RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 10:40 AM
winglet
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Last day for my Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Has been nearly 15.000 Miles with a couple of times on the racetrack and couple of sporty mountain driving mornings. A little bit surprised that how the front left tire has ended on the track in comparison with the other front and rear.
It is true that I started on my second session (total of four of 20 minutes) with lower psi 2.4 on the left, instead of 2.6 psi on the right, due to the car was working harder the left tires (today 57º).

I am installing now the Michelin PS4S hoping that the stiffer sidewall on this tire will help a little bit more to do not pull off the tire like this. Anyway I think that the PSP has been working quite well for so many miles.

Last edited by winglet; 01-29-19 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 11:08 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Would really like to hear your thoughts once you install them. Though, initially they take a little while to break-in. PS4S is a great tire with extra load rated sidewalls. Lexus has developed an RCF version of the PS4S for the new RCF. It has gotten great reviews and seems to do much better in terms of crisp steering response and under hard cornering loads.
Old 01-29-19, 11:34 AM
winglet
Driver School Candidate

I am installing also brake metal hoses to avoid some brake retard that I have noticed today when fluid is hot, so definitely both things will change the handling. Looking the picture seems too exaggerated how the sidewall has to bend on hard corners.
I am waiting for the PS4S for the new RCF, expecting to have something similar that a Porsche has on Michelin with the N0, N1........ tire ratings, for successive updates.
Old 01-29-19, 12:05 PM
BretTravis
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I thought my wear was bad. The OEM Super Sports on my 2015 lasted 16,000 miles and 9 track days. The 4Ss I replaced them with had more grip/performance; but, are looking sad at 4,000 miles and 2 track days. Considering swapping front to rear to squeeze out a few more miles. Going to try 275/30s all around this summer.
Old 01-29-19, 12:47 PM
winglet
Driver School Candidate

That’s a huge difference regarding miles and track days.
I hope to last the PS4S for at least the same miles than the Pilot Super Sport if not I will back to the initial configuration.
Old 01-31-19, 02:46 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Default I'm Sold On Them...

Had my 4S Tires on since 2nd week of owning car. Granted, they havnt, nor will, see a Track at all - but I'm super impressed w these suckers thus far! People keep saying that they take longer to Heat Up and Grip It, but I must tell you this...took my car out on Monday just as the huge snowflakes were beginning to fall. (Bigger the snowflake, warmer the outside temp is) but it's still much, much colder than a "normal" day driving an F.

I really wanted to see how far I could push these without them sliding or kicking in the TC. I was SHOCKED at how well they did on this type of surface, and weather! Only time I got them to break free enough to counter steer, was on a huge empty lot w the snow just beginning to stick. Also had the TC Off, which enabled me to do a few donuts. This little at home experiment produced better results than many other tires used on my other vehicles! Therefore, I'm a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Lover for good now! 🇺🇸

The following users liked this post:
winglet (01-31-19)
Old 01-31-19, 01:10 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by winglet
I am installing also brake metal hoses to avoid some brake retard that I have noticed today when fluid is hot, so definitely both things will change the handling. Looking the picture seems too exaggerated how the sidewall has to bend on hard corners.
I am waiting for the PS4S for the new RCF, expecting to have something similar that a Porsche has on Michelin with the N0, N1........ tire ratings, for successive updates.
Can you share the brand of metal brake hoses that you bought and where you bought them? Thanks.
Old 01-31-19, 07:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Metal brake lines don't change the feel of anything but your wallet. Bleeding the brakes before and after a track event is critical. That makes a real difference. Braided stainless wrapped lines have their own problems, and they definitely can fail sometimes more easily than OEM rubber. If you plan to change the lines, fine, but don't think your brake feel will change even a little bit. I have done this many, many times and I have built stainless braided teflon lines from bulk hose and mil-spec fittings (Aeroquip parts) as well as installing aftermarket lines with swaged fittings. After all that work to find no difference in braking was really disappointing.
rjmalm (02-01-19)
Old 02-01-19, 05:56 AM
winglet
Driver School Candidate

Hi BUISTER. Brake metal lines brand are BF GOODRICH. They had no lines for this car and model so they bring the OEM during the morning at the factory and they install the new metal ones on the afternoon with Motul brake fluid instead de OEM.
I think that this video have a fair explanation and you can decide if is or not interesting. My total cost was close 200 Euros. Mines has rubber cover over the metal ( here you don’t pass the TUV inspection with metallics) so seems, exactly the same than OEM

Hi LOBUXRACER. Thanks for your opinion. I have not too much experience on track with this car and in general , so I don’t know how is going to be the feeling next time on Circuit, so you can be absolutely right.
I don’t like when you press the brakes and then you feel a small delay that I haven’t felt with other less heavier cars I just expect to solve this issue.
The guy who install it told me that of course I will feel the firm pedal on my first driving ( not only when I am racing) and I can tell you that I noticed the difference , but I don’t know in the other conditions.

