2015 RC F - Stereo Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 01:34 PM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 2015 RC F - Stereo Upgrades

Hello all,

I'm new to the Lexus world, previously coming from a 2003 Nissan 350z i bought new and i had for 16 years. I outgrew the 350z and decided to step things up with a used 2015 Lexus RC F. (Ultra white, grey interior, 16k miles) I have the standard stereo, the RC F I purchased didn't have the ML package. The stereo sounds great for a stock set up without a doubt, but coming from a fully upgraded system in my old car, it's a downgrade. It seems like upgrading the stereo's on these cars is rare because i'm finding a lack of details on most of what needs to happen. I'm not looking to shake windows coming down the street, but i'd like to add a single sub, preferably utilizing the rear speaker slot above the rear seats. Firstly, do you know what size that speaker is stock? Secondly, i saw a post about someone making custom brackets for the front door speakers, but has anyone done the rear sub yet? I want to try to prevent throwing a bass tube or speaker box in the trunk. In addition, i'm still trying to figure out how people piggy back off the wiring currently in the car verse pulling the dash and starting from scratch with a new head unit. (i'm not willing to switch it) End goal for now is to utilize the stock speaker set up, replacing the rear speaker with an 8-10" sub and replacing amp if stock amp doesn't do the trick. (i have an old school Kicker amp and fairly new subs from my old car) To be honest, i'm not used to the new tech in these cars so if i'm off base or hoping to achieve an unattainable outcome, please help steer me in the right direction.

Thank you all for reading, i am relieved that i was able to find a community for this car similar to what i had with the 350z.

Kind Regards
OldManRCF
Old 02-12-19, 05:37 AM
winglet
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Check the rear slot before buy a subwoofer. I had mine with a subwoofer disconnected on it, but we didn’t notice that until we started the works.
I have not ML on mine, so my upgrades has been Digital Amplifier Mosconi, soundproofing of doors and rear panel, Upgrade to ML front side speakers and Subwoofer connection.
Nice improvement from the stock non ML, but still far of the sound delivered from ML audio after 1600 Euros .

Last edited by winglet; 02-12-19 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-12-19, 10:30 AM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Thank you for the reply, I did check that rear slot and I do have a sub/speaker in there as well. I haven't checked yet to see if it is powered up. When you say disconnected, was there a wire harness jammed up there and not connected or was it missing entirely? I had a feeling they didn't change the production between the ML versions and non ML versions and figured there would be either the bracket for the sub (which there is) but I didn't think they would actually put the speaker in there as well and not connect it. (quite interesting) Reading your description, is it accurate to say that since my RC F is the non ML version, it doesn't have a separate amplifier? Where is the amp stored on the ML versions? Sorry for all the questions, forums and research can save a lot of heartache once you start digging in.
Old 02-12-19, 03:20 PM
winglet
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
Happy to know that you have your subwoofer on the slot already.
Mine was unpowered, but I don’t know if it had the harness to just plug and play. What I know is that all the rear areas was with no soundproofing at all and was prone to generate vibrations.
Regarding non ML versions I would say that we have not, a separate Amplifier.
Mine now, is inserted on the perfectly cutted off area under the trunk carpet (sorry for the picture)
I attach the speakers and Amplifier map for ML RCF.
Regards.

The following 3 users liked this post by winglet:
05RollaXRS (10-22-19), 2Insane (02-12-19), konichiwa3 (09-13-20)
Old 02-14-19, 05:48 AM
badboylex
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speakers

Hey can you tell me if anyone make a component set of speakers for our cars I have 2 10" JLauido w7 subs in a custom box with their 1200 watt amp.But I need mids and tweeter now.no one makes a 8" woofer for the doors that I have found.Thanks Elton
Old 10-22-19, 02:24 PM
GetHai92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 RC F deck lid removal

Noob question, but do anyone know how to remove the rear deck lid where the inverted sub is located? I tried un clipping the tabs above inside the trunk and removed the rear seats but this thing is not budging at all..
Old 11-14-19, 04:58 AM
winglet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GetHai92
Noob question, but do anyone know how to remove the rear deck lid where the inverted sub is located? I tried un clipping the tabs above inside the trunk and removed the rear seats but this thing is not budging at all..
Yes, you have to access through the tabs inside the trunk.

I have finally decided continuing working with my car audio, after being not possible to install with the ML original equipment that I bought at the States, due to the different pin configuration on the back of the equipment with my non ML car.
If somebody is interested in this almost new ML, please let me know.

I have gone now for a professional audio equipment on the trunk with ODR speakers taking advantage to the Ski hatch on the trunk to install the Subwoofer on a fiber box facing to the front.
Amazing Timbre on the RCF.
People who has been working on the car for first time, is very happy regarding the quality of the car frame, materials, easy work and noise isolation .

Old 08-31-20, 01:26 PM
RCFNN
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

what amp is this to fit the factory plugs im looking for a new amp bc mine keeps overheating