RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Too much oil after 20k service

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-19, 10:29 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Too much oil after 20k service

I took my car for a 20k service yesterday. The dealership is an hr and half away. After the car sat overnight, I checked the dip stick today and the oil level is a good 1/2" over the full mark. I checked it more than a dozen times. This can't be good. The paperwork shows 10 qt of Valvoline SynPower 5W-30. I imagine they don't charge partial qts, so not such exactly how much they put in??? I can't remember the last time I had someone else change my oil and this is exactly why.

What is the best method to remove the extra? I was thinking about sucking it out through the dipstick with a mityvac. I've done that previously to pull sample for Blackstone. Any idea how much over I am?
Old 02-17-19, 10:32 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Usually draining it is the best idea, but you will have to put the car on a lift (or on a jack). Maybe, take it back to the dealership and ask them to drain the extra?
Old 02-17-19, 03:29 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSlow
I took my car for a 20k service yesterday. The dealership is an hr and half away. After the car sat overnight, I checked the dip stick today and the oil level is a good 1/2" over the full mark. I checked it more than a dozen times. This can't be good. The paperwork shows 10 qt of Valvoline SynPower 5W-30. I imagine they don't charge partial qts, so not such exactly how much they put in??? I can't remember the last time I had someone else change my oil and this is exactly why.

What is the best method to remove the extra? I was thinking about sucking it out through the dipstick with a mityvac. I've done that previously to pull sample for Blackstone. Any idea how much over I am?
Pretty common with our cars, takes forever to drain and even when I do my own changes I rarely add the full 9.3q. Last time the dealer changed it I gave them 8.7 and it was still slightly over. 1/2" is probably only about 1/2q, maybe a little more. I seem to remember the first time I saw it about 1/2 again between low and full, it was 3/4q.

I rigged this up from a soap dispenser and vinyl tubing, quick alternative to a mityvac, cost less than $5. Let the engine cool a little first, but not cold. I drain into a glass jar....for a small amount its faster than the extractor.

I also have a Mityvac alternative, works pretty well, but takes a while:

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-17-19, 05:47 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

This happened to me twice during the first two "free oil changes" . At 5K and 10K.

First time I went back to have them drain the oil.

Second time I did it myself with a Mityvac.

I never went back again except for the recalls.

Old 02-17-19, 06:12 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ct6978
Pretty common with our cars, takes forever to drain and even when I do my own changes I rarely add the full 9.3q. Last time the dealer changed it I gave them 8.7 and it was still slightly over. 1/2" is probably only about 1/2q, maybe a little more. I seem to remember the first time I saw it about 1/2 again between low and full, it was 3/4q.

I rigged this up from a soap dispenser and vinyl tubing, quick alternative to a mityvac, cost less than $5. Let the engine cool a little first, but not cold. I drain into a glass jar....for a small amount its faster than the extractor.

I also have a Mityvac alternative, works pretty well, but takes a while:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's not a bad idea.
Old 02-17-19, 07:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I used vinyl tubing down the dipstick tube with an Alcatel 2008A vacuum pump I have had for years. Half an inch up will be close to a quart. I've found the wife's GS F uses 8.8 quarts on a change with filter. First oil change at Lexus came back overfilled almost 2 inches. I drained 2.5 quarts to get it back to the top mark.

As overfilled as you are, the oil is getting whipped up pretty badly by the crank. You would be wise to attend to this quickly.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-17-19 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 08:04 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

That's not a bad idea.
I found my car overfilled at night and didn't have an oil extractor, wandered around Lowes came up with this. Its cheap and easy, but sometimes a little messier than a real extractor. Now that I have the Hydro-Turf oil extractor (Mityvac alternative) I tend to use that if there's any significant amount to be removed.

I tried to fully extract the oil once, but only got about 8q out, so I still prefer the lift/drain if I have time. I'm taking our cars to the dealer for service these days, so having the ability to quickly take out excess gives me greater peace of mind.

I've had multiple brands of dealers overfill my cars, not just Toyota/Lexus.

Best of luck.
Old 02-18-19, 10:59 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Dealership overfilled oil on my first free oil change. About 3/4 inch over fill mark! Adjusted it myself taking excess out the dipstick tube.
On 2nd free oil change, had them check oil level first, prior to giving me the car back. They came back to me stating yes we overfilled it initially, but it's ok now.