Last edited by winglet; 02-01-19 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-01-19, 10:37 AM
autoz4me
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Last day for my Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Has been nearly 15.000 Miles with a couple of times on the racetrack and couple of sporty mountain driving mornings. A little bit surprised that how the front left tire has ended on the track in comparison with the other front and rear.
It is true that I started on my second session (total of four of 20 minutes) with lower psi 2.4 on the left, instead of 2.6 psi on the right, due to the car was working harder the left tires (today 57º).

I am installing now the Michelin PS4S hoping that the stiffer sidewall on this tire will help a little bit more to do not pull off the tire like this. Anyway I think that the PSP has been working quite well for so many miles.

Must have been a lot of right hand turns at that track you were at.

Ive seen this plenty with the above mentioned not enough camber on the working front which is heavily loaded and the tyre rolls to the outside and wears the way shown.
winglet (02-02-19)
Old 02-03-19, 04:39 PM
Lexus125th
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys, I used the PS4S for two track days on my PORSCHE and the tires were literally falling apart. I complained to Michelin, and received an apology stating that this tire is not intended for track use because it does not hold up to increase in track temperature. They did give me one replacement, but recommend the PSS for heavy duty use. But I will say that they preformed amazingly with loads of grip and predictability both on track and street.
Old 02-03-19, 09:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Hi BUISTER. Brake metal lines brand are BF GOODRICH. They had no lines for this car and model so they bring the OEM during the morning at the factory and they install the new metal ones on the afternoon with Motul brake fluid instead de OEM.
I think that this video have a fair explanation and you can decide if is or not interesting. My total cost was close 200 Euros. Mines has rubber cover over the metal ( here you don’t pass the TUV inspection with metallics) so seems, exactly the same than OEM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6LJiPDAr9f8

Hi LOBUXRACER. Thanks for your opinion. I have not too much experience on track with this car and in general , so I don’t know how is going to be the feeling next time on Circuit, so you can be absolutely right.
I don’t like when you press the brakes and then you feel a small delay that I haven’t felt with other less heavier cars I just expect to solve this issue.
The guy who install it told me that of course I will feel the firm pedal on my first driving ( not only when I am racing) and I can tell you that I noticed the difference , but I don’t know in the other conditions.
Just bleed your brakes before the event. The biggest reason people say braided lines improved feel is because they didn't bleed the brakes first to see what the actual difference is. I watched the Engineering Explained video and while there is a little bit of validity to what he is saying, the kevlar (aramid fibre) wrap on our lines from Lexus is pretty close to the equal of the braided stainless lines. I spent a number of years working on aircraft with hoses in the 1000 to 10,000 psi range that were braided stainless, so I know how to build them from parts, and I know how they fail. I also know how they chafe everything around them unless they are covered with some kind of protective wrap or they are tied down with Adel clamps. Last but probably most important, these are not install and forget lines. You need to regularly inspect them for wire breaks and when you exceed 6 wire breaks in any given 25mm length, the hose needs to be replaced, or it may fail catastrophically.

All that said, I installed braided lines on my Supra because they fit my use profile - very low annual mileage, and I check them at least annually for wire breaks. I have a set to put on my IS F, and they will get frequent inspections, but truthfully, I am not putting them on because they will improve feel, but because they will equal OEM performance, cost less, and replace lines that are 10 years old which Lexus and Toyota state is the expected service life of the rubber hoses in the brake system.
Old 02-03-19, 11:37 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
All that said, I installed braided lines on my Supra because they fit my use profile - very low annual mileage, and I check them at least annually for wire breaks. I have a set to put on my IS F, and they will get frequent inspections, but truthfully, I am not putting them on because they will improve feel, but because they will equal OEM performance, cost less, and replace lines that are 10 years old which Lexus and Toyota state is the expected service life of the rubber hoses in the brake system.
This is news to me and an item that I don't believe is hardly discussed much on the forums, particularly for the majority of the ISF and 2nd Gen IS owners whose vehicles are now at or beyond that anticipated service life for the OEM brake lines (2009MY and older).
Old 02-04-19, 03:42 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus125th
Hi guys, I used the PS4S for two track days on my PORSCHE and the tires were literally falling apart. I complained to Michelin, and received an apology stating that this tire is not intended for track use because it does not hold up to increase in track temperature. They did give me one replacement, but recommend the PSS for heavy duty use. But I will say that they preformed amazingly with loads of grip and predictability both on track and str
Aren't the Michelin not an extra sticky tire compound. To understand = "soft" ? If so, it's logical that your tires are what they are after two track days. For me it appears logical in this case.
Old 02-04-19, 07:06 AM
winglet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Just bleed your brakes before the event.Last but probably most important, these are not install and forget lines. You need to regularly inspect them for wire breaks and when you exceed 6 wire breaks in any given 25mm length, the hose needs to be replaced, or it may fail catastrophically.
Thanks, I will keep in mind. Nice to know your thoughts about the safety concerns with this lines.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport