldn’t bother.

Old 02-21-19, 11:36 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
https://www.google.com/search?q=41100-29005

Check it and cry. This is for the entire unit with both left and right electrically managed clutches. $19+k.
Now I feel like an M4/M3 owner with a broken 1st gen DCT trans. Who says you can't get the german car experience with japanese company

Hell, it's under $5k to replace the faulty IMS bearing on a Cayman.

I will take solace in the fact that neither of those cars have a 70k mile warranty and that we won't be out in the cold on this. But man, a failure outside of warranty would be a sad day.

@lobuxracer - can the TVD be replaced with a traditional diff? One would obviously only do this if the TVD failed to avoid the $20K outlay.
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (02-21-19)
Old 02-21-19, 12:16 PM
Bluecarbon
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Apone
Now I feel like an M4/M3 owner with a broken 1st gen DCT trans. Who says you can't get the german car experience with japanese company

Hell, it's under $5k to replace the faulty IMS bearing on a Cayman.

I will take solace in the fact that neither of those cars have a 70k mile warranty and that we won't be out in the cold on this. But man, a failure outside of warranty would be a sad day.

@lobuxracer - can the TVD be replaced with a traditional diff? One would obviously only do this if the TVD failed to avoid the $20K outlay.
There’s a thread from a month ago that has a comparison video (RCF vs M4) that has a JDM PP RCF with a TVD delete so it’s possible. Rolla knows which video I’m talking about. I’m in the same boat as you so it’s good to know.
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (02-21-19)
Old 02-21-19, 01:49 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

I recall seeing the listed $20k unit price for the TVD several years back and was always curious how Lexus and the RCF/GSF owners would resolve the issue of a broken TVD unit when the 72 month powertrain warranty expires. Based on the report of at least one TVD going bad, it shows that these components are not entirely bulletproof. Though there may not be a service interval for changing out the TVD fluids, my guess is that 30k-50k would be a good range.

If replacing an out-of-warranty TVD with a Torsen LSD is possible, it would be interesting to see how the ECU would react as it will attempt to send signals to the missing TVD to lock or release the clutch packs.

IIRC, the rear half shafts on the TVD equipped RCFs are of different lengths and would likely need to be replaced with the half shafts used on the RCFs with Torsen LSDs.
Old 02-21-19, 02:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
I recall seeing the listed $20k unit price for the TVD several years back and was always curious how Lexus and the RCF/GSF owners would resolve the issue of a broken TVD unit when the 72 month powertrain warranty expires. Based on the report of at least one TVD going bad, it shows that these components are not entirely bulletproof. Though there may not be a service interval for changing out the TVD fluids, my guess is that 30k-50k would be a good range.

If replacing an out-of-warranty TVD with a Torsen LSD is possible, it would be interesting to see how the ECU would react as it will attempt to send signals to the missing TVD to lock or release the clutch packs.

IIRC, the rear half shafts on the TVD equipped RCFs are of different lengths and would likely need to be replaced with the half shafts used on the RCFs with Torsen LSDs.
I am certain replacing the TVD with a conventional LSD wouldn't be nearly as expensive as replacing the entire unit. That said, it's pretty unlikely you'll ever have to replace the whole thing as a unit. All the internal parts are available individually, so if something breaks you should be able to fix it at a much smaller cost.

If I were building a track car, I'd ditch the TVD and put an OS Giken TCD in it.
Old 12-14-19, 09:08 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Did we ever get consensus here? Just picked up a 18' GSF with 40k and wondering when I should service the diff
Old 12-14-19, 09:36 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Mine is at 10K miles. I am going to ask the dealership next year when I take it in for servicing regarding TVD fluid replacement. I think it is a good idea to have it replaced.
Old 12-15-19, 06:29 AM
MCB1970
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Mine is at 10K miles. I am going to ask the dealership next year when I take it in for servicing regarding TVD fluid replacement. I think it is a good idea to have it replaced.
It will interesting to see if the dealership will do it since it is not on the maintenance schedule. I spoke to local Lexus dealership and they said they would not do it because it is not recommended by Lexus. I spoke with the owner of an independent transmission shop who specializes in high end performance cars. He was familiar with the RCF and asked me if my car had the TVD. He recommended changing the transmission and TVD fluid at 100k.
Old 12-15-19, 09:39 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by MCB1970
It will interesting to see if the dealership will do it since it is not on the maintenance schedule. I spoke to local Lexus dealership and they said they would not do it because it is not recommended by Lexus. I spoke with the owner of an independent transmission shop who specializes in high end performance cars. He was familiar with the RCF and asked me if my car had the TVD. He recommended changing the transmission and TVD fluid at 100k.
I changed mine (TVD fluid and Diff oil) at 12K miles. I did it because I wanted to switch to Amsoil lubricants. The factory TVD fluid and Diff gear oil both looked new obviously since they've only seen 12K miles.