Believe the Lexus service manual has a incorrect oil capacity number for the RCF, even though the owners manual may be correct.
The following users liked this post:
LRCSALES (02-18-19)
Old 02-18-19, 11:06 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I think this happens when they add exactly 10 quarts. My car takes in between 9.25 and 9.5. Its probably the lower level techs getting 10 individual quarts or clicking in on 10 units from the retractable unit in the ceiling of the shop

Old 02-18-19, 02:57 PM
mirza
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

take it back. Had to do it twice. You will get a really good flush of the oil
Old 02-18-19, 03:18 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bob67
Dealership overfilled oil on my first free oil change. About 3/4 inch over fill mark! Adjusted it myself taking excess out the dipstick tube.
On 2nd free oil change, had them check oil level first, prior to giving me the car back. They came back to me stating yes we overfilled it initially, but it's ok now.

Believe the Lexus service manual has a incorrect oil capacity number for the RCF, even though the owners manual may be correct.
The 2015 owner's manual was wrong (I'm assuming capacity hasn't changed) showing 9.8 Q, i've forgotten whether the service manual matched. I believe one of the years had the values switched (w/filter vs. w/o filter) too.

The 2018 (and I seem to remember, 2017) owner's manual and service manuals show 9.3q w/filter change, 8.3q w/o.

The only time I've been able to drain a full 9.3 is with a hot engine, both the drain plug and filter removed (instead of plug first, then replace, then filter) and draining for a long time.

Here's the oil chart from the 2015 owner's manual (I don't have the service page anymore), then 2016+ owner's manual, then the 2018 service manual:

Mingofish (02-19-19)
Old 02-19-19, 11:27 AM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Dealership overfilled mine on the first free service. It was about 3/4" over the full mark. I took it back and they tried to drain some out, got oil all over the tech and the floor, pretty amusing. Then they re-filled, and it was over again by about the same amount. Finally they figured out that the meter on the pump for the bulk oil was off, needed to be recalibrated. At least that is what they told me. I wonder how many Lexi were overfilled during that time? Never went back except for warranty services.
Old 02-19-19, 11:36 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ct6978
The 2015 owner's manual was wrong (I'm assuming capacity hasn't changed) showing 9.8 Q, i've forgotten whether the service manual matched. I believe one of the years had the values switched (w/filter vs. w/o filter) too.

The 2018 (and I seem to remember, 2017) owner's manual and service manuals show 9.3q w/filter change, 8.3q w/o.

The only time I've been able to drain a full 9.3 is with a hot engine, both the drain plug and filter removed (instead of plug first, then replace, then filter) and draining for a long time.

Here's the oil chart from the 2015 owner's manual (I don't have the service page anymore), then 2016+ owner's manual, then the 2018 service manual:

weird there is a difference nice catch. I also get the same draining a hot engine. also i will put the new filter in the housing dry and fill it with oil and let the filter fill up the fibers. then putting it in. I was learned this when i had a big turbo car. Was told this will help get oil to the pump faster on first startup.
Mingofish (02-19-19)
Old 02-22-19, 08:28 AM
louczar
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I gave up on "allowing" dealers to even give me free oil changes as they very seldom do it to the same expectations that I have. No overfills / under-fills, no oil dripping off due to their lack of effort to wipe it all off OR having to listen to them stating they found "other" things that need to be fixed or serviced. We bought a toyota sienna for my wife in 2005 that came with free oil changes for life. When I inquired in the cost for a timing belt replacement (when in for a free oil change), they told me that I needed to replace the water pump too. The van had 95K miles at the time. I went back only once more and never went back when they gave me a list of things that needed repair...that I checked out when I got hame and found it was all BS.

I took it to a friend of my wifes family who has a shop. he did the belt for $100 less than the dealer. We traded that vehicle in with 268K miles on it. NEVER replaced the water pump or anything else they "claimed" was needing work.
Old 02-23-19, 08:10 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Pulled about 1 qt out to get the level right. Filled 2 20z bottles about 3/4 of the way. MityVac worked perfectly, no issues. Slow going and the cup only hold 4oz, so it took 20-30 mins. Feel better now.

Quick Reply: Too much oil after 20k service